• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Harley

How's the tax return going?

I've got until 31st of this month (online, no likely payment) so a bit early yet!

Might buy and install the software today as it's raining.  But no hurry.  Might just post here instead.

Yawn.

13 minutes ago, Harley said:

A bit keenist mate.

My cash flow, not theirs!

I always get told I need to pay more "on my account" and I never do. By doing it early costs me nothing. I actually paid them 1p this year too much just so they owe me. 

Childish yes but felt good xD

51 minutes ago, Harley said:

I've got until 31st of this month (online, no likely payment) so a bit early yet!

Might buy and install the software today as it's raining.  But no hurry.  Might just post here instead.

Yawn.

Capital gains and losses are probably the hardest thing to keep tabs on. I usually always try and do a calculation on the date of sale. Backtracking in this paperless age isn't easy. Don't think the main platforms provide a computation ready done. If they do I haven't found it on Hargreaves? Of course the ISA umbrella would negate that.

Edited by crashmonitor

Filed online yesterday.

I used to hate the taxman, then I realised I was aiming my anger in the wrong direction. It's not the collector who is at fault, it's the incompetent, thieving bastards who demand it in the first place, spunk it all away, and then come back demanding ever more who are really to blame.

That said, a lot of civil servants are officious little pricks, so I do keep a little bit back for them.

7 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Me too. Boils my piss.

I am getting quite bad now, I am at the we should alienate all government workers stage. 

Coming back into the UK the other day I would not talk to the chap on passport control much to my wife's annoyance. But fuck em they exist of stolen money. 

Just now, Fully Detached said:

Filed online yesterday.

I used to hate the taxman, then I realised I was aiming my anger in the wrong direction. It's not the collector who is at fault, it's the incompetent, thieving bastards who demand it in the first place, spunk it all away, and then come back demanding ever more who are really to blame.

That said, a lot of civil servants are officious little pricks, so I do keep a little bit back for them.

The collector is still the thief, an honourable person would not do that job. 

12 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Capital gains and losses are probably the hardest thing to keep tabs on. I usually always try and do a calculation on the date of sale. Backtracking in this paperless age isn't easy. Don't think the main platforms provide a computation ready done. If they do I haven't found it on Hargreaves? Of course the ISA umbrella would negate that.

Yup, I use the time to get all my finances up to date.  No CGT, just ISAs and staying below reportable CGT limits.  Plus very small foreign income, if any.

Edited by Harley

31 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I do mine in May as soon as I get my last tax certificate; they pay me :)

They often owe me (or we're quits) so am surprised they still ask me to do one.  Can only assume they can't believe I no longer "earn" and think they're setting a trap.  Wrong!

Edited by Harley

2 minutes ago, ad_ceng said:

I disagree. I have no problem with taxation if the tax take is used appropriately - maintenance of roads, collection of rubbish, provision of an efficient welfare system, education etc. What we end up with is roads full of potholes, ever decreasing public services, a burgeoning welfare system and an indoctrination system which actively un-educates our children so they don't spot what's being done to them. All at the same time as pols are getting wealthier and wealthier. I might not like people who work for the tax office, but they have to put food on the table the same as all the rest of us do.

1 minute ago, Fully Detached said:

I disagree. I have no problem with taxation if the tax take is used appropriately - maintenance of roads, collection of rubbish, provision of an efficient welfare system, education etc. What we end up with is roads full of potholes, ever decreasing public services, a burgeoning welfare system and an indoctrination system which actively un-educates our children so they don't spot what's being done to them. All at the same time as pols are getting wealthier and wealthier. I might not like people who work for the tax office, but they have to put food on the table the same as all the rest of us do.

They do but they do it by taking it from my table. 

In theory a small tax is a noble thing it enables the benefits you point out. In reality we do not get that and are treated as nothing but free range tax slaves. 

I am now at the point of there is nothing the state can do that private enterprise can do outside of perhaps a simple legal system and defense

Spent 6 months attempting to do it online. Gave up and did it on paper in October. 

HMRC have admitted the IT issue is their end. Will try again early next finanical year. 

They then make another fuck up and assume my paper return for 2017-18 is for 2015-16. I write to them again for about the 20th time to state that I WAS NOT RESIDENT IN THE UK FOR TAX PURPOSES FOR THE ENTIRE TAX YEAR of 2015-16

1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

HMRC have admitted the IT issue is their end. Will try again early next finanical year. 

Reminds me that getting the id, etc for on-line has a bit of a lead time.  Managed to sort that out a few years ago and hope all is still well!

5 minutes ago, ad_ceng said:

In theory a small tax is a noble thing it enables the benefits you point out. In reality we do not get that and are treated as nothing but free range tax slaves. 

I agree 100% here - it's a noble thing only if it provides those benefits. Quite clearly it doesn't, and quite clearly we're being taken for a bunch of idiot cash cows, but I put the blame for that squarely on the government, not on the people collecting the money.

41 minutes ago, ad_ceng said:

I am getting quite bad now, I am at the we should alienate all government workers stage. 

Coming back into the UK the other day I would not talk to the chap on passport control much to my wife's annoyance. But fuck em they exist of stolen money. 

I can I just point out for anyone who might have made the same mistake I did?

It's says alienate not eliminate.

37 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

You're lucky that you live in a jurisdiction with a more or less sane approach to capital gains. If you think calculating it in the UK is hard, try the True North instead. One random example of just how stupid it is here: if you have a foreign bank account, you have to track the CAD cost (aka Adjusted Cost Base) of the money in that account and do a CGT calculation on every purchase. There is a $200 de-minimis on the tax you have to pay but you're still supposed to do the calculations to show you haven't breached it. What's more, if you have multiple accounts, you're supposed to keep track of the cost over all of them as one unit. In reality, it's basically impossible to do so people estimate which leaves them in limbo in the case of an audit or request for more details. 

https://www.adjustedcostbase.ca/blog/how-to-calculate-adjusted-cost-base-acb-and-capital-gains/