• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Snow in europe

Watching the news this morning and a hysterical item about snow in the alps. They've had some avalanches and it's a bit crap and people couldn't get to work. Almost none of the hysteria we get when we get snow here, just a boring well it's a snowed a lot there's not much we can do. They have had tons of it and were expecting another 10cm today, to which the presenter choked and said 'well we'd not cope in the uk with that much' ... 

Is 10ft of snow a lot? 

No photo description available.

Little snow has fallen in the Western Alps until the last few days - all the heavy stuff has been further east. 

Edit : Have only been out twice, and that was just lightweight ski-ing with my daughter. Might have a half day boarding on Sunday though if the forecast is ok. I'm a bit heavy and not that fit so actually a half day in powder will be more than enough.

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all

20 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Little snow has fallen in the Western Alps until the last few days - all the heavy stuff has been further east. 

Edit : Have only been out twice, and that was just lightweight ski-ing with my daughter. Might have a half day boarding on Sunday though if the forecast is ok. I'm a bit heavy and not that fit so actually a half day in powder will be more than enough.

Gosh! It's all fun for you Swiss people. I just have tractors and mud to entertain me. No snow here, unlike last year.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Gosh! It's all fun for you Swiss people. I just have tractors and mud to entertain me. No snow here, unlike last year.

Swings and roundabouts Pinny, Swissieland is great and makes the UK look shit on many levels, but is a bit lacking in our great British humour and warmth.

Go to the pub on Sunday with some friends, tell shit jokes, worse anecdotes  and drink some beer, that way you'll be doing something I'd like to do a bit more often and we'll be quits. :)

Just now, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Swings and roundabouts Pinny, Swissieland is great and makes the UK look shit on many levels, but is a bit lacking in our great British humour and warmth.

Go to the pub on Sunday with some friends, tell shit jokes, worse anecdotes  and drink some beer, that way you'll be doing something I'd like to do a bit more often and we'll be quits. :)

I found some of the pubs in Geneva pretty 'british old skool', no?  

Just now, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I had a Swiss work colleague who worked with me in London for some time. I imagine he went back to Holey-Fromage Canton, with a more amusing view on life. He was a smashing joker, but the London sense of humour took him a time to learn. We culturally enriched him, so he could understand "The Sweeney".

9 minutes ago, wherebee said:

I found some of the pubs in Geneva pretty 'british old skool', no?  

There are places - my favourite is actually the one opposite the station with a microbrewery, the beer's as good as anywhere in the world IMO and it's pretty friendly, but in truth these days my life doesn't include much time for stuff like that anyway, if I have to choose between that and going to the mountains the mountains win, and a BPD wife limits social life to say the least.

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

There are places - my favourite is actually the one opposite the station with a microbrewery, the beer's as good as anywhere in the world IMO and it's pretty friendly, but in truth these days my life doesn't include much time for stuff like that anyway, if I have to choose between that and going to the mountains the mountains win, and a BPD wife limits social life to say the least.

Is that the place where they bring a massive glass tube of beer and stick it on a tap in the middle of your table?

2 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I'm a bit heavy and not that fit so actually a half day in powder will be more than enough.

be careful, you might sink !

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

a BPD wife

I'm not sure you need to add the BPD bit, wife is enough.

25 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

be careful, you might sink !

I'm not sure you need to add the BPD bit, wife is enough.

You're not kidding, I'll have to go so bloody fast to stay on the surface at my current weight it's going to be scary, and I'll be wheezing like Ivor the Engine in anything difficult at speed where you have to shift your weight around a lot and soak up bumps.

Normal wives consume all your time just the same I guess but they are more capable of making and keeping friends.

38 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Is that the place where they bring a massive glass tube of beer and stick it on a tap in the middle of your table?

Yep that's it.