• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Roger_Mellie

Best/worst British films

I watched Brassed Off for the first time in about 20 years yesterday. I loved it at the time it came out, but by God it's aged badly. 

Is it me or was the late 90s a bit of a purple patch for British film making? Gave us masterpieces like Trainspotting, but also loads of complete dross like 'up n under' which is so bad even YouTube doesn't have it. But it does have a nice compilation of Sam Janus scenes from the film to enjoy.

Edited by Roger_Mellie

Stormy Monday is a not good British film.

Toss up for best British film is probably between Get Carter and A Canterbury Tale. As for the worst.... anything from the seventies, probably.

She’s no doubt a really attractive girl. But she’s nothing extraordinary. Most gyms in the country have probably got a girl as good or better working out right now.

Anyway, my point is almost every role SJ had centred on how fit and desirable she was. A magnificent, almost unattainable, example of the female species.

I wonder what that did / has done to her mental state, now that she is almost over the hill??

BTW just looked her up and still very good looking, maybe even better (46)

2 minutes ago, Rowley said:

She’s no doubt a really attractive girl. But she’s nothing extraordinary. Most gyms in the country have probably got a girl as good or better working out right now.

Anyway, my point is almost every role SJ had centred on how fit and desirable she was. A magnificent, almost unattainable, example of the female species.

I wonder what that did / has done to her mental state, now that she is almost over the hill??

BTW just looked her up and still very good looking, maybe even better (46)

Interesting, I've always seem it as almost the opposite... In everything she's done she's played someone completely attainable.

'The Third Man' is often voted by film people as the best British film. Of course, 'Lawrence Of Arabia' is up there also. Both Carol Reed and David Lean have several that could be considered amongst the best. Where would you put 'Bridge On The River Kwai' or 'Night Train To Munich'?

Then there are the films of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger such as 'A Matter Of Life And Death', 'The Red Shoes' and 'Black Narcissus'. I have a soft spot for 'A Canterbury Tale' by the two also. 

That short, bald Director did a good one - 'The 39 Steps' starring Robert Donat. He was quite good in 'Goodbye Mr. Chips'

How about some Ealing comedies? Or that well known later one about that Brian bloke that probably will be screened less and less by the So-Called BBC in the future? 

I have a penchant for 'The Magic Box' which, in its days, got a cameo from about every living British actor in the UK.

There are so many wonderful British films.

2 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Interesting, I've always seem it as almost the opposite... In everything she's done she's played someone completely attainable.

That is interesting. I’ve always viewed her characters as being on a bit of a strange pedestal - but I can see the other interpretation of “girl next door”

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Best - Trainspotting, The Full Monty, Brassed Off, Life of Brian, Dambusters, Paddington, Lock Stock, Dead Man's Shoes, 28 Days Later...

Worst - Keith Lemon. The Movie. 

Ha ha, I don't include stuff like the Keith Lemon film because it was never intended to be good. I actually quite enjoyed it. To my shame:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Ha ha, I don't include stuff like the Keith Lemon film because it was never intended to be good. I actually quite enjoyed it. To my shame:ph34r:

I know the guy is a parody but just looking at him makes me want to punch kittens.

I tried fifteen minutes of his show once...fucking hell...:PissedOff:

35 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I watched Brassed Off for the first time in about 20 years yesterday. I loved it at the time it came out, but by God it's aged badly. 

Is it me or was the late 90s a bit of a purple patch for British film making? Gave us masterpieces like Trainspotting, but also loads of complete dross like 'up n under' which is so bad even YouTube doesn't have it. But it does have a nice compilation of Sam Janus scenes from the film to enjoy.

Find it hard to watch brassed off for Pete postlethwaite's (sp) conducting. Fine actor but could've learned to mime a bit better. Same goes for all the brass miming. Most of it is dreadfull. It can be done well. Just look at mo better blues  or Bird. Bit anal of me though I suppose. 

Just now, Sgt Hartman said:

I know the guy is a parody but just looking at him makes me want to punch kittens.

I tried fifteen minutes of his show once...fucking hell...:PissedOff:

Leigh Francis is the greatest British comedian of the last 20 years bar none. It's amazing how he's morphed the Keith Lemon character from being a minor character in a sketch show to pretty much his full time TV persona.

Anyhow... I can forgive anything from a bloke who put these two sketches together:

52 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Someone is a complete idiot.

Between 00:31 and 00:32 in the linked clip they edited out the best 36 seconds of the film.

[I looked for it on YT but couldn't find it -- I did find it on Xhamster, but, as John McAfee says, no-one should have to use Xhamster, so I won't link it]

Edited by dgul

These films all seemed to get decent advertising budgets too. 

Another late 90s one: 'This Summer's Love'. Starred Kathy Burke, was plastered all over billboards. Complete shite.

Hmmmm.... Thinking of Kathy Burke made me think of Johnny Vegas. Anyone ever seen 'Sex Lives of the Potato Men'? Johnny Vegas and McKenzie Crook, now that is a shit film.

Edited by Roger_Mellie

1 hour ago, maynardgravy said:

Find it hard to watch brassed off for Pete postlethwaite's (sp) conducting. Fine actor but could've learned to mime a bit better. Same goes for all the brass miming. Most of it is dreadfull. It can be done well. Just look at mo better blues  or Bird. Bit anal of me though I suppose.

I tend to get the film Brassed Off and the Victoria Wood parody of it Brassed Up mixed up in my mind nowj. 

Edited by Virgil Caine

3 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Does she have a brother called Hugh?