DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

BTL: Can't increase the rent so we'll go Air BNB

maffo

19 minutes ago, dgul said:

To be fair AirBnB is going to be a great option for these sorts of 'speciality homes' (with the presumption that making it an actual 'holiday home' would require more hoops to be jumped).  

It is the use of AirBnB for your standard flat that won't make sense for the masses (it does for the early ones).

No its not.

These are places where people have poured 10k in fixture and fitting.

The most sensible airbnb - or any other short let rental - is a plain standard vanilla box eiyh washable walls and fully tiled bathroom.

You get a nuce quiet rental which tutns out to be 10 rugger buggers on the piss and go dirty orotecpst and wreck the place ... you go in and chuck everything away.

Ill let you into a little secret - about 1 in 200 people renting a place will trash it. And i mean shit smeared on the ceiling, shower turn off the wall.

Having a place stocked full of hand crafted furniture n your nans antuque porcelain is a fools game.

32 minutes ago, spygirl said:

No its not.

The most sensible airbnb - or any other short let rental - is a plain standard vanilla box eiyh washable walls and fully tiled bathroom.

You get a nuce quiet rental which tutns out to be 10 rugger buggers on the piss and go dirty orotecpst and wreck the place ... you go in and chuck everything away.

Ill let you into a little secret - about 1 in 200 people renting a place will trash it. And i mean shit smeared on the ceiling, shower turn off the wall.

Having a place stocked full of hand crafted furniture n your nans antuque porcelain is a fools game.

Fair point -- I was thinking along the lines of 'what the heck do you do with a place like that?' -- it only really makes sense as a place to live if you really want to live in a place like that -- there's not much else.  The only think left is to rent it as a 'speciality place' for someone to have a few days of weird so that they can tell all their friends of Facebook about how wacky they are.

3 minutes ago, ccc said:

Yep. Edinburgh now has over 7 Thousand :o

5 years ago when it was mostly US based and virtually nobody in the UK was doing it = cash cow.

Now ? I'm seeing places fairly close to the centre of Edinburgh going for £40 for an entire flat outside festival time. What's the point ? 

it's an inevitable consequence of rising rates. as debt burden on landlords rise they search for higher yield. but because they are all unoriginal, stupid and lazy, they all do the same thing.

hopefully the state will pick them off for taxes / fines like mad.

3 hours ago, One percent said:

I love watching that programme. Attention seekers wasting lots of money they will never get back 

I haven't watched it for years, since it turned into a show about bragging how wealthy you are . Shame the earlier ones were great. 

15 minutes ago, spunko said:

I haven't watched it for years, since it turned into a show about bragging how wealthy you are were before you threw loads into a money pit, which you will never get back . Shame the earlier ones were great. 

FIFY :)

i cant stand the presenter, bloody odious twat. 

sleepwello'nights
3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Yes, ask Kate Moss's previous landlord.

Air bnb is just another nail in the coffin.

While looking for places to rent, nearly all the good ones are no longer available. Why have a year round tenant at £1k a month when you can just do 3 months holiday let at £1k per week?

Across the country that is several hundred thousand houses taken out of the pool. It is overdue some government attention.

6 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Air bnb is just another nail in the coffin.

While looking for places to rent, nearly all the good ones are no longer available. Why have a year round tenant at £1k a month when you can just do 3 months holiday let at £1k per week?

Across the country that is several hundred thousand houses taken out of the pool. It is overdue some government attention.

Why?

Because the new laws will require that an AirBnB pay business rates and be regulated like a hotel.

12 hours ago, spygirl said:

Why?

Because the new laws will require that an AirBnB pay business rates and be regulated like a hotel.

AirBandB is only applicable in big cities I.e London, Liverpool, Manchester etc, and in such locations you have the hotel chains at all price points...these Big Boys can cut rates (to squeeze out small fry competitors) for a lot longer than a BTL landlord can stand voids!

3 hours ago, MrXxx said:

AirBandB is only applicable in big cities I.e London, Liverpool, Manchester etc, and in such locations you have the hotel chains at all price points...these Big Boys can cut rates (to squeeze out small fry competitors) for a lot longer than a BTL landlord can stand voids!

No. There are several hundred new air bnb things in the Isle of Wight.

And at least 20 hotels up for sale.

There is a link.

8 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

No. There are several hundred new air bnb things in the Isle of Wight.

