DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Pipes and connections (TPI, male, female, BSP, metric)

Ash4781b

Building a wort chiller for homebrew. It’s a bit of a plumbing voyage. So starting at the kitchen tap it has an aerator  (some metric thing with a thread male I think) then somehow getting that to connect to 10mm copper tube. A few options most seem to go from 3/4 bsp  / 1/2 quick connect I think garden hose to converter to 15mm then short section15mm pipe then compression reducer to 10mm then to 10mm pipe. Other option I have seen is garden hose to jubilee clip / duct tape  to 10mm - seems risky?

I don’t fancy the pipe out the window to the garden tap so my plan is to use Hozelock kitchen tap connector into where the aerator (M? female) is which converts to 3/4 bsp male. Then connect that to a JG speedfit 3/8 pushfit (not exactly 10mm and not sure of temp properties ) to 3/4 female. I think i’ll Have to screw the whole chiller coil onto the kitchen tap or setup 1/2bsp quick connectors and run a hose between them?

Lots of stories of flooding and leaks into wort and all sorts Anyway how should one navigate this type of problem ?  (Navigation between standards) Else be that guy in screwfix with a load of different connectors all laid out on the desk! (Sure an answer will be buy beer ready made :) )

Bobthebuilder

I thought you were giving us some share tips.

I think you would be better off using an outside tap to connect to this as the thread on a aerator is finer than on 3/4 fittings. The rest sounds fine, no problem with pushfit fittings at all.

Some outside taps have a 3/4 thread on them, so (armed with some PTFE) a 3/4" to 15mm compression then a 15mm to 10mm reducing coupler and you're sorted.

48 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I thought you were giving us some share tips.

I think you would be better off using an outside tap to connect to this as the thread on a aerator is finer than on 3/4 fittings. The rest sounds fine, no problem with pushfit fittings at all.

Some outside taps have a 3/4 thread on them, so (armed with some PTFE) a 3/4" to 15mm compression then a 15mm to 10mm reducing coupler and you're sorted.

Cheers

As above, ditch the hozelock if you canned using o/s tap it will fail sooner rather than later. Double check that you have put in the inserts into speed fit if using plastic pipe as easy to forget. If using copper, get a copper pipe slice as this provides the ideal rounded edge to the pipe that does not rip/damage the speedfit o ring. Others hacksaw/whatever and file run off and prep thoroughly.

Bricks & Mortar

As a small builder, I often need a hose outside a house, to mix mortars.  I prefer a garden tap.  Would bring water in barrels up to a certain amount.  Would look in neighbouring gardens for an outside tap we could borrow.  When all else fails, I've a couple of kitchen tap connectors.

1.  They work better on some taps than others.
2.  I set up a barrel outside, and use the tap connected hose to fill it - would never put a trigger spray on the end as I fear the changes in pressure would cause it to fail at the kichen tap.
3. I try to get a colleague to supervise the kitchen tap throughout the barrel filling operation.
4.  If it fails, it's probably a case of the kitchen getting sprayed with water.

Best of luck.

Archived