• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Great Guy

Line Managers

8 minutes ago, Option5 said:

The industry I work in would get along a lot better if they got rid of 50% of the employees. They know this and every so often have a purge where they always seem to get rid of the wrong half.......

Aye, me you fucker, but I still skimmed them for a good rate!xD

1 hour ago, TheBlueCat said:

A line manager is distinct from someone who may have management authority over you for some specific limited purpose. E.g. traders in a bank, these days at any rate, report to a desk head or whatever but still have to do what the risk manager tells them to when it comes to certain aspects of the job.

Trader in a bank is not a job.9_9

4 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Trader in a bank is not a job.9_9

Ok then, a bin man has two bosses every time he goes out on rounds. One is the truck driver, the other is his line manager back at base.

3 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

:)

And the very real world that I live in doesn't give a shit about your alleged "facts" either Bluey...

;)

XYY

I’m giving you the facts as to what those terms mean in common usage within most companies. That you, or I for that matter, don’t think it’s a good way of running anything is utterly irrelevant.

Edited by TheBlueCat

Just now, TheBlueCat said:

I’m giving you the facts as to what those terms mean in common usage within most companies. That you, or I for that matter, don’t think it’s a good way of running anything is utterly irrelevant.

Fuck off bum boy...

;)

XYY

7 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Ok then, a bin man has two bosses every time he goes out on rounds. One is the truck driver, the other is his line manager back at base. 

Or he has one boss back at base, and a chauffeur. :)

You have to be able to do the job to be a worker, but not to manage that worker. Levels of management seem to be only there to dilute the blame for any decisions made.

Oh and having meetings and making PowerPoint presentations.

My bosses request regular reports ect. And they are told that I prefer to report on exception, no report means all is well. I have enough of a past record that they tend to accept my methods.

3 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Man milk.

I spuz for Britain me like...!!!

;)

XYY

:wanker:

Just now, MrPin said:

Ah this is one myth I never understood.O.o

The Japs have the right idea. The Japanese word for a professional guy with a career is 'sarariman' which translates as err... Salary man. 

As an aside, Japanese is quite a cool language, it picked up loads of words from English. So I spend all my time there trying to translate signs into English. Pushchair in Japanese is 'baby car', written in katakana as bebi ka. Which is my current favourite.

Just now, Roger_Mellie said:

The Japs have the right idea. The Japanese word for a professional guy with a career is 'sarariman' which translates as err... Salary man. 

As an aside, Japanese is quite a cool language, it picked up loads of words from English. So I spend all my time there trying to translate signs into English. Pushchair in Japanese is 'baby car', written in katakana as bebi ka. Which is my current favourite.

I'm not sure the Japs are any happier than I am.

I've generally been both throughout my working career. Most LMs are cucked by their LMs who are in turn cucked by their LMs and on it goes. Nothing worse than having to implement bollocks you don't agree with, a lot of LM are just the plebs put at the wheel of the ship when it is pointed towards the rocks. Right in the firing line when it goes wrong. Find most staff LM or employee are just trying to get through another week unscathed. 

1 minute ago, SillyBilly said:

I've generally been both throughout my working career. Most LMs are cucked by their LMs who are in turn cucked by their LMs and on it goes. Nothing worse than having to implement bollocks you don't agree with, a lot of LM are just the plebs put at the wheel of the ship when it is pointed towards the rocks. Right in the firing line when it goes wrong. Find most staff LM or employee are just trying to get through another week unscathed. 

Yea, the Shadow of  the Light of Pin has never darkened their souls. Repent or be damned!:Old:

5 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

OK, so how does that change the point that was made?

Someone with the 'career' of trader, doing some kind of job in a bank has more than one boss:ph34r:

I think it's the fact that people set out to be managers whereas it used to be that the more experienced workers were put in charge (foreman etc).

Now they arrive with a degree in all the business skills but not much experience of what the job entails or how to relate to their underlings.

Managers can rise above the basics if they're high enough in the organisation but "line managers" need some practical experience.

18 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Or he has one boss back at base, and a chauffeur. :)

You have to be able to do the job to be a worker, but not to manage that worker. Levels of management seem to be only there to dilute the blame for any decisions made.

Whatever. I'm explaining what a line manager means in common business parlance, not attempting to justify a method of management. If you want to argue about the former then you're an idiot, if you want to discuss the latter then why not start a thread on the subject, it could be interesting?

9 minutes ago, Option5 said:

I think it's the fact that people set out to be managers whereas it used to be that the more experienced workers were put in charge (foreman etc).

Now they arrive with a degree in all the business skills but not much experience of what the job entails or how to relate to their underlings.

Managers can rise above the basics if they're high enough in the organisation but "line managers" need some practical experience.

I would guess that's always happened, but I don't know if it's worse now than it's ever been. I hear stories from the old school (not many of them left) who bemoan the lack of what used to essentially be an officer class within the organisation - usually people recruited directly after a post-grad degree and put straight in charge of a sizeable team. That pretty much never happens now.

Organisational behaviour is a complex topic in my view. Much more complex than a simple distinction between worker/manager and what attributes/experience each should have.

Edited by Roger_Mellie

Whatever. I'm explaining what a line manager means in common business parlance, not attempting to justify a method of management. If you want to argue about the former then you're an idiot, if you want to discuss the latter then why not start a thread on the subject, it could be interesting?

Idiot? That's one of the nicer things I've been called :)

So, for the benefit of those of us too stupid to understand,what is the exact job description of a 'line' manager?

Like I said, it's a career, not a job.

Someone hired to share/take the blame.

Google? Really? :D:D

The site you linked to is American and full of pretentious corporate speak.

Read more :)

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/about-us

20 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Like I said, it's a career, not a job.

Someone hired to share/take the blame.

Google? Really? :D:D

The site you linked to is American and full of pretentious corporate speak.

Read more :)

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/about-us

This is a very strange conversation. Someone asked what "line manager" meant and I described what it means in common usage - pretty uncontroversial and something 5 seconds with google would have told you anyway. You on the other hand seem determined to turn a straightforward factual question into some kind of weird argument about how management should be done and about which I have made no statement at all. Very odd.