• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Errol

Attemped control of internet news sources in US

Recommended Posts

The latest attempt to control the narrative and prevent any truth or alternative view point ever seeing the light of day:

 

A New Neocon-Backed Narrative Control Firm Works To Destroy Alternative Media

A new report by journalist Whitney Webb for MintPress News details how NewsGuard is working to hide and demonetize alternative media outlets like MintPress, marketing itself directly to tech companies, social media platforms, libraries and schools. NewsGuard is led by some of the most virulently pro-imperialist individuals in America, and its agenda to shore up narrative control for the ruling power establishment is clear.

The product which NewsGuard markets to the general public is a browser plugin which advises online media consumers whether a news media outlet is trustworthy or untrustworthy based on a formula with a very pro-establishment bias which sees outlets like Fox News and the US propaganda outlet Voice of America getting trustworthy ratings while outlets like RT get very low ratings for trustworthiness. This plugin dominates the bulk of what comes up when you start researching NewsGuard, but circulating a plugin which individual internet users can voluntarily download to help their rulers control their minds is not one of the more nefarious agendas being pursued by this company.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01-11/new-narrative-control-firm-works-destroy-alternative-media

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds very much like Google News already is. A "fact checker" you can't get rid of,  operated by gormless outfits such as snopes and polygraph.info

If anyone can suggest a better alternative to Google News I would be grateful. Had a look but not come up with much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Sounds very much like Google News already is. A "fact checker" you can't get rid of,  operated by gormless outfits such as snopes and polygraph.info

If anyone can suggest a better alternative to Google News I would be grateful. Had a look but not come up with much.

The Times of India/UK.

More British than the British Press.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/uk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Show me a news source that isn't controlled, apart from The Word of Pin.:o

RT and Al-Jazeera are not too bad in the scheme of things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

RT and Al-Jazeera are not too bad in the scheme of things.

Moscow, and Doha. I appreciate they have a different perspective on things, er, their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Moscow, and Doha. I appreciate they have a different perspective on things, er, their own.

Well yes, I knew you would say that, but comparing two lots of propaganda sometimes helps you see the truth in the resultant interference pattern. I mean read the RT version and compare it to the So-Called BBC version then read between the lines of both. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Funn3r said:

Well yes, I knew you would say that, but comparing two lots of propaganda sometimes helps you see the truth in the resultant interference pattern. I mean read the RT version and compare it to the So-Called BBC version then read between the lines of both. 

I watch both those channels for balance. Some of the historical articles are very good, when not seen from a Disney American perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

The Times of India/UK.

More British than the British Press.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/uk

 

I like their "mad, mad world" section. Egypt has imprisoned a woman for sexually harassing a monkey and a man in Ohio burned his garage down whilst attempting to get rid of weeds. I'd rather read about this than the Brexit shit.

Edited by Dipsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

There is one for the West and one for the muslim world. You might be horrified by one of them 

I'm sure there is and the So-Called BBC, VOA, and China all do the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

Sounds very much like Google News already is. A "fact checker" you can't get rid of,  operated by gormless outfits such as snopes and polygraph.info

If anyone can suggest a better alternative to Google News I would be grateful. Had a look but not come up with much.

You shouldn't be using anything owned by or connected to Google at all. Ditch it. There are plenty of alternatives.

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

Moscow, and Doha. I appreciate they have a different perspective on things, er, their own.

Yes. That's precisely the point. Unless you want to spend the whole time reading the So-Called BBC stories about 'Russian aggression' (while NATO moves it's troops and 1 million bases right to the Russian border etc). The only way to see what the Russians think about NATO putting troops on Russia's border (they are of the view that the West is preparing for outright war and invasion similar to Hitler pre-WWII)  is to see alternative news sources and RT.

Edited by Errol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Errol said:

You shouldn't be using anything owned by or connected to Google at all. Ditch it. There are plenty of alternatives.

Yes. That's precisely the point. Unless you want to spend the whole time reading the So-Called BBC stories about 'Russian aggression' (while NATO moves it's troops and 1 million bases right to the Russian border etc). The only way to see what the Russians think about NATO putting troops on Russia's border (they are of the view that the West is preparing for outright war and invasion similar to Hitler pre-WWII)  is to see alternative news sources and RT.

Sure, not disagreeing. More ears, less mouth keeps you wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Errol said:

You shouldn't be using anything owned by or connected to Google at all. Ditch it. There are plenty of alternatives.

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

Not disagreeing with you necessarily but perhaps you could elaborate as to why you say that? I am no fan of Google but I do like the things it does for me.  I have no attachment to them and would consider switching if there was a better alternative, but I disagree with you that there are plenty of such. For example I use Google Home to automate my home (lights and stuff) so to what would I switch? The only other one as far as I know is Amazon Alexa and surely I would be switching from US Megacorp 1 to US Megacorp 2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Funn3r said:

Not disagreeing with you necessarily but perhaps you could elaborate as to why you say that? I am no fan of Google but I do like the things it does for me.  I have no attachment to them and would consider switching if there was a better alternative, but I disagree with you that there are plenty of such. For example I use Google Home to automate my home (lights and stuff) so to what would I switch? The only other one as far as I know is Amazon Alexa and surely I would be switching from US Megacorp 1 to US Megacorp 2?

Google tracks your data and through Google Ads controls and censors content on third part websites that rely upon Google Ads for revenue.

Google Ads was the main reason ToS suddenly went to shit.

I use Duckduckgo for most searches these days; though I have yet to find a good alternative for Google Maps.

If you have no good alternative to a Google service then no you don't have a choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Google tracks your data and through Google Ads controls and censors content on third part websites that rely upon Google Ads for revenue.

Google Ads was the main reason ToS suddenly went to shit.

I use Duckduckgo for most searches these days; though I have yet to find a good alternative for Google Maps.

If you have no good alternative to a Google service then no you don't have a choice.

Yandex maps is quite good although not as good as Google maps. The place names are in Russian but so what you probably have a good idea already of which town you are in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Funn3r said:

Yandex maps is quite good although not as good as Google maps. The place names are in Russian but so what you probably have a good idea already of which town you are in. 

:D

Whilst my main news source is Russia Today my actual Russian is non-existent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As it happens I do speak a bit of Russian and I mean a bit, can just about manage "two beers please my friend is paying." 

Doesnt matter. The Russian alphabet has more letters than ours but many of them are the same and with a bit of practice you can decode English words written in their character set. Yandex is the Russian version of Google, they have mail, maps, music, rutube, cloud disk, all that. A lot of it is in English as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

As it happens I do speak a bit of Russian and I mean a bit, can just about manage "two beers please my friend is paying." 

Doesnt matter. The Russian alphabet has more letters than ours but many of them are the same and with a bit of practice you can decode English words written in their character set. Yandex is the Russian version of Google, they have mail, maps, music, rutube, cloud disk, all that. A lot of it is in English as well. 

Yes, my knowledge of Russian is limited to a few standard phrases, technical words, and tha ability to order beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.