• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
whitevanman

Bezos Divorce

2 hours ago, Talking Monkey said:

Kin hell he did good then going from working in recruiting to doing the Amazon thing

He did! I’ll post some more on this in the stealth forum.

2 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Looks/Money/Status - considering he has 2 out of 3 in spades, you'd think he could could have pulled better.

That’s a bit of a shallow comment there. o.O

4 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

In this case it’s clear to me she deserves half. Back when Bezos started Amazon she was the one going out to work to pay the bills (and ensure health coverage) whilst he got to do his own thing after quitting a decently paid job with a hedge fund, so it’s not like she’s some kind of gold digger or whatever. 

In my book that doesn't entitle someone to half of everything that the other half has built, she hasn't been running the day to day business at any point. And it isn't like she hasn't lived a privileged life up to now. To be honest I find it deeply worrying that people think like that, but c'est la vie.

If you think about it, it's a very worrying precedent if it gets applied to anything else.

26 minutes ago, One percent said:

Thing is, you don’t know...  so are going purely on looks. 

What is wrong with her looks?! I have dribbled all over my keyboard. At least I hope it's dribble.

2 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

What is wrong with her looks?! I have dribbled all over my keyboard. At least I hope it's dribble.

Don’t ask me, I’m a woman, can’t judge. 

Now put a load of pictures of blokes in front of me, I could offer a considered opinion. 

39 minutes ago, spunko said:

In my book that doesn't entitle someone to half of everything that the other half has built, she hasn't been running the day to day business at any point. And it isn't like she hasn't lived a privileged life up to now. To be honest I find it deeply worrying that people think like that, but c'est la vie.

If you think about it, it's a very worrying precedent if it gets applied to anything else.

I don’t see why this situation is any different to any initial investor in a company getting payback. She and Bezos went into Amazon with no capital and effectively joint funded it by paying for his time and effort. That they happened to be married is somewhat coincidental.

3 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

I don’t see why this situation is any different to any initial investor in a company getting payback. She and Bezos went into Amazon with no capital and effectively joint funded it by paying for his time and effort. That they happened to be married is somewhat coincidental.

I don't know much about the early days of the company but I don't think her input would be even 10% of his, over the life of the business. 

If they split it 50/50 who will likely be richer in 10 years time? I think everyone knows. 

You seem to know a bit about the company, Is she an investor in terms of money or something else? 

10 minutes ago, spunko said:

I don't know much about the early days of the company but I don't think her input would be even 10% of his, over the life of the business. 

If they split it 50/50 who will likely be richer in 10 years time? I think everyone knows. 

You seem to know a bit about the company, Is she an investor in terms of money or something else? 

Bezos worked for free for Amazon to start with before he got first round investment. During that period she was paying all their living costs from her income. My understanding is that they jointly funded the other start up costs from their savings from the DE shaw days. In that respect, she was an initial investor of at least the same scale as Bezos and this is just a standard return on investment that any founder would expect regardless of whether they continued working for the firm.

4 hours ago, One percent said:

Thing is, you don’t know...  so are going purely on looks. 

Bezos obviously thinks she is lovely but then there is no fool like a mega wealthy late middle aged male fool.

3 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Bezos worked for free for Amazon to start with before he got first round investment. During that period she was paying all their living costs from her income. My understanding is that they jointly funded the other start up costs from their savings from the DE shaw days. In that respect, she was an initial investor of at least the same scale as Bezos and this is just a standard return on investment that any founder would expect regardless of whether they continued working for the firm.

She gets 50% of his holfing.

Thdn demands smazon pay a dividend.....

This is one case where I think the woman does deserve a sizeable proportion of the wealth created, up to 50%.  And many of you know I think most splits in divorce are pure financial rape of men and are grossly unfair, but in this case without her support and input from the start he would not have ended up with his wealth.  She was, in effect, an investor in his dream from day one.

2 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

his parents loaned him 300k and he put in something like 10k.so if she matched him she put 10k ish in.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

She gets 50% of his holfing.

Thdn demands smazon pay a dividend.....

will be interesting if she is paid in shares and trys to off load the lot.

9 hours ago, wherebee said:

This is one case where I think the woman does deserve a sizeable proportion of the wealth created, up to 50%.  And many of you know I think most splits in divorce are pure financial rape of men and are grossly unfair, but in this case without her support and input from the start he would not have ended up with his wealth.  She was, in effect, an investor in his dream from day one.

Agreed.

