• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

fibre eat more

Just now, sarahbell said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46827426

Graphic

so how many calories in the above

Not sure. I’ve just been diagnosed with a condition that says I need to avoid all wheat, pulses and other stuff I can’t get my head around. Anyhow, been recommended a paleo diet which is basically meat and no fibre type food. 

To say I’m confused is an understatement. 

I've significantly reduced my fibre intake now and upped the meat, particularly red meat. I'm not producing as much waste, no issues with passing. Have always been regular. Someone posted a video in the carnivore diet thread of an auzzie doc talking about fibre. Worth a watch.

I read this, and wondered if those eating more fibre are simply eating less refined carbs which is the real health benefit, which we have discussed here many times before. 

8 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46827426

Graphic

so how many calories in the above

That looks like my sort of  diet tbh,  high carb, low protein. Nuts an omission on that chart which are also high fibre. Should be at least 20 stone on all those carbs, but no a flat 11 stone.

Edited by crashmonitor

Seems reasonable to me tbh. As a fan of the low carb diet which the MSM seem to think this conflicts with, I recall there were plenty of warnings to get enough fibre on LC.

I've got a bag of chia seeds in my drawer at work which I'd add to my morning protein shake to up my fibre. Plus I'd eat loads of salad.

Baked beans or any legumes are really good for fibre intake. A can of baked beans is about 70% of the daily recommended fibre intake. Why haven't they included this, or something like prunes/dried figs? Or linseed bread? Idiots.

That said I tried doing a high fibre diet as I had IBC or similar at the time, it made it worse. Turned out that not drinking enough water was the main culprit.

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

Baked beans or any legumes are really good for fibre intake. A can of baked beans is about 70% of the daily recommended fibre intake.

That said I tried doing a high fibre diet as I had IBC or similar at the time, it made it worse. Turned out that not drinking enough water was the main culprit.

6g per 100g according to googlle

16 minutes ago, One percent said:

Not sure. I’ve just been diagnosed with a condition that says I need to avoid all wheat, pulses and other stuff I can’t get my head around. Anyhow, been recommended a paleo diet which is basically meat and no fibre type food. 

To say I’m confused is an understatement. 

A couple of these a day will sort you out without the calories.

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/solgar-psyllium-husks-fibre-500mg-vegi-capsules-60001422?skuid=001422

I've been on a dry January and ultra low carb diet since 1 Jan and have dropped nearly a stone! I have been doing about an hour of cardio each night and not snacking at all. Then this comes out! I'll drop the low carb thing once I hit my target weight and aim to keep it off through less boozing (December is always pretty heavy!) and more exercise.... much more. 

Thing is, every couple of year's there's a new diet or recommendation. Remember the bad press on saturated fat? Turns out margarine is poison and saturated fat isn't bad. Remember veg oil? Turns out that's awful for you and animal fat is better for frying. 

Will give the fibre thing a go in Feb,  I've been casually reading up on diets (chap at work is obsessed) and, weight gain and in particular fat storing v. fat burning is governed by the insulin response to a meal so if you have to have carbs eat them all in one meal (ideally your last meal of the day) and then insulin spikes and drops overnight, then have a low carb brekkie and lunch. 

I'll report back on how that goes.

Just now, One percent said:

Don’t have a problem with bowl movements. o.O

Neither do I but I know I don't get enough fibre so take a couple of these every now and again.  Maybe stave off the old bowel C.

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

6g per 100g according to googlle

Yep, the cans are 400g. I've got a can of Branston baked beans on my worktop just checked it's 23g of fibre in it.

1 minute ago, spunko said:

Yep, the cans are 400g. I've got a can of Branston baked beans on my worktop just checked it's 23g of fibre in it.

Also good in a horizon event/apocalypse. 

Just make sure you have a means to open them and a spork 

3 minutes ago, montecristo said:

A bit from your link

People suffering from constipation are often advised to improve their condition and promote bowel movements by increasing their daily dietary fibre. Fibre can not be digested by the human body so it passes through without being absorbed. Sources of fibre include fruit, wholegrains, brown rice, pulses and nuts.

Is it a good idea for people who are blocked to shove more waste in there? I think most people could just do with upping the water and generally eating less, particularly of the crap that blocks you up. 

6 minutes ago, Adarmo said:

I've been on a dry January and ultra low carb diet since 1 Jan and have dropped nearly a stone! I have been doing about an hour of cardio each night and not snacking at all. Then this comes out! I'll drop the low carb thing once I hit my target weight and aim to keep it off through less boozing (December is always pretty heavy!) and more exercise.... much more. 

Thing is, every couple of year's there's a new diet or recommendation. Remember the bad press on saturated fat? Turns out margarine is poison and saturated fat isn't bad. Remember veg oil? Turns out that's awful for you and animal fat is better for frying. 

True, but ultimately the advice to eat a diet low in processed foods/sat fat/refined sugar and plenty of fruit, veg and lean meats/fish has stood for decades, way before I was born I think.

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

True, but ultimately the advice to eat a diet low in processed foods/sat fat/refined sugar and plenty of fruit, veg and lean meats/fish has stood for decades, way before I was born I think.

I think the secret is to avoid processed food. Not so much the bacon and sausage but the stuff that is made by chemical processes such as margarine and veg oil. (Think olive oil is ok). 

Just now, One percent said:

I think the secret is to avoid processed food. Not so much the bacon and sausage but the stuff that is made by chemical processes such as margarine and veg oil. (Think olive oil is ok). 

That's kind of how I see it. I'm cooking purely in butter or animal fat now. Binned off the olive oils and 'healthy' spreadable butters. Less lean meat too like chicken and going for the fattier cuts

2 minutes ago, A_P said:

A bit from your link

Is it a good idea for people who are blocked to shove more waste in there? I think most people could just do with upping the water and generally eating less, particularly of the crap that blocks you up. 

You take them with a large glass of water but I take a couple every few days just for the fibre, as I know I don't get enough.  Psyllium has other benefit like being a prebiotic aid.

11 minutes ago, A_P said:

A bit from your link

your large bowel needs content to work

33 minutes ago, A_P said:

I've significantly reduced my fibre intake now and upped the meat, particularly red meat. I'm not producing as much waste, no issues with passing. Have always been regular. Someone posted a video in the carnivore diet thread of an auzzie doc talking about fibre. Worth a watch.

This one, presumably:

Whenever I see stuff like the OP I think of the ecological history of humans -- most of the 'fibre foods' seem to have emerged into the human diet with farming, so from about 12,000 years ago.  It is difficult to be sure, but high-fibre seems to be the recent addition, not the thing that we've evolved to cope with.

Of course, it could be that fibre happens to be healthy, despite humans not being particularly evolved to have a high fibre diet...  

[I note that the So-Called BBC article in the OP did have a bit at the end where an expert suggested a few problems with the research paper discussed, but that part of the article seems to have been removed.]

Edited by dgul

Just now, sarahbell said:

your large bowel needs content to work

I'm not disputing that people shouldn't eat a balanced diet. But if constipated eating more fibre, maybe even a heavy fibre diet just creating more waste? Seems like a recipe for disaster. I can't speak from experience though as I can't recall the last time I was constipated.