• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spygirl

What would you put in your Brexit box?

I think that panic buying and therefore shortages are inevitable even if everything runs smoothly at the ports because people are being subjected to a frenzy of project fear by the So-Called BBC and press.

I have purchased extra stores of non-perishables that I will use anyway: canned food, bread flour and yeast, milk substitute for drinks, toilet rolls.

I can also see a very short term fuel shortage as everyone rushes to fill up their tanks so causing a spike in demand though that won't last long, maybe a week.

You don't actually need Brexit to cause any supply problems; it is sufficient that the media have whipped people up into thinking that it will be a problem that will cause the shortages.  The damage is already done.

I wasn't worried about it, but in the article it says:

A government spokesperson said there was "no need" to stockpile any of the items in the box.

so now I am getting worried.

Anyway, the 'box' would be a stupid thing to get.  There's a reasonable argument for each household having a cheap gas burner plus a few canisters (£10 plus a few quid for gas), plus a few cheap bottles of water and a bit of rice/pasta/tins.  But that's a 'generally useful thing', in the case of disruption (snow, power-cuts, flooding, whatever), rather than a Brexit specific thing.

[the world civilisation collapse in 2025 -- now that's a different matter...]

If there are any food shortages then I propose that we just start eating all the remainers who have been scaremongering and actively sabotaging the whole process of leaving for the last two years. Hopefully someone has been making a list....

So I shall probably go out and buy an extra bottle of Peri Peri sauce in advance as I suspect that remainers may taste rather bland.

Most shortages are caused by panic buying.  It's best to panic before other people do. So, perversely, it is rational to panic.

I remember the sugar and toilet paper shortages of the 1970s that were caused by this.

Perhaps DOSBODers shourd troll mumsnet and start, say, a run on spaghetti.

5 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Most shortages are caused by panic buying.  It's best to panic before other people do. So, perversely, it is rational to panic.

I remember the sugar and toilet paper shortages of the 1970s that were caused by this.

I think they make their own, with a machine from John Lewis.

The only time I heard an adverse comment from coming from a larger family was during he great sugar shortage.

My dad queued us up and we each bought 2 bags of sugar each, all five of us. I think was about 7 at the time. A couple of old ladies were going full on old ladie s -disgrace, etc etc.

Thing is, in my adult life Ive never ever bought a bag of fucking sugar. I just dont use the stuff.

8 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Do not give a man a toilet roll, but give him a Bidet and he will be shit up for life.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I think they make their own, with a machine from John Lewis.

The only time I heard an adverse comment from coming from a larger family was during he great sugar shortage.

My dad queued us up and we each bought 2 bags of sugar each, all five of us. I think was about 7 at the time. A couple of old ladies were going full on old ladie s -disgrace, etc etc.

Thing is, in my adult life Ive never ever bought a bag of fucking sugar. I just dont use the stuff.

We have a bag of sugar purchased about 3 years ago for the occasional visitor who wants it in drinks, however I may go and panic buy some just to cause a shortage for shits and giggles. More seriously we have been purchasing extra tinned and dried stuff over the last few weeks which will get eaten anyway, just in case.

2 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

We have a bag of sugar purchased about 3 years ago for the occasional visitor who wants it in drinks, however I may go and panic buy some just to cause a shortage for shits and giggles. More seriously we have been purchasing extra tinned and dried stuff over the last few weeks which will get eaten anyway, just in case.

I use the packet sugar you get with coffees out and in hotels for visitors who want sugar in their tea or coffee; I have a jar of them and also use one for each loaf of bread.

I buy 1kg bags of sugar for home brewing as I find it equally as good as brewing sugar.

Apart from that I don't use it as I'm not much of a baker and don't make jams.

It's quite stunning to reflect that even the most outlandish predictions on TOS now seem mundane.

Not so long ago this notion would be ridiculed as TFH.

What an extraordinary community of unconventional thinkers they were.

Have to wonder where they all disappeared to.

The one notable prediction that still seems completely far-fetched is crash in house prices.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

I use the packet sugar you get with coffees out and in hotels for visitors who want sugar in their tea or coffee; I have a jar of them and also use one for each loaf of bread.

That's a good idea, when my one bag runs out (probably in about 2025) I shall pinch sachets.

27 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Instead of businesses blaming Brexit for poor sales, they should harness its inner power.

--

Dear Mumsnet,

I have heard from a VERY reliable source that Jo Malone scented candles will be in extremely short supply after Brexit. This is a WARNING. DH knows someone who works in candle logistics. Stocks are already starting to run low now - it will be months if not years before they are on shelves again. YANBU. Buy now.