And at least 20 hotels up for sale.

There is a link.

OK, there is always the exception to the rule but the IOW is hardly the beating heart of the BTL world is it, or has it now been placed as No1 in the World travel destinations? :-)

On 20/01/2019 at 20:17, spygirl said:

No its not.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6636403/AirBnB-invasion-Hundreds-drug-fuelled-partygoers-2-5million-Kensington-flat.html

Over the past three years, Elizabeth, an elegant American divorcee, has let the immaculately maintained, £2.5 million flat to a series of paying guests, all without incident.

As requested, these discerning visitors had always taken particular care of the flat’s special white resin floor, not to mention the spectacular art collection including paintings by Andy Warhol, Jasper Johns, Joan Miro and Picasso.

The priceless silver antiques, exquisite silk rugs and crystal Baccarat ornaments were routinely left on display – a real attraction to the ‘right’ kind of clientele.

Ok...... Shes waaaay off my recommendation of plain box with washable internals..... Jasper John... is he Jasper Conrans from Debenhams brother.....

So when a softly spoken young lady asked to hire the apartment for a surprise dinner party last Saturday, Elizabeth, or Libet as she is known, happily agreed. She was told a small group of women would be celebrating both a pregnancy and an impending wedding and, ever the consummate hostess, Libet bought pink prosecco and pink balloons for her guests.

Yet what followed would leave her fearing for her life. Rather than the genteel ‘baby shower’ she had anticipated, her property was taken over by hundreds of party-goers, many high on nitrous oxide, also known as ‘hippy crack’. She was abused, jostled and called a ‘bitch’ in her own home, a traumatic ordeal which only ended when police secured a court order to force the drug-fuelled revellers out.

‘I feel violated,’ she says today. ‘I can’t think of it without shaking. I consider myself a super hostess and always go the extra mile for my guests. Airbnb has been an easy way of earning money while I write a book, but this has shattered my trust – and my faith in my own judgment.’

Then, last month, a woman calling herself Kudzi contacted Libet through the website asking to hire the apartment for a small party of no more than eight guests. Looking back, Libet, 60, accepts she had been naive.

Danger! Danger! African name alert!

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6636403/AirBnB-invasion-Hundreds-drug-fuelled-partygoers-2-5million-Kensington-flat.html

Over the past three years, Elizabeth, an elegant American divorcee, has let the immaculately maintained, £2.5 million flat to a series of paying guests, all without incident.

As requested, these discerning visitors had always taken particular care of the flat’s special white resin floor, not to mention the spectacular art collection including paintings by Andy Warhol, Jasper Johns, Joan Miro and Picasso.

The priceless silver antiques, exquisite silk rugs and crystal Baccarat ornaments were routinely left on display – a real attraction to the ‘right’ kind of clientele.

Ok...... Shes waaaay off my recommendation of plain box with washable internals..... Jasper John... is he Jasper Conrans from Debenhams brother.....

So when a softly spoken young lady asked to hire the apartment for a surprise dinner party last Saturday, Elizabeth, or Libet as she is known, happily agreed. She was told a small group of women would be celebrating both a pregnancy and an impending wedding and, ever the consummate hostess, Libet bought pink prosecco and pink balloons for her guests.

Yet what followed would leave her fearing for her life. Rather than the genteel ‘baby shower’ she had anticipated, her property was taken over by hundreds of party-goers, many high on nitrous oxide, also known as ‘hippy crack’. She was abused, jostled and called a ‘bitch’ in her own home, a traumatic ordeal which only ended when police secured a court order to force the drug-fuelled revellers out.

‘I feel violated,’ she says today. ‘I can’t think of it without shaking. I consider myself a super hostess and always go the extra mile for my guests. Airbnb has been an easy way of earning money while I write a book, but this has shattered my trust – and my faith in my own judgment.’

Then, last month, a woman calling herself Kudzi contacted Libet through the website asking to hire the apartment for a small party of no more than eight guests. Looking back, Libet, 60, accepts she had been naive.

Danger! Danger! African name alert!

Well, she could have been considerably more reckless: she's clearly there in person for these events (although she should have hired some security, too). It doesn't sound like they trashed the place. Also, nitrous oxide isn't exactly a dangerous drug (unless you're planning on driving while taking it, or accidentally asphyxiate / freeze your tongue through plain carelessness).

Archived