• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

The degradation of work and wages

2 minutes ago, ad_ceng said:

Freelance avoids that trap quite nicely.

At the moment I only take contracts outside the UK as that way I do not have to charge vat either. Starve the beast it is the only way 

Freelancing is an interesting one.

The high wages are good but I not sure if I'd want to have to constantly relocate. In all honesty I'm also not sure how I'd cope with months of free time in a row, perhaps I like the structure of having work to go to every week.

having said that if I lost my current low stress tech job I'd be positioning myself to enter the world of contracting rather slog away at a stressful IT job for permie wages and crap holidays.

Just now, ad_ceng said:

Most young engineers also want to pass throguh the design stages quickly a d get to management. They think they will get more money that way 

Also too arrogant to learn from people who know what they are talking about.

3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

The trick is to find a way to earn what you need to whilst still enjoying the job - there are points of diminishing returns where massive amounts of extra stress are taken on for 5 or 10k a year more, which hen gets taxed at 40%. 

Best to not be a mug and fall into that trap.

Depends, I am realistic and wouldn't call these people mugs. This ties into the other thread but if you want a decent bedfellow and to raise a family you're likely going to have to suck it up and earn that extra money as top totty isn't interested in a coaster. I know I could reign in my efforts and dial down on consumerism but at the same time given I've been single for almost a year now I recognise doubling down on a less "complicated" life will likely throw any chances I have out the window. I'm not at that stage yet!

4 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

The only thing holding most 'engineering' companies together these days are the 45-65(+) year olds who have and have refused to become managers for an extra 5K per year and all the shit that goes with it. 

You been reading my CV?

Just now, One percent said:

I think that is being replicated across a lot of occupations. It’s all going to hell in a handcart afaict. 

My department (and wider company) has a lot of people aged 45 -55 who know how everything works.

In ten years' time they will all have retired and the company will implode.

People who think that things will continue as they always have are missing the gaping hole that computers have punched in career progressions.  There is a yawning gap.

1 minute ago, ad_ceng said:

Most young engineers also want to pass throguh the design stages quickly a d get to management. They think they will get more money that way 

xD  different occupation but I was running a section for nothing for a few years. In the end, I said, I’m not doing this anymore. I’m giving up the management role and just doing the day job. 

“Oh, we won’t allow you to step down “

”you aren’t fucking paying me, or giving me the time to do the management bit, it isn’t in my contract or JD, how’s that going to work?”  

xD

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Freelancing is an interesting one.

The high wages are good but I not sure if I'd want to have to constantly relocate. In all honesty I'm also not sure how I'd cope with months of free time in a row, perhaps I like the structure of having work to go to every week. 

I like the constant relocation, means I never have to decorate.

In 40 years of freelancing I've been out of work for a total of 8 weeks and never had to take a pay cut to get a job.

Just now, ad_ceng said:

We had an engineering student at work in his year 6 months in industry work placement, we asked him what he wanted to do.

His answer was 'enough' to get chartered as soon as he finished university.

In my world absolutely nobody should ever get chartership without at least 10 years actual industrial experience under their belt.

Had no real interest in actual engineering, just wanted loads of money from a management position.

Tozzer.

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

We had an engineering student at work in his year 6 months in industry work placement, we asked him what he wanted to do.

His answer was 'enough' to get chartered as soon as he finished university.

In my world absolutely nobody should ever get chartership without at least 10 years actual industrial experience under their belt.

Had no real interest in actual engineering, just wanted loads of money from a management position.

Tozzer.

In part I agree with his (her?) approach. Workers are not valued, skills definitely are not. Fuck em and do as little as possible for minimum effort. 

Long gone are the days of fair reward. 

8 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Depends, I am realistic and wouldn't call these people mugs. This ties into the other thread but if you want a decent bedfellow and to raise a family you're likely going to have to suck it up and earn that extra money as top totty isn't interested in a coaster. I know I could reign in my efforts and dial down on consumerism but at the same time given I've been single for almost a year now I recognise doubling down on a less "complicated" life will likely throw any chances I have out the window. I'm not at that stage yet!

True.

I know that the fact that I don't own a house or drive a car makes me a less attractive beta-bucks proposition.

But I'm not going to work myself to death in the hope that 'top totty' will come along. It probably won't. I know blokes a couple of decades ahead of me who have moved on up the chain of command and none of them have gorgeous wives.

My brothers playing that game; the nice car and the family home. No girls shown any interest in 5 years but he'll maybe snare someone with baby rabies when he hits his early 30s he maybe won't though.

So yeah I don't buy the idea that working hard to get at extra 10/20/30k will all of a sudden get you a hot wife who wants to bang your brains out. She might want to spend your money and agree to have sex occasionally.

what earning level are you aiming for that you thinks gonna make you more attractive, or are you a mining for a big house/fancy car?

Edited by JoeDavola

4 minutes ago, Option5 said:

I like the constant relocation, means I never have to decorate.

