• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Great Guy

Line Managers

1 minute ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Aye. Entitled behaviour and victim mentality. But of course it's all the fault of their manager.

You take the command, you take the rap! I look after my hens as they lay the golden eggs in the end and save my arse, from the Financial Director.

Just now, Great Guy said:

The sad thing is this is probably one of your better posts!

Thank you.

May I suggest that your 2019 new year's resolution should be that you stop fucking your sister...

XYY

8 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Aye. I have mouths to feed and we all make sacrifices. Anyway, I take the view that chugging on the corporate bell end for money is preferable to chugging on strangers bellends for money. Like your good self.

Fuck off daft cunt.

XYY

Just now, The XYY Man said:

Thank you.

May I suggest that your 2019 new year's resolution should be that you stop fucking your sister...

XYY

Yeah nice one. How do you decide what you're going to post? You seem to post nothing but a variation of cunt/ incest/ pussy/ Mrs XYY.  Do you have a dice to help you decide what you're going to write?

Maybe your NY resolution should be to get some fresh material?

2 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Aye. Entitled behaviour and victim mentality. But of course it's all the fault of their manager.

Not all the management is great, but there's a toxic "winter of discontent" attitude, on the part of a sizable minority, to not accept even basic requests to carry out a particular task simply because the instruction came from a superior. The place is quite heavily unionised, which I would consider commendable in theory, but which is actually toxic in practice. Nobody wants to work in a Chinese sweatshop but there is no collaborative effort at all. Just an ingrained "them and us" attitude like something out of a Peter Sellers film, but without the laughs. I should clarify that this is all in the heads of the shop floor staff; in my experience the management have just been performing their jobs as you would expect.

Just now, Great Guy said:

Yeah nice one. How do you decide what you're going to post? You seem to post nothing but a variation of cunt/ incest/ pussy/ Mrs XYY.  Do you have a dice to help you decide what you're going to write?

Fuck off daft cunt.

XYY

16 minutes ago, eight said:

Recently been working at a large employer for the first time in many years. Never thought I would go all @SNACR on this, but if this place is at all representative then I am staggered at the absolute wankerishness of the average working stiff. Just childish, workshy, willfully disruptive arseholes. I'm almost hoping the place closes, to see how they would fare in the employment marketplace.

Exactly why I walked out the last place to be 100% freelance. 

It is not a defence company is it ?

Just now, ad_ceng said:

Exactly why I walked out the last place to be 100% freelance. 

It is not a defence company is it ?

Hardly; it's a well known global logistics company, providing fulfillment for a well known high street retailer.

Maybe I'm spoiled because I only work there now and then; perhaps if I was relying on it for my daily bread then I might feel differently. However I've had some pretty shit jobs and this is light years better than all of those. Money for old rope, basically.

28 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

What the fuck is a "line" manager...?

Seriously - what is this poncy English that you pussy-whipped wankers are speaking...?

A "Manager" is what you have.

No other words need to be attached to that title.

It is self evident.

"Line" manager...?

Fuck off...!!!

XYY

A line manager is distinct from someone who may have management authority over you for some specific limited purpose. E.g. traders in a bank, these days at any rate, report to a desk head or whatever but still have to do what the risk manager tells them to when it comes to certain aspects of the job.

1 minute ago, eight said:

Not all the management is great, but there's a toxic "winter of discontent" attitude, on the part of a sizable minority, to not accept even basic requests to carry out a particular task simply because the instruction came from a superior. The place is quite heavily unionised, which I would consider commendable in theory, but which is actually toxic in practice. Nobody wants to work in a Chinese sweatshop but there is no collaborative effort at all. Just an ingrained "them and us" attitude like something out of a Peter Sellers film, but without the laughs. I should clarify that this is all in the heads of the shop floor staff; in my experience the management have just been performing their jobs as you would expect.

Interesting, we have a similar situation at one of our places. Nothing that anyone does to try and assuage the unions works. The place is stuck in a rut, 'management' have to take a share of the blame, but any attempt to put things right just results in an alternative set of gripes.

