• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SillyBilly

New Website

Recommended Posts

Can anyone recommend someone/a company for setting up a company website that looks slick & professional (i.e. not look like a student has knocked it up from a template for £250).

Potentially later want to add into it the functionality for customers to set up/log into their account, place orders, see purchase history, download invoices etc. For starters something basic is adequate as we have no online presence at the moment. Would appreciate a Dosbodder pointing me in the right direction of someone.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Can anyone recommend someone/a company for setting up a company website that looks slick & professional (i.e. not look like a student has knocked it up from a template for £250).

Potentially later want to add into it the functionality for customers to set up/log into their account, place orders, see purchase history, download invoices etc. For starters something basic is adequate as we have no online presence at the moment. Would appreciate a Dosbodder pointing me in the right direction of someone.

 

So you don't want much then?

Is this your own business or are you an employee?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are only two choices for e-commerce -- use a template or spend vast sums of money.

[Have you looked at things like Shopify?  You get all the hard stuff done, and the 'template' just makes it look like the other shop sites (ie, safe familiarity, rather than boring)]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd add that as a general rule you should ask 'is there a generic solution that'll get me at least 80% of the way' -- and if there is just do that because the savings will be immense (even if it isn't perfect).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

Are you reasonably computer literate? (I.e. can you create jpeg and pdf files)

Yes but I wouldn't really want to take on a project if I am honest as I am busy enough as it is -  would prefer to send the content over to someone and a basic brief and let them work at it and come back to me for input/review. Thinking about it, prefer to keep this simple and not do e-commerce at this stage.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dgul said:

I'd add that as a general rule you should ask 'is there a generic solution that'll get me at least 80% of the way' -- and if there is just do that because the savings will be immense.

That's where I was going.

For an absolutely basic, information only website, moonfruit will do the job.

To go a bit further, I would recommend shopify. An investment of a day or so in learning will pay dividends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dgul said:

I'd add that as a general rule you should ask 'is there a generic solution that'll get me at least 80% of the way' -- and if there is just do that because the savings will be immense.

Cheers but I am really after the name of someone or a company that someone has used that they would recommend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

That's where I was going.

For an absolutely basic, information only website, moonfruit will do the job.

To go a bit further, I would recommend shopify. An investment of a day or so in learning will pay dividends.

Thanks, I will check them out, one of my colleagues is pretty creative and computer literate, did mention it to him before and he was up for it so could throw it to him. Shopify sounds like it is worth a gander.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used Wix to create a decent looking website and it's really easy and cheap. Have you got a young relative who is reasonably computer literate who you could pay to do it? Performance will drop off with thousands of users but it's a cheap start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SillyBilly said:

Cheers but I am really after the name of someone or a company that someone has used that they would recommend. 

I'm not going to recommend a person, but please just check if something like Shopify can do it (for £250 a year or so) before you get the quote for the web-build.

The other thing is to completely understand what the ongoing support costs will be -- how much will you be expected to do and how much they'll need to be doing (per year).  You'll also need to have full root access and a full understanding of the framework they're using, even if it is meaningless to you -- otherwise they'll have you over a barrel wrt ongoing costs, and you need to hold the ace-card of the threat of going elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SillyBilly said:

Cheers but I am really after the name of someone or a company that someone has used that they would recommend. 

I started off that way. In the end you spend more time specifying the website and writing the copy than you would just doing it yourself.

I am no guru but one site I had designed a few years ago has come to the end of its useful life. The designer was quoting me £8k to bring it up to date. (So £12k in reality). I managed to recreate it myself in a weekend. That is a lot of money saved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Can anyone recommend someone/a company for setting up a company website that looks slick & professional (i.e. not look like a student has knocked it up from a template for £250).

Potentially later want to add into it the functionality for customers to set up/log into their account, place orders, see purchase history, download invoices etc. For starters something basic is adequate as we have no online presence at the moment. Would appreciate a Dosbodder pointing me in the right direction of someone.

 

One I know in Scotland, presumably you aren't up there but could sort it by email/phone etc.?

http://www.digitalroutes.co.uk/portfolio-shops.php

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SillyBilly said:

Cheers but I am really after the name of someone or a company that someone has used that they would recommend. 

We have a few full time developers on here so hopefully someone will be able to help you. From my own experience on the administration of e-commerce sites be prepared to throw a lot of money at if you want bespoke and you're going to do volume. Not just the website itself but also on back-end resources. If you're expecting to do large volume perhaps consider something like peopleperhour or equivalent, maybe even just go gauge interest/prices etc. Write a brief and see what they repsond with. If you go to your local agencies expect a lot of crap to be thrown your way especially if you don't know much

Separately one person I follow on YouTube actually who isn't your typical business but does a bit of volume decided solely to use ebay. Works for his business and not a recommendation at all. But once he took into consideration all the costs, hassles, frauds/scams etc it was easier to pay the fees to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dgul said:

And in terms of actually setting up Shopify or similar -- anyone can do it; it is easy.

Shopify (and wix etc) all look totally impossible for the first few hours. But get beyond that and they are incredibly powerful.

I think one of my businesses strengths is that we can go from idea to fully functioning website in a day or two. Any wannabee entrepreneur should learn how to put a basic trading website together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I started off that way. In the end you spend more time specifying the website and writing the copy than you would just doing it yourself.

I am no guru but one site I had designed a few years ago has come to the end of its useful life. The designer was quoting me £8k to bring it up to date. (So £12k in reality). I managed to recreate it myself in a weekend. That is a lot of money saved.

Thanks WF, it is useful to get your advice as aware you'll have done it. I had a small website a number of years ago that I got some glitzy UK web "based" company to build for me and then as soon as the money started flowing over to some clueless Indian. A lot of money later and a website that looked and performed worst than something I could have knocked up myself in an afternoon. Was a painful experience. I was hoping there may be someone that I could trust to do a nice job at a reasonable price but if template is the best way to go then I'll look into it. I know they have come a long way since where they were 10+ years ago.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing wrong with WordPress. It's the most widely used - about a third of all websites use it, it's open source, it's free. Wix is diabolical, shopify is expensive. 

Put your job on somewhere like Upwork and people will bid on it. You're asking to get ripped off if you approach a local company. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dgul said:

I'm not going to recommend a person, but please just check if something like Shopify can do it (for £250 a year or so) before you get the quote for the web-build.

The other thing is to completely understand what the ongoing support costs will be -- how much will you be expected to do and how much they'll need to be doing (per year).  You'll also need to have full root access and a full understanding of the framework they're using, even if it is meaningless to you -- otherwise they'll have you over a barrel wrt ongoing costs, and you need to hold the ace-card of the threat of going elsewhere.

Is Shopify just specialising in e-commerce, if we don;t decide to go down that route straight off the bat would it be best to look at something like Wix?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spunko said:

Nothing wrong with WordPress. It's the most widely used - about a third of all websites use it, it's open source, it's free. Wix is diabolical, shopify is expensive. 

Put your job on somewhere like Upwork and people will bid on it. You're asking to get ripped off if you approach a local company. 

Shopify basic is $14 a month. Not sure I would call that expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Is Shopify just specialising in e-commerce, if we don;t decide to go down that route straight off the bat would it be best to look at something like Wix?

I looked at about 8 platforms. They are all much the same but shopify had some things that I needed.

There really isn't much to choose between them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Shopify basic is $14 a month. Not sure I would call that expensive.

Suppose not, their decent plans are much more though. For a simple business website it might be overkill also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.