• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

fibre eat more

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

I think the secret is to avoid processed food. Not so much the bacon and sausage but the stuff that is made by chemical processes such as margarine and veg oil. (Think olive oil is ok). 

I had some nitrate free bacon the other day. Fair amount of water came out when cooking but decent flavour and unsmoked as well. On offer in Sainburys at £2.50 a pack.

10 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Excellent that might just save someone in the upcoming collapse. 

5 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I had some nitrate free bacon the other day. Fair amount of water came out when cooking but decent flavour and unsmoked as well. On offer in Sainburys at £2.50 a pack.

Not sure how I would identify non nitrate bacon. What is nitrate anyhow? 

35 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46827426

Graphic

so how many calories in the above

NNT in the above refers to "number needed to treat". 

So for every 77 people who follow the advice 1 will get the "less deaths" benefit (presumably they still die at some point?), and for every 167 who follow the advice 1 will get the "less heart disease" benefit.

Personally I'm actually upping my fiber at the moment for shitting related reasons, but if you're shitting A-OK, then upping your fibre based on this study would seem to be of marginal benefit.

4 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

So for every 77 people who follow the advice 1 will get the "less deaths" benefit (presumably they still die at some point?), and for every 167 who follow the advice 1 will get the "less heart disease" benefit.

Personally I'm actually upping my fiber at the moment for shitting related reasons, but if you're shitting A-OK, then upping your fibre based on this study would seem to be of marginal benefit.

Good point. We all have to die of something. 

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

Excellent that might just save someone in the upcoming collapse. 

It's written all over the packaging, the nitrates are apparently the nasty carcinogenic stuff. 

image.jpeg

27 minutes ago, spunko said:

True, but ultimately the advice to eat a diet low in processed foods/sat fat/refined sugar and plenty of fruit, veg and lean meats/fish has stood for decades, way before I was born I think.

Yes also true. 

Whole foods rule. Taste better too imho.

33 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

If the shitting related reasons are constipation then you want to reduce fibre, not increase it. Take it from someone who spent months unable to shit without the help of suppositories.

47 minutes ago, One percent said:

I'd always assumed it was the nitrite (sodium or potassium), not the nitrate salt.

Historically it was used because it was particularly effective at killing bacteria, particularly botulinum -- and thus stopped food poisoning.  I suppose it isn't so important now we've got fridges.  Then again, very few people die from botulism as a result of eating bacon.

You cure bacon using Prague powder, which is about 95% salt and 5%ish sodium (or potassium) nitrite; the 'salt' (taste) is mainly just normal salt, but the nitrite definitely has an impact.  I think that even 'made without nitrites using only natural ingredients' actually use nitrites to get the taste right, only they use nitrites from the 'natural ingredients' rather than Sigma-Aldrich.

48 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

There's a reason why Asians have hulled their rice for millennia. Check out Dr. Gundry on plant toxins. 

Love this forum!

Just gone down a wikipedia hole learning about lectins. Soybeans and castor oil are bad!

I Will read more. Thanks

21 minutes ago, dgul said:

I'd always assumed it was the nitrite (sodium or potassium), not the nitrate salt.

Historically it was used because it was particularly effective at killing bacteria, particularly botulinum -- and thus stopped food poisoning.  I suppose it isn't so important now we've got fridges.  Then again, very few people die from botulism as a result of eating bacon.

I think it is also what give it the pink/red bacon colour.   I remember when I was making Jerky you added it if you wanted pink/red instead of brown/black.

I would wonder what/how they are colouring the bacon if it isn't with potassium nitrate.

1 hour ago, montecristo said:

It isn't entirely clear from the article if it is because the subjects were eating more fibre,   or just more of the types of foods that tend to be high in fibre.

For example,  if they had said "people who eat much more fruit, veg and pulses live slightly longer on average" would that have been another slightly more boring/obvious way of framing exactly the same thing?

When I was very unwell I had a lot of trouble not getting enough fibre.but of you cannot eat gluten it is very hard to do so. I found that a tin of baked beans daily was the minimum needed as a tin gave me about half of the required amount of fibre. I also began to eat lots of whole dried prunes - found that Tesco was the best bang for buck.

Onions are also good. A chicken biyriani made with chicken and a good amount of friend onions is very good. If you can eat riche then add brown mushroom rice to it. Such a meal can easy give you half your daily fibre also.

46 minutes ago, This Time said:

If the shitting related reasons are constipation then you want to reduce fibre, not increase it. Take it from someone who spent months unable to shit without the help of suppositories.

It's probably dehydration more than anything else. I've been intermittent fasting the last couple of weeks and I can never be arsed to drink enough water to compensate for what you miss from the food.

For those who believe their have some kind of coeliac / gluten and/or legume problem may I suggest you investigate real chicken soup made with the bones of chicken cooked in the soup to get the gelatin out of the bones. There is a lot of research about how this aids enormously in coating or lining the stomach and gut. 

This is the main reason why I bought one of those instant pot cookers - they are superb at getting the marrow / gelatin out of chicken, lamb, beef bones either whilst making soup/casseroles or when just using left over bones to make your own broth or stock.

This marrow / gelatin used to be a major part of our diet as hunter gatherers but it is something missing from most Western diets.

Also using more organ cuts of meats is supposed to help enormously but it is something I have always had trouble with eating unless forced to since I was a child - perhaps there being a lesson in there.

14 minutes ago, Libspero said:

It isn't entirely clear from the article if it is because the subjects were eating more fibre,   or just more of the types of foods that tend to be high in fibre.

For example,  if they had said "people who eat much more fruit, veg and pulses live slightly longer on average" would that have been another slightly more boring/obvious way of framing exactly the same thing?

That's sort-of the point that the independent expert said that they later deleted from the So-Called BBC article (also, he said it could be to do with the sort of people that are keen to lose weight through diet, which is often fat people).

5 hours ago, A_P said:

I'm not disputing that people shouldn't eat a balanced diet. But if constipated eating more fibre, maybe even a heavy fibre diet just creating more waste? Seems like a recipe for disaster. I can't speak from experience though as I can't recall the last time I was constipated.

Water is the most important element of diet for treating constipation which is why the most effective treatments for the condition like lactulose are designed to help the gut retain water. In some instances where there is a blockage in the gut eating more fibre can be positively dangerous.

7 hours ago, spunko said:

True, but ultimately the advice to eat a diet low in processed foods/sat fat/refined sugar and plenty of fruit, veg and lean meats/fish has stood for decades, way before I was born I think.

Baked beans are out then?

5 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

For those who believe their have some kind of coeliac / gluten and/or legume problem may I suggest you investigate real chicken soup made with the bones of chicken cooked in the soup to get the gelatin out of the bones. There is a lot of research about how this aids enormously in coating or lining the stomach and gut. 

This is the main reason why I bought one of those instant pot cookers - they are superb at getting the marrow / gelatin out of chicken, lamb, beef bones either whilst making soup/casseroles or when just using left over bones to make your own broth or stock.

This marrow / gelatin used to be a major part of our diet as hunter gatherers but it is something missing from most Western diets.

Also using more organ cuts of meats is supposed to help enormously but it is something I have always had trouble with eating unless forced to since I was a child - perhaps there being a lesson in there.

Very thrifty, and tasty advice, but won't the Labour Party be after you?:o

On the rare occasion I cook a whole chicken, I am sure I throw a lot of goodness away.

As a lad I remember chicken being a real treat for Xmas, or Easter, and I remember my mum doing this. Wartime cooking mentality I guess?

Edited by MrPin