• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

M S E Refugee

4x4 recommendations.

Recommended Posts

After nearly a year in the countryside my Vauxhall Corsa probably needs to retire to the City as it negotiates narrow potholed country roads as well as Treason May has negotiated Brexit.

4x4's seem to be either tiny such as a Jimny or most usually they seem to be high tax and low MPG behamoths.

I don't really want spend more than £5000 and the only car that looks okay is a Suzuki Grand Vitara Estate from the mid to late 2000's at a push I may consider a Jimny but it is probably too small.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

After nearly a year in the countryside my Vauxhall Corsa probably needs to retire to the City as it negotiates narrow potholed country roads as well as Treason May has negotiated Brexit.

4x4's seem to be either tiny such as a Jimny or most usually they seem to be high tax and low MPG behamoths.

I don't really want spend more than £5000 and the only car that looks okay is a Suzuki Grand Vitara Estate from the mid to late 2000's at a push I may consider a Jimny but it is probably too small.

 

2014 ones are only 6995 so find a slightly older one and it should fit the bill.

https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/dacia/duster?page=1

Edit:- or find a private seller for less

Edited by Chewing Grass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jimnys are great, although best to take one for a quick drive first to see if are prepared to overlook its "quirks".  A few farmers have them round here.

The Daihatsu Terios is also worthy of consideration. One of my favourite TG episodes:

 

Also don't get a Land Rover (not that you can for £5k unless it's a real unloved example) as they're shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, spunko said:

Jimnys are great, although best to take one for a quick drive first to see if are prepared to overlook its "quirks".  A few farmers have them round here.

The Daihatsu Terios is also worthy of consideration. One of my favourite TG episodes:

 

Also don't get a Land Rover (not that you can for £5k unless it's a real unloved example) as they're shit.

Yes the price of Land Rover Defenders are totally insane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless towing horseboxes or driving across fields is on the cards, I wouldn't bother with a 4 x 4. Bar the mighty landcruiser and some rare old variations of the isuzu trooper, they're expensive and miserable to drive and still make a loud bang when you hit a huge pothole at 50 mph. I spend nearly all my driving time on bad roads and in quarries and would have a car over a 4 x 4 if van wasn't required. Stick with steel wheels, keep an eye on tyre pressures (maybe running a touch lower than manufacturers recommendations) and find a good mechanic to keep on top of replacing suspension bushes and straightening the tracking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

Unless towing horseboxes or driving across fields is on the cards, I wouldn't bother with a 4 x 4. Bar the mighty landcruiser and some rare old variations of the isuzu trooper, they're expensive and miserable to drive and still make a loud bang when you hit a huge pothole at 50 mph. I spend nearly all my driving time on bad roads and in quarries and would have a car over a 4 x 4 if van wasn't required. Stick with steel wheels, keep an eye on tyre pressures (maybe running a touch lower than manufacturers recommendations) and find a good mechanic to keep on top of replacing suspension bushes and straightening the tracking.

The number of people i see towing stuff with totally inapproorpate cars, when it's clearly also not a one-off, astonishes me. People with Freelanders are the worse culprits - It's a Land Rover innit.

The most capable car I ever towed with was one of these @Dave Beans

47f4e023c0c4369b8733515bf4881ff9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

Unless towing horseboxes or driving across fields is on the cards, I wouldn't bother with a 4 x 4. Bar the mighty landcruiser and some rare old variations of the isuzu trooper, they're expensive and miserable to drive and still make a loud bang when you hit a huge pothole at 50 mph. I spend nearly all my driving time on bad roads and in quarries and would have a car over a 4 x 4 if van wasn't required. Stick with steel wheels, keep an eye on tyre pressures (maybe running a touch lower than manufacturers recommendations) and find a good mechanic to keep on top of replacing suspension bushes and straightening the tracking.

Ill second this. I live on a farm in the West Country, down a narrow rutted lane. Much of my driving is on similar roads and I have never wanted 4WD: sometimes better road clearance but never 4WD. The best car we've had is a 12-year old Fabia, which is narrow enough to get into the smallest passing places and seems to have absorbed the rough ride without damage. In due course we will no doubt have to pay up for suspension bushes, droplinks etc. but so far so good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Ill second this. I live on a farm in the West Country, down a narrow rutted lane. Much of my driving is on similar roads and I have never wanted 4WD: sometimes better road clearance but never 4WD. The best car we've had is a 12-year old Fabia, which is narrow enough to get into the smallest passing places and seems to have absorbed the rough ride without damage. In due course we will no doubt have to pay up for suspension bushes, droplinks etc. but so far so good.

