• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

15 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

This is a very strange conversation. Someone asked what "line manager" meant and I described what it means in common usage - pretty uncontroversial and something 5 seconds with google would have told you anyway. You on the other hand seem determined to turn a straightforward factual question into some kind of weird argument about how management should be done and about which I have made no statement at all. Very odd.

I'm a very odd person but I tend to verify by other means whatever I find on Google.

As far as I can ascertain It's a made up title that seems to cover anyone who has someone "beneath" them in the workplace.

Fancy name for a normal job like environmental maintenance officer is for bin man.

A title for titles sake.

You suggested that anyone who didn't see it your way, and by default me was an idiot, so I'm acting like one. Which btw doesn't mean you were wrong :D

1 hour ago, Option5 said:

I'm a very odd person but I tend to verify by other means whatever I find on Google.

As far as I can ascertain It's a made up title that seems to cover anyone who has someone "beneath" them in the workplace.

Fancy name for a normal job like environmental maintenance officer is for bin man.

A title for titles sake.

You suggested that anyone who didn't see it your way, and by default me was an idiot, so I'm acting like one. Which btw doesn't mean you were wrong :D

I you’ll find that this is where the people that care live.

4 hours ago, Option5 said:

Or he has one boss back at base, and a chauffeur. :):wanker:

I recently bought a Rolls Royce, and was disappointed to find that it didn't come with a driver.

All that money spent on a new car, and nothing to chauffeur it....

On 12/01/2019 at 03:05, Great Guy said:

My present line manager isn't the best. Before Christmas someone was off for a couple of weeks and I had to cover other people's duties. This week I was asked about the work I should have been doing...

LM: what about this project you're working on?

Me: It's been slow as I continually have to firefight in other areas.

LM: it really needs done and is behind schedule.

Me: before Christmas I was tasked with doing other things.

LM: you should just have said you couldn't do these other things.

FFS, it was him that told me to do the other stuff. 

I have to admit having a good line manager is awesome. You get so much stuff done in an effective manner. A bad one means you fuck about doing the same stuff again and again and then you lose motivation. My present line manager technically isn't very good and he tells me stuff that's just wrong. It's very very hard to handle a situation where you're getting told to do something which just isn't right.

A competent manager has at least the following attributes:

1. consistent - you nearly always know how they're going to act in a given situation

2. clear & reasonable in their demands - they tell you what needs to get done and by when and those timelines are reasonable based on your ability and the facts to hand

3. helps clear roadblocks so you can get your stuff done

4. gives factual, clear and honest feedback but has good enough interpersonal skills to make sure that's not generally a negative experience (unless you're an idiot in which case you need to be told) 

5. understands your market value and makes sure you're paid it

6. makes sure you know what's going on in the organization and how it will impact you

7. doesn't micromanage

8. has a sense of humour

9. knows enough about what you do that you can have a constructive conversation about whatever it is you're working on

10. supports your ongoing development whatever that may mean for you (could mean nothing if you're happy exactly where you are doing what you do forever)

A really great manager - very rare - will also be inspirational in some way. Hard to define, and I've only ever had one in 35+ years of working who was.

8 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

A competent manager has at least the following attributes:

1. consistent - you nearly always know how they're going to act in a given situation

2. clear & reasonable in their demands - they tell you what needs to get done and by when and those timelines are reasonable based on your ability and the facts to hand

3. helps clear roadblocks so you can get your stuff done

4. gives factual, clear and honest feedback but has good enough interpersonal skills to make sure that's not generally a negative experience (unless you're an idiot in which case you need to be told) 

5. understands your market value and makes sure you're paid it

6. makes sure you know what's going on in the organization and how it will impact you

7. doesn't micromanage

8. has a sense of humour

9. knows enough about what you do that you can have a constructive conversation about whatever it is you're working on

10. supports your ongoing development whatever that may mean for you (could mean nothing if you're happy exactly where you are doing what you do forever)

A really great manager - very rare - will also be inspirational in some way. Hard to define, and I've only ever had one in 35+ years of working who was.

Meanwhile, in the real world,    a team of 5 is having a pep talk on time management and how they need to step up to fill in for the 10 people who walked out the other week.

Just now, spygirl said:

Meanwhile, in the real world,    a team of 5 is having a pep talk on time management and how they need to step up to fill in for the 10 people who walked out the other week.

Depends where you work I guess! 

On 12/01/2019 at 17:32, eight said:

Recently been working at a large employer for the first time in many years. Never thought I would go all @SNACR on this, but if this place is at all representative then I am staggered at the absolute wankerishness of the average working stiff. Just childish, workshy, willfully disruptive arseholes. I'm almost hoping the place closes, to see how they would fare in the employment marketplace.

This is gold

'blah, blah management this, blah, blah management that'

All sounds superficially plausible until (news reporter) 'haven't there been very high levels of absenteeism of 25% of Mondays and Fridays?' - awkward pause.

The first bloke speaking's gripe apparently seems to be they've got outside managers from Longbridge and Coventry with the implication someone local would be much superior with presumably their zero experience of car manufacturing management by no means holding them back in any way. 

Edited by SNACR

54 minutes ago, SNACR said:

This is gold

All sounds superficially plausible until (news reporter) 'haven't there been very high levels of absenteeism of 25% of Mondays and Fridays?' - awkward pause.

The first bloke speaking's gripe apparently seems to be they've got outside managers from Longbridge and Coventry with the implication someone local would be much superior with presumably their zero experience of car manufacturing management by no means holding them back in any way. 

Meanwhile in Japan, though I do wonder about some of the aspects of lean manufacturing and processes. Do wonder though, all these processes and check systems to make your staff more efficient when actually the big elephant in the room doesn't;t seem to be present, a lot of these cells seem to be doing inspection, I'd have thought by now with CAD/EDA being so advanced linking that to computerized visual inspection would be much more efficient, unless really short runs.

4 hours ago, SNACR said:

This is gold

I'm suspected for some time that the whole thing is deliberate. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kickback for employing the otherwise unemployable. It's like working in the school playground, FFS.

12 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Friday 9:30am

Line Manager: do project X, that takes priority.

Me: OK

Today 11:30am

Line Manager: Drop project X, project Y is now priority.

Hope you are keeping a record for when it all goes Pete tong 

21 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Friday 9:30am

Line Manager: do project X, that takes priority.

Me: OK

Today 11:30am

Line Manager: Drop project X, project Y is now priority.

So what's the problem?