In 40 years of freelancing I've been out of work for a total of 8 weeks and never had to take a pay cut to get a job.

I sometimes "rest" for a long time between appointments, and then when I woke up the money went decimal. All those Spanish 8 Real coins (Pieces of eight) were now obsolete, and I had to use half-crowns, and sixpences.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I sometimes "rest" for a long time between appointments, and then when I woke up the money went decimal. All those Spanish 8 Real coins (Pieces of eight) were now obsolete, and I had to use half-crowns, and sixpences.

I'll swap you the Reals for guineas, florins and farthings

Just now, JoeDavola said:

True.

I know that the fact that I don't own a house or drive a car makes me a less attractive beta-bucks proposition.

But I'm not going to work myself to death in the hope that 'top totty' will come along. It probably won't. I know blokes a couple of decades ahead of me who have moved on up the chain of command and none of them have gorgeous wives.

My brothers playing that game; the nice car and the family home. No girls shown any interest in 5 years but he'll maybe snare someone with baby rabies when he hits his early 30s he maybe won't though.

So yeah I don't buy the idea that working hard to get at extra 10/20/30k will all of a sudden get you a hot wife who wants to bang your brains out. She might want to spend your money and agree to have sex occasionally.

Aye the equation is not simple, I strive for the balance as not playing the game at all is guaranteed to become a self-fulfilling prophecy otherwise. I don't particularly give a f**k about status, my earnings, my car, my clothes etc. but I accept I have to put on somewhat of a show if I want to pass my genes on (god forbid).

3 minutes ago, Option5 said:

I'll swap you the Reals for guineas, florins and farthings

That's marvellous, as some aliens were round this evening selling a "time machine" which cleans up dirt and shampoos carpets. Now with this knowledge, we could make a fine investment.

Edited by MrPin

23 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Demographics is the key.

Employers have been in a buyers market for decades now in the UK, particularly since the post war baby boom generation hit the workforce from the late 1970s.  That chunk of the labour market is going to be disappearing over the next 15 years. I think that explains one of the reasons that employers want open borders. The problem is that cheap foreign skilled labour may also be about to dry up for a variety of reasons not least competition from other countries for it

https://emerging-europe.com/news/poland-faces-increasing-competition-for-ukrainian-workers/

Poland is competing for ukrainian with germany.

Polish are over here on tax credits....

What a fucked up mess.

Just set minimum wage for a migrant to enter a country at 2x median wage.

Just now, MrPin said:

That's marvellous, as some aliens were round this evening selling a "time machine" which cleans up dirt and shapoos carpets. Now with this knowledge, we could make a fine investment.

I bought a new time machine next week, it's better cause they don't make them now like they're going to.

3 minutes ago, Option5 said:

I bought a new time machine next week, it's better cause they don't make them now like they're going to.

And of course you save on the PCP interest. Because all the depreciation/amortisation has gone backwards. Frank ight be you man on that one

Edited by MrPin

18 minutes ago, One percent said:

Behave brown nosing to him. xD

There's no brown-nosing going on here.

Just the truth that I simply have the best - and the sexiest - hair of any 53 year-old man on this planet.

Bar none...

XYY

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

There's no brown-nosing going on here.

Just the truth that I simply have the best - and the sexiest - hair of any 53 year-old man on this planet.

Bar none...

XYY

On yer bum crack?

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Saw a job advert today.  13 quid an hour. I was getting paid 15 quid 30 years ago for the exact same job. 

Not sure why I’ve posted this but I was well and truly stunned.  

£13 an hour doesn't seem bad. I'm getting an hourly rate considerably less than that.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

And of course you save on the PCP interest.

I had enough Alterian dollars , Kalganids and galactic standard credits to buy it outright.

27 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Its like that in engineering with the youngsters i.e. under 35 with useless managers added to the mix with no experience of what they are managing as discussed in the parallel Line Managers thread.

The only thing holding most 'engineering' companies together these days are the 45-65(+) year olds who have and have refused to become managers for an extra 5K per year and all the shit that goes with it.

When they are gone, a lot of these companies will collapse especially as 'imported' engineers who are engineering in a foreign language are slow and have a habit of misunderstanding and fucking things up.

I deal with  lot of comoanies in uk and abroad.

Most are like this - real skin of their teeth operation.

If you want to take a contract off a comopetor, just find their staff on linkin and poach them. Its really tgat simple.

Adjusted average earnings £50,000 on @Frank Hovis graph, of course this clearly overstates earnings for most ordinary people. That gap has to be met somehow... high debt multiples, subsidies, liar loans. Add the women forced to work - there was a period when Tax Credits were allowed in mortgage calculations. It is a mess!

All that money sucked out of a productive economy. It's like Strawberry Fields - nothing is real!

imageproxy.jpeg.85c81b87dc3ebc4b7f0c39b7fc728f8b.jpeg

Edited by Alonso Quijano
Mistaken interpretation of earnings. Doh!