• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Ash4781b

Andy Murray

Recommended Posts

Andy Murray looks set to retire from Tennis due to injury. Rather sad as he wants to genuinely play on but from appearances at 31 his body is knackered. Tennis can be brutal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wimbledone.

No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun – for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax – This won’t hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Wimbledone.

No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun – for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax – This won’t hurt.

I don't see Andy Murray as having the flair to have his ashes blasted out of a giant cannon somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll miss Federer much much more, he’ll also be retiring soon, though for age reasons not injury. Feel a touch guilty for that as Murray is a Brit, but it’s the truth. Different class of player, different class of bloke. You can make a Murray (congratulations Judy) but you can’t make a Federer. 

This is not to diminish Murray’s incredible achievements in any way, but he wasn’t always easy to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad to watch to be honest.

I loved tennis when I was younger and despite never playing near his level I'm pretty sure much of the physical damage I have now is due to time spent hammering my body playing 000's of hours on hard courts when I was growing up.

Murray when he started and for a fair portion of his career was comparatively physically and mentally weak. Opponents bullied him, he had poor stamina, was susceptible to heat exhaustion and often looked for a way to throw the towel in earlier than perhaps he should. Admirably he transformed both. On the mental side despite a tendency to the negative he harnessed / controlled that to great effect. Physically in my view outside possibly Nadal he became the strongest most conditioned athlete on tour. He put on significant muscle mass and made massive cardio gains. At his peak it was this that set him apart (and a great returning game). However, I believe the price he has paid is due to these physical changes. Federer for example doesn't put anywhere near the strain on his body to play his game.

Anyhow I hope he finds peace. He's a construct partly of his mother's desire. That singular focus of virtually his whole life is being taken away. I hope he can find peace with that. It's not going to be easy I fear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He won three (i think) Grand slams in the golden era of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. That's a staggering achievement. He had to push his body to an extreme to compete with these guys and for one, brief period he was the best out there - truly unbelievable feat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sugarlips said:

Does this mean we get Tim nice but dim back instead?

The most embarrassing thing about him wasn't the fact that he was a one trick pony waiting for the grass season to come around, but the toothless entourage who saved up a bit of their 'dissabilty' benefit each week to sit at the front of center court in order to wear a daft hat and shout 'come on tiger Tim'. urrrrgggghhh!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I’ll miss Federer much much more, he’ll also be retiring soon, though for age reasons not injury. Feel a touch guilty for that as Murray is a Brit, but it’s the truth. Different class of player, different class of bloke. You can make a Murray (congratulations Judy) but you can’t make a Federer. 

This is not to diminish Murray’s incredible achievements in any way, but he wasn’t always easy to watch. 

Federer was always the most watchable - apart from all the blubbing when he won - but I always enjoyed watching Murray as well - moreso than Djokovitch and probably even Nadal. It's nice to see a bit of rougher talent sometimes, just like it gets boring watching Man City every week.

I think I remember a few years ago all the players complaining there wasn't an off season on the tour, although they were all too competitive/greedy to take a voluntary break.

Edited by steppensheep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maynardgravy said:

The most embarrassing thing about him wasn't the fact that he was a one trick pony waiting for the grass season to come around, but the toothless entourage who saved up a bit of their 'dissabilty' benefit each week to sit at the front of center court in order to wear a daft hat and shout 'come on tiger Tim'. urrrrgggghhh!!!

He played beautiful tennis to watch, and was unlucky to be in Sampras's Wimbledon era or he'd probably have won at least once.

One-trick grass-court pony? He won the Paris Masters in 2003 beating  Davydenko, Grosjean, Kuerten, Federer, Roddick and Pavel. And the small matter of reaching the semi-final at Roland Garros on clay.

I concede many of his supporters were dicks and the media at every Wimbledon was irritating, but they helped me win loads of money betting against him at Wimbledon, so I forgive them too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

British tennis can relax without Murray.

It's quite stressful when you might win.

I preferred it with Tim Henman when you could buy cheaper tickets for early matches, and sell on your lottery ballot finals tickets. 

Focus on the strawberry punits and Pimms.

Silverstone will be the same when Lewis moves from F1 to live in America and drive NASCAR.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

He played beautiful tennis to watch, and was unlucky to be in Sampras's Wimbledon era or he'd probably have won at least once.

One-trick grass-court pony? He won the Paris Masters in 2003 beating  Davydenko, Grosjean, Kuerten, Federer, Roddick and Pavel. And the small matter of reaching the semi-final at Roland Garros on clay.