One would assume a head of industry to be tough as nails but if these leaked texts are genuine, he's gushing over this woman like a love struck 15 year old:

https://heartiste.wordpress.com/2019/01/11/jeff-bezos-failed-the-jumbotron-test/

10 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

I respect what you're saying but I don't think we'll ever agree on it. Being an early investor shouldn't entitle someone to 50% of a business that has grown to such an extent and without any further input from her. 

On the timescale of the business her input was tiny. And she's already presumably reaped serious financial rewards for being an early benefactor. 

4 hours ago, spunko said:

I respect what you're saying but I don't think we'll ever agree on it. Being an early investor shouldn't entitle someone to 50% of a business that has grown to such an extent and without any further input from her. 

On the timescale of the business her input was tiny. And she's already presumably reaped serious financial rewards for being an early benefactor. 

Why would she be treated worse than an outside investor though? If I put, say, 10K into someone else's startup that does really well even though I'll get diluted out by further rounds of funding (Bezos is down to 16% now), then I get all the growth based on my shares - that's kind of a fundamental aspect of capitalism and property rights. Not any different from that guy who left Facebook in the very early days and who is now worth billions.

3 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Why would she be treated worse than an outside investor though? If I put, say, 10K into someone else's startup that does really well even though I'll get diluted out by further rounds of funding (Bezos is down to 16% now), then I get all the growth based on my shares - that's kind of a fundamental aspect of capitalism and property rights. Not any different from that guy who left Facebook in the very early days and who is now worth billions. 

It isn't really about the dollar amount, more the shareholding. She doesn't own any shares  - as far as I can tell. Why doesn't she own any shares? Because presumably she thought she didn't "need" them as he'd stick around. Just a guess anyway, maybe she does own shares - in which case, fair play to her.

RE That Facebook guy, I assume you mean Peter Thiel, who is self-made rather than marrying into it. He made his money with PayPal through graft and right place, right time.

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

It isn't really about the dollar amount, more the shareholding. She doesn't own any shares  - as far as I can tell. Why doesn't she own any shares? Because presumably she thought she didn't "need" them as he'd stick around. Just a guess anyway, maybe she does own shares - in which case, fair play to her.

RE That Facebook guy, I assume you mean Peter Thiel, who is self-made rather than marrying into it. He made his money with PayPal through graft and right place, right time.

I think she does actually own shares - I can't recall the details but I seem to remember them having a joint holding via some financial structure or other.

Thiel is a case in point (it wasn't who I was thinking of but the it's the same concept): he invested 500K right at the start and got back billions despite never doing much else. Mrs Bezos likely invested a similar amount in Amazon in total - cash for the initial start-up and then paying all their living costs whilst he worked for free. It really does seem like a joint venture to me.

I'd have a completely different opinion if she'd married him a couple of years after it was up and running and Bezos was already being paid a salary etc.

Just now, TheBlueCat said:

I think she does actually own shares - I can't recall the details but I seem to remember them having a joint holding via some financial structure or other.

Thiel is a case in point (it wasn't who I was thinking of but the it's the same concept): he invested 500K right at the start and got back billions despite never doing much else. Mrs Bezos likely invested a similar amount in Amazon in total - cash for the initial start-up and then paying all their living costs whilst he worked for free. It really does seem like a joint venture to me.

I'd have a completely different opinion if she'd married him a couple of years after it was up and running and Bezos was already being paid a salary etc.

I can understand now, I had assumed she put in something minor like £500 or something. If she was on a high salary then I suppose she could have invested much more.

You originally said, IIRC, that she paid the household bills and that's all I thought her input was.

Anyway, don't get married if you're entrepreneurial :Old:.

31 minutes ago, spunko said:

I can understand now, I had assumed she put in something minor like £500 or something. If she was on a high salary then I suppose she could have invested much more.

You originally said, IIRC, that she paid the household bills and that's all I thought her input was.

Anyway, don't get married if you're entrepreneurial :Old:.

Ah, ok, I wasn't clear - she also gave up what could have been a hugely well paid career in its own right when they moved from NYC to Seattle by the way. My advice to everyone  is don't get married and don't cohabit in some jurisdictions (e.g. most of Canada) but then I'm a bitter cynic on that point!

On 13/01/2019 at 02:58, One percent said:

Don’t ask me, I’m a woman, can’t judge. 

Now put a load of pictures of blokes in front of me, I could offer a considered opinion. 

According to Jay Z there isnt such a thing as an ugly billionaire..