• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wight Flight

Migraines

Flightlet junior seems to get these - really knocks him out for a day or so.

The first problem is that they seem to be stress induced - i.e. They tend to happen when he has exams - the current AS mocks have been a challenge.

The bigger problem is that he cannot go to his GP for a remedy. Any indication of migraines bars you from continuing in the Navy.

It does look like he can get Sumatriptran over the counter from Boots, which I assume would remain anonymous.

Anyone got any experience of this or ideas of other ways to deal with the stress or subsequent migraine - I think this is one instance where a homeopathic or otherwise placebo may actually work so long as he believes it will?

That's a toughie.  A relative held off for years on getting treated for a severe and intermittent balance problem because he thought (rightly IMHO) that the doctor would feel it necessary to write to the DVLA to have his licence suspended.  As he was shuttling between three distant locations not being able to drive would have caused him huge problems so he lived with it.

Paid entirely private consultation abroad maybe?

3 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

No - he can't see anyone.

So he's never seen anyone about a medical condition that affects your ability to safely do a job? 

Don't mean to be harsh BUT. 

Are they definitely migraines? Has he only been self-diagnosed? 

If it's stress then that needs to be looked at - being in the navy is going to be bloody stressful at some point and if he then can't operate at 100% he's not being fair to those relying on him.

4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

So he's never seen anyone about a medical condition that affects your ability to safely do a job? 

Don't mean to be harsh BUT. 

Are they definitely migraines? Has he only been self-diagnosed? 

If it's stress then that needs to be looked at - being in the navy is going to be bloody stressful at some point and if he then can't operate at 100% he's not being fair to those relying on him.

Yes - self diagnosed. He has only had them on a few occasions (maybe four or five in the last few years). Normally he is OK with stress (the application is about as stressful as you can get) and I think it may be psychosematic - hence the thought that a placebo / homeopathic remedy would be worth a try. 

I don't think a GP will be able to do much anyway, beyond heavy-duty painkillers (which is IMO a bit pathetic).  A proper medical expert will help, but it'll take a while to get to that whatever you do.

There is often a trigger to migraine -- you could use a diary to try to work out what it is.   (that is, it might not just be stress, but stress in combination with another factor)

[Food is sometimes mentioned, but I'm not sure about it -- can't help to think about the possibility, though.  Light is known to be a trigger and to often make any migraine worse -- those affected like dark glasses a lot -- they need to have a fairly heavy duty tint to work (a darker category 3 or a cat 4*) and be a decent size** as well (to avoid light exposure from around the frame)]

[* I'd say transmission of <10% for photo-induced migraine, which works out as about cat 3.8.  You're not supposed to drive with a cat 4, which somewhat limits choices to the darker 3's.]

[** Ray-ban aviator size would be about right, but 'sports sunglasses' are actually very good from this point of view. No need for 'expensive' as cheap sunglasses are very good these days]

2 minutes ago, eight said:

No. Just flashing lights and stars.

Ah.  Migraine with aura.  Quite likely to have a photo induced element, then (but not definite).  Give sunglasses a go.

48 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Flightlet junior seems to get these - really knocks him out for a day or so.

The first problem is that they seem to be stress induced - i.e. They tend to happen when he has exams - the current AS mocks have been a challenge.

The bigger problem is that he cannot go to his GP for a remedy. Any indication of migraines bars you from continuing in the Navy.

It does look like he can get Sumatriptran over the counter from Boots, which I assume would remain anonymous.

Anyone got any experience of this or ideas of other ways to deal with the stress or subsequent migraine - I think this is one instance where a homeopathic or otherwise placebo may actually work so long as he believes it will?

??? Well we'll have a very small navy then!O.o

7 minutes ago, eight said:

No. Just flashing lights and stars.

I love this forum sometimes :)

My husband has migraines without the headache. We went to see a nice man at Salford about them.
I know someone who works in neuro and has massive migraines that put her off work. I don't think they're all wine related.

I think dgul's suggestion of a diary to identify triggers is good, most people I have known who suffer with migraine find certain foods, caffeine, or experiences can cause them.

For treatment I would look into acupuncture and cannabis if you can get hold of good quality (not skunk).

If it is stress induced does he do activities that help with this like sport or meditation? Rescue remedy pastilles are a good placebo and can be consumed during revision and exams.

41 minutes ago, maudit said:

I think dgul's suggestion of a diary to identify triggers is good, most people I have known who suffer with migraine find certain foods, caffeine, or experiences can cause them.

For treatment I would look into acupuncture and cannabis if you can get hold of good quality (not skunk).

If it is stress induced does he do activities that help with this like sport or meditation? Rescue remedy pastilles are a good placebo and can be consumed during revision and exams.

This will almost certainly help -- but there are side effects (!)  You don't need a high dose to be effective (I'd suggest what might be called a threshold dose (from the point of view of getting stoned -- that is, enough to 'start to feel something') would do it).  Obviously cannabis might be dangerous from the POV of getting into the Navy...

I suppose CBD oil might be effective as well, but I really don't know (can't hurt to try, other than the £££s).

Acupuncture, I was rather cynical about this but it sorted a problem in my lower back when nothing else could. I'd also suggest, a diary - it may also be diet triggered, getting enough sleep and keeping hydrated.

Are we talking about strong headache (i.e mild discomfort) or those ones where you feel like you're dying/head exploding?

If its the latter, I have only had one so can't help. Don't know what caused it, but if it's the former then I have been convinced for a while that LED lights are the cause or at least, exacerbate the problem.

Just now, spunko said:

Are we talking about strong headache (i.e mild discomfort) or those ones where you feel like you're dying/head exploding?

If its the latter, I have only had one so can't help. Don't know what caused it, but if it's the former then I have been convinced for a while that LED lights are the cause or at least, exacerbate the problem.

It's the  'must lie down in a totally dark room, nausea, want to die sort of thing.'

I don't think it is food related - he doesn't vary his diet much and only gets one every six months or so when stressed.

Some good advice on here so far though. (as expected)

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

It's the  'must lie down in a totally dark room, nausea, want to die sort of thing.'

I don't think it is food related - he doesn't vary his diet much and only gets one every six months or so when stressed.

Some good advice on here so far though. (as expected)

Maybe work on not getting stressed.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

You mean the bluey-white LED bulbs? I can't sit in a room with them. The warm white ones you can get are fine for me though.

For the stress I suggest yoga or meditation. He'll probably need to try a few types of meditation before he finds a style that clicks with him and likely a few examples of each type as the voice makes a big difference for guided meditations. Same for yoga really.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

My friend had one. Turns out it was a tumour crushing her pituitary gland.

I have two friends with a migraine problem. One takes a preventative pill every day and hasn't had a migraine since. The other tried the same pill but still got migraines. They had been promised a preventative injection but the doctor just told them NICE have decided they are too expensive. The NHS obviously cannot make all those PFI payments and provide medication.

https://www.nice.org.uk/news/article/new-migraine-drug-not-cost-effective-nice-says-in-draft-guidance