• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

I don’t want an Asian doctor

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-46894843

A GP has praised the receptionist at a Glasgow surgery for silencing a patient who said they did not want to see an "Asian doctor".

Dr Punam Krishan took to Twitter to express her pride in her team - and described the positive response to her post as "uplifting".

She said the receptionist had explained that Dr Krishan was Scottish, only to be told: "She doesn't look Scottish." 

The receptionist then replied: "What do Scottish people look like?"

Dr Krishan said this silenced the patient, who then took their appointment card.

Scotland is my home. It is a beautiful, multicultural, diverse nation and ultimately we all need to work together for something like the NHS.

"Disease does not pick a gender and disease does not pick a colour. When you strip it back we are all human."

Not sure I would want this particular one, seems clueless.  See my bold. Well yes, disease does know gender (well sex).  How many women have had testicular cancer? How many men ovarian cancer?  

It also knows colour (well ethnicity). 

Id be worried about the accuracy of her diagnosis given her statements. 

I didn't have any problem with Dr. Khan in Croydon. He found my bad disc in my back. Obviously I wouldn't go to a female Indian doctor. I would be stuffed with samosas, and then diagnosed as overweight.

Edited by MrPin

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I didn't have any problem with Dr. Khan in Croydon. He found my bad disc in my back. Obviously I wouldn't go to a female Indian doctor. I would be stuffed with samosas, and then diagnosed as overweight.

I don’t. I have a problem with the reporting that appears to have an agenda. 

In  what way is this actually news anyway?  

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I don’t. I have a problem with the reporting that appears to have an agenda. 

In  what way is this actually news anyway?  

There is no news. That time is gone. Only endless entertainment.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

We all know what Scottish people look like as they, like Welsh and English people, are a race.

You can be Asian living in Scotland and hold a British passport.  It doesn't make you Scottish.

Not sure whether it's a race or not. Some people look "Scottish", and others "Welsh" or similar. Not sure the Chinese could tell us apart.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

We all know what Scottish people look like as they, like Welsh and English people, are a race.

You can be Asian living in Scotland and hold a British passport.  It doesn't make you Scottish.

Yep, like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle usually.

Have you had your DNA tested are you pure Cornish?

1 minute ago, SNACR said:

Yep, like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle usually.

Have you had your DNA tested are you pure Cornish?

I think Frank is over 4ft tall, and from Birmingham.

Like it or not there do seem to be a lot of brown doctors that are incompetent....

Theres also nothing wrong wanting a health care professional being culturally similar to you..... And that can speak the local lingo...

2 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Like it or not there do seem to be a lot of brown doctors that are incompetent....

Theres also nothing wrong wanting a health care professional being culturally similar to you..... And that can speak the local lingo...

There seem to be quite a few doctors, with a very rudimentary knowledge of the human body. But yes what do some of these "foreign" ones know? Great if  I get Guinea Worm I guess?

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

The two best GPs I have had have both been Asian. When I had my youngest, he was worried about her hips (she is fine) and so really went t9 town on diagnoses and follow up. I left that surgery as it was eventually overpopulated and I couldn’t get an appointment. 

More recently, an Asian doctor with a Scottish accent (true) diagnosed me with an illness I have had for probably 20 years whereas the idiot Irish female doctor brushed me off every time I presented with some vague symptom. Scottish Asian bloke took one look, asked lots of questions, said you have x but will send for tests to confirm. 

I don't dislike my GP because she's Asian.   I dislike my GP because she's utterly useless.

In this case though,  if the lady wants to see a ginger/lesbian/one-legged whatever doctor she should be able to.  But then she should book an appointment in a practice where such a doctor exists and then book an appointment with them specifically.  I don't really understand how this situation managed to occur?

10 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

the doctor will see you now

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2015/04/28/gordon-brown-awarded-honorary-doctorate-by-glasgow-university/

Brown said he was honoured to receive the award

Edited by ashestoashes

8 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Without narrowing it down to specific countries,  but just foreign doctors generally..   presumably they don't actually have a British medical degree and perhaps the equivalence isn't quite what they presume it to be.

Are there countries where you can buy a medical degree that will pass under the radar of the NHS ?

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

The two best GPs I have had have both been Asian. When I had my youngest, he was worried about her hips (she is fine) and so really went t9 town on diagnoses and follow up. I left that surgery as it was eventually overpopulated and I couldn’t get an appointment. 

More recently, an Asian doctor with a Scottish accent (true) diagnosed me with an illness I have had for probably 20 years whereas the idiot Irish female doctor brushed me off every time I presented with some vague symptom. Scottish Asian bloke took one look, asked lots of questions, said you have x but will send for tests to confirm. 

Doctor Khan made my back better. He seemed like he was from Croydon (by the accent), so was not just off the boat.o.O

Just now, Libspero said:

Without narrowing it down to specific countries,  but just foreign doctors generally..   presumably they don't actually have a British medical degree and perhaps the equivalence isn't quite what they presume it to be.

Are there countries where you can buy a medical degree that will pass under the radar of the NHS ?

I used to work in the Middle East. The incompetence of a lot of third world people is amazing to behold...

I used to discuss basic engineering principals and a lot of brown were baffled...

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

Overpostentitis?