I concede many of his supporters were dicks and the media at every Wimbledon was irritating, but they helped me win loads of money betting against him at Wimbledon, so I forgive them too!

It's subjective but couldn't disagree more about the 'beautiful tennis'. I thought all that antiquated serve/volley, chip'n charge was tedious to watch. He was on borrowed time when the new crop emerged starting with Federer who could return anything with interest, so i don;t agree either that he was unlucky to have been around in Sampras's era. It was one of the easiest to be araound in IMO.

Sampras - now there is utterly boring tennis on a stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mental Floss said:

Very sad to watch to be honest.

I loved tennis when I was younger and despite never playing near his level I'm pretty sure much of the physical damage I have now is due to time spent hammering my body playing 000's of hours on hard courts when I was growing up.

Murray when he started and for a fair portion of his career was comparatively physically and mentally weak. Opponents bullied him, he had poor stamina, was susceptible to heat exhaustion and often looked for a way to throw the towel in earlier than perhaps he should. Admirably he transformed both. On the mental side despite a tendency to the negative he harnessed / controlled that to great effect. Physically in my view outside possibly Nadal he became the strongest most conditioned athlete on tour. He put on significant muscle mass and made massive cardio gains. At his peak it was this that set him apart (and a great returning game). However, I believe the price he has paid is due to these physical changes. Federer for example doesn't put anywhere near the strain on his body to play his game.

Anyhow I hope he finds peace. He's a construct partly of his mother's desire. That singular focus of virtually his whole life is being taken away. I hope he can find peace with that. It's not going to be easy I fear.

Good points. He added too much weight and stress into the frame he was born with. 

He would have been faster if he hadn't gone as far with it - but obviously less power. 

Wonder if he will look back and regret not holding back a bit on the bulking up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ccc said:

Good points. He added too much weight and stress into the frame he was born with. 

He would have been faster if he hadn't gone as far with it - but obviously less power. 

Wonder if he will look back and regret not holding back a bit on the bulking up. 

Never in a million years, he wanted very, very badly to win. Don't think he'll regret anything that helped that happen.

He was a brilliant tactician sometimes. The total demolition of the Canadian bloke who had beaten Federer in his second Wimbledon final win being a case in point. Federer didn't think of playing that way in the semi-final, he could have done it too, but thought he could beat him without bothering with tactics and got it wrong. Not Murray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he was britain's best player and did well. but he seemed to win against the big 3 when they weren't on top form, big hitters could blast him off court, don't think he would stand a chance against the youngsters coming through now, so another reason to bow out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Never in a million years, he wanted very, very badly to win. Don't think he'll regret anything that helped that happen.

He was a brilliant tactician sometimes. The total demolition of the Canadian bloke who had beaten Federer in his second Wimbledon final win being a case in point. Federer didn't think of playing that way in the semi-final, he could have done it too, but thought he could beat him without bothering with tactics and got it wrong. Not Murray.

I'm sure most people occasionally look back and think what if. It's just human nature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, maynardgravy said:

He won three (i think) Grand slams in the golden era of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. That's a staggering achievement. He had to push his body to an extreme to compete with these guys and for one, brief period he was the best out there - truly unbelievable feat.

This.

Three Grand Slams, two Olympic golds and a Davis Cup is a pretty great achievement for someone who was not necessarily the world's naturally gifted player. In many ways that makes him a better role model for youngsters than some more talented stars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mental Floss said:

Very sad to watch to be honest.

I loved tennis when I was younger and despite never playing near his level I'm pretty sure much of the physical damage I have now is due to time spent hammering my body playing 000's of hours on hard courts when I was growing up.

Murray when he started and for a fair portion of his career was comparatively physically and mentally weak. Opponents bullied him, he had poor stamina, was susceptible to heat exhaustion and often looked for a way to throw the towel in earlier than perhaps he should. Admirably he transformed both. On the mental side despite a tendency to the negative he harnessed / controlled that to great effect. Physically in my view outside possibly Nadal he became the strongest most conditioned athlete on tour. He put on significant muscle mass and made massive cardio gains. At his peak it was this that set him apart (and a great returning game). However, I believe the price he has paid is due to these physical changes. Federer for example doesn't put anywhere near the strain on his body to play his game.

Anyhow I hope he finds peace. He's a construct partly of his mother's desire. That singular focus of virtually his whole life is being taken away. I hope he can find peace with that. It's not going to be easy I fear.

So was it the gym work to get the cardio up and the lifting to build muscle that fucked him up or the actual playing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.