Road clearance is key. The move towards a low clearance for cars in order to get high mpg / low emissions makes many cars unsuitable in rural areas where lanes are slowly 'decomissioned' and become like off road . My Puegeot 205 diesels were great. The 206sw diesel I had was a great car but rubbish at clearance in comparison, especially the rear angle. I now have a 4wd for clearance, but it's always in 2wd.

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hopeful said:

The number of people i see towing stuff with totally inapproorpate cars, when it's clearly also not a one-off, astonishes me. People with Freelanders are the worse culprits - It's a Land Rover innit.

 The most capable car I ever towed with was one of these @Dave Beans

47f4e023c0c4369b8733515bf4881ff9.jpg

I've got a 2005 Legacy Spec B (saloon) which are AWD...I live in the country, and handle the windy roads pretty well...Top Gear used to rave about the Outbacks back in the day. The later models became a bit wide mouthed and looked like bloody horrible boxy things....

Edited by Dave Beans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Yeti ticks the boxes, surprisingly high clearance, good simple 4x4, pretty good mpg for size/weight of car, tax is lowish due to good co2 ratings, lots of unwrecked/decent examples around as generally stuffy/cardigan wearing image/users (and caravaners). good space, great cabin,  ride, visibility. Good choice of engines too, though not so many too choose from in the market with the 4x4. £5K would put a 2010 to 2012 in range with about 100k on the clock and quite often high spec as owners have gone for the bells and whistles with 4x4 option. Not quite an off roader though so if serious potholes maybe not and you may hate the look of it but reckon probably the best all round car I've owned thus far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On that budget I would say Ssangyong Rexton all day long. Fuel economy won't be great but it does have serious country level 4x4 and towing abilities, although the engine is out of a Merc ML, very unrefined compared to a Land Rover Discovery, or something of that ilk, but priced accordingly. Certainly would be bearable for 200 miles on the motorway which a Jimny wouldn't.

Due to having a 4x4 I drove all across the country essentially unhindered by last year's snow. If you're not in agriculture, or something, there are admittedly fairly limited occasions in this country when really need a 4x4 but every so often having one pays out big. 

On ebay only 79k and on for less than £1500 utter bargain unless it's borked in some way

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by SNACR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

I've got a 2005 Legacy Spec B (saloon) which are AWD...I live in the country, and handle the windy roads pretty well...Top Gear used to rave about the Outbacks back in the day. The later models became a bit wide mouthed and looked like bloody horrible boxy things....

Suburus really are great cars. I've liked everyone I've borrowed. So I don't really know why I haven't got one and have currently got a Toyota hilux extracab instead (nice ride, but big), other than for the truckbed, that I only need 2 seats, and that it comes with a vast area of white metal for advertising xD As @SNACR who I think hates pickups said above, the 4WD is very useful occasionally, especially when towing up slippy concrete, it's also a shit load of well-built vehicle for very little money.

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, onlyme said:

A Yeti ticks the boxes, surprisingly high clearance, good simple 4x4, pretty good mpg for size/weight of car, tax is lowish due to good co2 ratings, lots of unwrecked/decent examples around as generally stuffy/cardigan wearing image/users (and caravaners). good space, great cabin,  ride, visibility. Good choice of engines too, though not so many too choose from in the market with the 4x4. £5K would put a 2010 to 2012 in range with about 100k on the clock and quite often high spec as owners have gone for the bells and whistles with 4x4 option. Not quite an off roader though so if serious potholes maybe not and you may hate the look of it but reckon probably the best all round car I've owned thus far.

Aren't they bloody slow though? I seem to recall hearing they were the slowest new car on the road.

Bizarrely, I think that was a 1.0l.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, onlyme said:

A Yeti ticks the boxes, surprisingly high clearance, good simple 4x4, pretty good mpg for size/weight of car, tax is lowish due to good co2 ratings, lots of unwrecked/decent examples around as generally stuffy/cardigan wearing image/users (and caravaners). good space, great cabin,  ride, visibility. Good choice of engines too, though not so many too choose from in the market with the 4x4. £5K would put a 2010 to 2012 in range with about 100k on the clock and quite often high spec as owners have gone for the bells and whistles with 4x4 option. Not quite an off roader though so if serious potholes maybe not and you may hate the look of it but reckon probably the best all round car I've owned thus far.