One of the guys that works 'shopfloor' explained it to me like this: 'this place is a wheel that turns, it doesn't matter who you put at the top or what they do it's going to keep turning in the same way at the same speed that it's always done'.

Great, until corporate decides you're too much trouble and sells you to the Chinese. Let's see how your theory works out then.

5 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Some of the regulars have become a bit sterile but it keeps the traffic numbers up.

55 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Wrong. The more senior person has failed. He is probably spending more time looking upwards, brown nosing, than sorting out the needs of his (or maybe her) team.

If you have a team, you will spend more time motivating them, than doing stuff yourself. As your team rises to the challenge, you rise with them. If you stand on their shoulders and apportion blame, you are all sinking.

In my world, managers expect their underlings to protect them and make them look good. Rather than being their to support their staff. 

Just now, One percent said:

In my world, managers expect their underlings to protect them and make them look good. Rather than being their to support their staff. 

Leave the Matrix.

4 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

A line manager is distinct from someone who may have management authority over you for some specific limited purpose. E.g. traders in a bank, these days at any rate, report to a desk head or whatever but still have to do what the risk manager tells them to when it comes to certain aspects of the job.

Sorry Bluey, but there is no distinction.

A turd is a turd -  no matter how many times you may wish to polish it...

XYY

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

A "line manager" signs your time sheets and expenses. He (She?) doesn't have to know what you are doing.

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

A "line manager" signs your time sheets and expenses. He (She?) doesn't have to know what you are doing.

Then this person adds no value - and should be exterminated...!

Or perhaps be shagged - if he/she has canny tits like...

XYY

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

Then this person adds no value - and should be exterminated...!

Or perhaps be shagged - if he/she has canny tits like...

XYY

Well obviously Mr XYY you would be a valuable addition to our HR department.

53 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

:)

Why thank you Pinny

I like to think that I cover all the bases...

;)

XYY

I imagine you are in charge of a few younger people at your place in SunderHell. I used to be. They are chirpy fuckers like a troop of monkeys. They will be (usually) pretty amazed at the bloke in the tie, who can actually work a soldering iron, or a lathe. They are not too impressed by clipboards and a powerpoint presentation. Nor am I!

Actually I was not inferring that working a lathe with a tie on is good practice.:S

Edited by MrPin

My rules on managers are simple.

I can cope with bastards as managers.

I can cope with useless managers.

I can not tolerate useless bastards as managers

Unfortunately the supply of the latter appears to have been increasing exponentially in the last decade.

Businesses can survive categories one and two but not category three 

Edited by Virgil Caine

Just now, Virgil Caine said:

My rules on managers is simple.

I can cope with bastards as managers.

I can cope with useless managers.

I can not tolerate useless bastards as managers

Unfortunately the supply of the latter appears to have been increasing exponentially in the last decade.

Businesses can survive categories one and two but not category three 

I'm afraid I can't put up with either. And I usually tell them.

33 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Great, until corporate decides you're too much trouble and sells you to the Chinese. Let's see how your theory works out then.

I guess automation is the big risk to "my" lot, although the nature of the work means it's not at the easier end of the scale - fortunately for them. But if a company bigwig was to ask for my ideas on improving productivity then, with regret, that could be my only recommendation as the alternative - trying to change "human nature" - appears to be impossible.

Or maybe they're all happy in their rut of shirking and confrontation, and I'm the one out of kilter? Maybe I'm a scab? I just feel that their increasingly creative ways of avoiding work are harder work than just doing the work. If your idea of winning at life is appearing to come off best in front of your mates in a petty confrontation with some overpromoted (ie. to one level above you) speccy twat with a clipboard, then who am I to judge?

The industry I work in would get along a lot better if they got rid of 50% of the employees. They know this and every so often have a purge where they always seem to get rid of the wrong half.......

55 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

My facts don’t care about your opinions.