• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Durabo

Prison sentences under six months to end?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46847162

Short sentences are "long enough to damage you and not long enough to heal you".

An MoJ spokesperson said: "As we have said previously, short sentences are too often ineffective, provide little opportunity to rehabilitate offenders and lead to unacceptably high rates of reoffending.

"That's why we are exploring potential alternatives, but this work is ongoing and we have reached no conclusions at this time."

What does the hive mind think? Soft on crime or a sensible way to rehabilitate/prevent future offences?

Probably the right thing to do.   The short jail sentences do seem to be particularly punishing -- eg, A guy locally was put away for a week or so for selling smuggled cigarettes at his shop -- he was never the same again.

The question is what to do with the people that were punished with a short jail sentence?  I'll tentatively suggest that they be forced to go on dozens and dozens of corporate training courses for diversity etc.  That's certainly punishing enough.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

Probably the right thing to do.   The short jail sentences do seem to be particularly punishing -- eg, A guy locally was put away for a week or so for selling smuggled cigarettes at his shop -- he was never the same again.

The question is what to do with the people that were punished with a short jail sentence?  I'll tentatively suggest that they be forced to go on dozens and dozens of corporate training courses for diversity etc.  That's certainly punishing enough.

Agreed.

Prison must be for viloence and seriius crimes.

Sending a fist time offender for flogging black fags is stupid.

Prison sentence are only wortyh it for crimes warranting at least 2 years.

Most nin violnt crimes would be best dealt dealt with by enforced community service andor fines.

Or even weekend prison.

Take Joe Bellend. Forcing him to work and putting him under curfue i.e no weekend out is bigger threat than 6 months in fjail, which has some kudos with thick wimmin. Get him picking up dogshit o clearing weeds at weekend. Then sat back home with tag. Much much cheaper too.

5 minutes ago, dgul said:

Just restrict benefits, if claiming them.

Fair enough. The substitute is total house arrest. No venturing outside the curtilage at any time for the duration of the sentence. GPS is perfectly accurate enough to monitor that. If you are single then meals are delivered to you. Flag put in front garden that says 'Criminal" (;))

Edited by Hopeful

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Fair enough. The substitute is total house arrest. No venturing outside the curtilage at any time for the duration of the sentence. GPS is perfectly accurate enough to monitor that. If you are single then meals are delivered to you. Flag put in front garden that says 'Criminal" (;))

House curfew 7pm - 8am Sat Sun and being required to work 38h would fuck over most petty offenders.

5 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Norway has a system whereby you can book a date for starting your sentence and also break it into holidays and weekends.

This avoids the loss of jobs etc that usually go with being locked up. Your production and input to the economy are maintained but you lose your own leisure time so only you ( and possibly your family) lose out.

This way you're only punished once by the state, not ruined forever.

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

House curfew 7pm - 8am Sat Sun and being required to work 38h would fuck over most petty offenders.

Only if the work is hard physical,  outdooor manual labor. Clearing road gutters by shovel, sweeping leaves by broom, filling potholes. If your gang foreman thinks you have worked well and not been dilatory then you can get recommended for a reduction in sentence.

1 minute ago, Option5 said:

Norway has a system whereby you can book a date for starting your sentence and also break it into holidays and weekends.

This avoids the loss of jobs etc that usually go with being locked up. Your production and input to the economy are maintained but you lose your own leisure time so only you ( and possibly your family) lose out.

A good idea, but only useful for those in employment.

It makes sense we jail to many people for too many "crimes"

My worry however is it will just lead to longer sentences instead of stopping them.

Let's end the war in drugs that would have a massive impact

4 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

so those who fancy committing a little crime, but are presently put off by the custodial sentence will be able to go ahead and the police will be so snowed under by petty crime that they won't bother investigating 

Already the case as far as I can tell, apart from the being put off bit.

Having a deterrent and then not using it due to sheer numbers leads it to losing its credibility.

18 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

so those who fancy committing a little crime, but are presently put off by the custodial sentence will be able to go ahead and the police will be so snowed under by petty crime that they won't bother investigating 

The consequences of getting caught are not really considered.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

This.

Besides, you get a pas 1st time.

Less so 5th

It's possibly a "bit of a laugh" for youger people. Older people will think they can get away with it.

6 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

you'll get a whole army of people who will now think there are no consequences to a spot of shoplifting or vandalism eg pensioners

HA! Eldster perps!

5 hours ago, Durabo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46847162

Short sentences are "long enough to damage you and not long enough to heal you".

An MoJ spokesperson said: "As we have said previously, short sentences are too often ineffective, provide little opportunity to rehabilitate offenders and lead to unacceptably high rates of reoffending.

"That's why we are exploring potential alternatives, but this work is ongoing and we have reached no conclusions at this time."

What does the hive mind think? Soft on crime or a sensible way to rehabilitate/prevent future offences?

BBC happy to point out the this change will apply to burglars and shoplifters 

I would hope that scumbag housebreakers get more than 6 months 

5 hours ago, Option5 said:

Years back I heard of similar from a Canadian mate of mine. He had a friend who got sent to prison with similar terms, he could still work but had to report back at the end of each day.

He didn't want to leave! They fed him, kept his bedding clean and at the end of each day before lights out he got to watch TV and play cards with the other lags, with no wife nagging on at him :D

Edited by Roger_Mellie

3 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Years back I heard of similar from a Canadian mate of mine. He had a friend who got sent to prison with similar terms, he could still work but had to report back at the end of each day.

He didn't want to leave! They fed him, kept his bedding clean and at the end of each day before lights out he got to watch TV and play cards with the other lags, with no wife nagging on at him :D

One of my mates spent 6 months holiday in a Canadian prison, for something which he obviously never did, but I don't think he will do it again.

How about fewer laws so we don't have to lock people up for dumb ass stuff ?

Then for the proper crimes just leave it up to judges to decide how long to lock people up for depending on the circumstances and within certain loose guide lines.

Why does the government have to try to micro manage everything  9_9

I'm for it, but need to look at what sort of crimes people are being sent down currently for 6 months. Do people really get sent down for 6 months for stealing a packet of fags? Doubt it. I imagine you'd only get 6 months for beating someone to an inch of their lives these days if that.

So yeah get rid of short sentences but bring back proper sentences for non-petty crimes. Including hanging. Like that train murder recently where there's 0% doubt. Lots of witnesses, CCTV, DNA etc The fuckers should hang.

So much for “short, sharp shock, eh?”

I must say I personally have a rather different view on the role prison serves in any society. In fact, it has very little to do with those people inside it. It doesnt 'cure' them (though it does remove them from the rest of us while the most effective cure – ageing, and the decline of testosterone – does) but then i've seen little else hat does, reliably, rehabilitate offenders.

No, prison is not there to reform (or even discourage) those amongst us who are criminally predisposed. It is there simply to discourage those, the vast majority of us, who can correctly gauge risk versus reward. I truly believe the vast majority of us would, as a matter of procedure, engage in fraud or other non-violent crimes. We dont, because we DO respond to the threat of prison existing. 

Its not there to stop the criminals being criminals. Its there to stop the rest of us being criminals.

Expect theft, fraud, and other non-violent crimes to soar if people start believing there is no downside.

Edited by PatronizingGit