• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sancho panza

Jaguar Land Rover lays off 4500.Big news in the West MIds

Recommended Posts

Hattip Sugar Lips.

https://news.sky.com/story/jaguar-land-rover-to-slash-4500-jobs-as-part-of-25bn-plan-to-reverse-losses-11603631

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) says it plans to cut about 4,500 jobs globally as part of a £2.5bn plan to reverse losses.

The British company, which employs 44,000 in the UK and cut 1,000 temporary workers at its plant in Solihull last year, has been hit by poor sales in China and a drop in demand for diesel cars.

It posted a £90m loss in October.
 

It is believed most of the job losses will affect its managerial, research, sales and design staff.

In its biggest market, China, the car industry recorded its first slump in sales in more than two decades.

Sales fell 6% to 22.7m units last year, the China Passenger Car Association said.

 

24 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

Feeding back in to job losses pretty fast with JLR cutting another 4500 uk jobs and Ford doing similar (exact number unknown)

tick tock..recession in 3,2,1

 

Edited by sancho panza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Jaguar Landrover are blaming falling sales because of Diesel engine cars and China contraction.. 

signalling billions of investment into Hybrid technology.. So they are behind the curve by the sounds of it..  

MP on TV today blaming Brexit uncertainty.. 😂  which leads me to the conclusion that all MP’s are cunts.. 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, macca said:

MP on TV today blaming Brexit uncertainty.. 😂  which leads me to the conclusion that all MP’s are cunts.. 

Brexit clearly the new "weather" (cold, hot or simply unexpectedly mild) for explaining away such things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with LR blaming it on Brexit in particular, isn't helped by the fact their MD is the biggest anti-Brexit whinger ever. He threatened to move everything overseas before the referendum IIRC. Just deserts really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spunko said:

The problem with LR blaming it on Brexit in particular, isn't helped by the fact their MD is the biggest anti-Brexit whinger ever. He threatened to move everything overseas before the referendum IIRC. Just deserts really.

They're also creating thousands of new jobs in Slovenia but he says investment in the UK not going down!  Maybe, with the electric cars, we'll see!

Quite like the cars, not the drivers.

My proud German neighbour bought one when the company was sold to the Germans.  His superior glee was very short lived!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

90% of all car jobs will be lost in the next 10 years. Automation is coming big time. Far more quickly than people think.

Edited by Errol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Long time lurking said:

It arrived in that game a decade ago most of the jobs have already gone 

I’d have thought that too but JLR still employ 40000 at present and the total car workforce globally at BMW has actually been growing in recent years.

The new plug in Mini will be popular. BMW Mini UK employ 8000 at Cowley with another 14000 indirectly through their dealer network

A8452A1D-E2F1-41C5-9252-0FA3D12EE1F6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2019 at 23:08, sancho panza said:

Hattip Sugar Lips.

https://news.sky.com/story/jaguar-land-rover-to-slash-4500-jobs-as-part-of-25bn-plan-to-reverse-losses-11603631

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) says it plans to cut about 4,500 jobs globally as part of a £2.5bn plan to reverse losses.

The British company, which employs 44,000 in the UK and cut 1,000 temporary workers at its plant in Solihull last year, has been hit by poor sales in China and a drop in demand for diesel cars.

It posted a £90m loss in October.
 

It is believed most of the job losses will affect its managerial, research, sales and design staff.

In its biggest market, China, the car industry recorded its first slump in sales in more than two decades.

Sales fell 6% to 22.7m units last year, the China Passenger Car Association said.

 

 

I think the Govt should pass an Act that every OAP should have to buy at least two Range Rover (one day~to~day, one spare)...going on recent events that should solve their drop in sales problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

I’d have thought that too but JLR still employ 40000 at present and the total car workforce globally at BMW has actually been growing in recent years.

The new plug in Mini will be popular. BMW Mini UK employ 8000 at Cowley with another 14000 indirectly through their dealer network

A8452A1D-E2F1-41C5-9252-0FA3D12EE1F6.png

I suppose it depends on how many cars they are producing - is the number of cars made per worker going up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2019 at 18:05, Errol said:

90% of all car jobs will be lost in the next 10 years. Automation is coming big time. Far more quickly than people think.

Didn't Tesla go back on automation as they tried to get ahead of the curve and realised for some tasks they were spending billions/millions to save peanuts and inferred you can go too far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2019 at 23:08, sancho panza said:

In its biggest market, China, the car industry recorded its first slump in sales in more than two decades.

Sales fell 6% to 22.7m units last year, the China Passenger Car Association said.

 

 

They spent £1bn opening a factory in China in 2014.

Tata own them and in 2014 Ratan Tata was on Camoron's business policy advisory group

Here he is getting his GBE in the same year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

I’d have thought that too but JLR still employ 40000 at present and the total car workforce globally at BMW has actually been growing in recent years.

The new plug in Mini will be popular. BMW Mini UK employ 8000 at Cowley with another 14000 indirectly through their dealer network

A8452A1D-E2F1-41C5-9252-0FA3D12EE1F6.png

Most of those will be in sales or the huge finance departments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Democorruptcy said:

They spent £1bn opening a factory in China in 2014.

Tata own them and in 2014 Ratan Tata was on Camoron's business policy advisory group

Here he is getting his GBE in the same year

Well our politicians get peerages for screwing up our industries, why not give `Johnny Foreigner` a chance?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.