The Yeti was a consideration for me as it seems to have everything I want.

I know it sounds a little pathetic and that I ought to have a mind of my own at 46 years old but it is a car that seems to be driven predominantly by the elderly.:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hopeful said:

Suburus really are great cars. I've liked everyone I've borrowed. So I don't really know why I haven't got one and have currently got a Toyota hilux extracab instead (nice ride, but big), other than for the truckbed, that I only need 2 seats, and that it comes with a vast area of white metal for advertising xD As @SNACR who I think hates pickups said above, the 4WD is very useful occasionally, especially when towing up slippy concrete, it's also a shit load of well-built vehicle for very little money.

I remember being really impressed by the Subaru Impreza estate on the African Top Gear, towing the other cars out of sinking mud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

The Yeti was a consideration for me as it seems to have everything I want.

I know it sounds a little pathetic and that I ought to have a mind of my own at 46 years old but it is a car that seems to be driven predominantly by the elderly.:ph34r:

Know exactly what you mean, the odd 11/12 hour trip though in it have been convinced I made the right choice for me. Would recommend a test drive in one as the actual drive/feel of it might outweigh the obvious very staid appearance and profile the cars have. Get the 170BHP one and you could spring surprise a two :ph34r: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eight said:

I remember being really impressed by the Subaru Impreza estate on the African Top Gear, towing the other cars out of sinking mud.

It was good but the main point (as with the Botswana trip) was that ordinary two wheel drive cars with ordinary tyres can quite happily manage off road driving in Africa so why do you feel the need to have one in the UK?  The 2wd cars were only in need of a tow on roads with knee high mud and huge ruts which I wouldn't be going anywhere near in the first place.

I like the 4x4 styling but have read that permanent 4wd is going to wear both sets of tyres, rather than just the fronts, incrrease your fuel consumption, and increase repair bills for teh more complex drive mechanism for something that is going to be very rarely necessary.  This is probably right as having owned my current 2wd car for nearly ten years the traction control has only IIRC kicked in once when driving across a partly frozen stream ford; so in ten years this would also be how often I would have benefited from having 4wd - once for a few seconds.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, spunko said:

 

Also don't get a Land Rover (not that you can for £5k unless it's a real unloved example) as they're shit.


There was one was for a grand on the way to the Wirral (for 1k. !!) Bright pink. Lovely with a hook thing on the front. Wanted it. Was told I was not allowed.

Edited by sarahbell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, eight said:

I remember being really impressed by the Subaru Impreza estate on the African Top Gear, towing the other cars out of sinking mud.

The Legacies & Imprezas were very closely linked at once point.  I didn't want to get an Impreza as I felt I was getting a bit too old for one.  I got a 2005 rather than a 2006 Spec B, as the tax jumped up by 200 quid a year..

 

Edited by Dave Beans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

It was good but the main point (as with the Botswana trip) was that ordinary two wheel drive cars with ordinary tyres can quite happily manage off road driving in Africa so why do you feel the need to have one in the UK?  The 2wd cars were only in need of a tow on roads with knee high mud and huge ruts which I wouldn't be going anywhere near in the first place.

I like the 4x4 styling but have read that permanent 4wd is going to wear both sets of tyres, rather than just the fronts, incrrease your fuel consumption, and increase repair bills for teh more complex drive mechanism for something that is going to be very rarely necessary.  This is probably right as having owned my current 2wd car for nearly ten years the traction control has only IIRC kicked in once when driving across a partly frozen stream ford; so in ten years this would also be how often I would have benefited from having 4wd - once for a few seconds.

 

I thought I would buy a 4WD truck when I lived in Scotland. I didn't really need one, and I didn't buy one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MrPin said:

I thought I would buy a 4WD truck when I lived in Scotland. I didn't really need one, and I didn't buy one.

In Kazakhstan some years back we had a choice of 4x4s, I chose a Lada Niva. In the muddy season it got to places all the others couldn't and I never had to put it into 4WD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.