• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Dave Beans

The football thread

9 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

England has reached its first world cup final in 50 years (well the u20s have)...

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/england-vs-venezuela-u20-world-cup-final-dominic-solanke-inspires-comeback-win-vs-italy-a3560261.html

Hopefully there's a good crop of players coming through...

Probably not unfortunately, these days anybody decent is already playing in the upper levels by 20, or at least at clubs the won't release them for this level.

Good game, the final. I watched the 2nd half, much more enjoyable than senior international football. As you'd expect, the south Americans looked better on the ball, but England were pretty decent, quite direct. That midget who came on for them looked like a young maradona.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Oystons verdict?

If only my club had a minority shareholder. As it is, the owners (who don't own the stadium), who in the past have tried unsuccessfully to change the club name due a spat with the similarly named council, have installed a security gate to stop access to the stadium and taken the council's (who do own the stadium) name off the side of the stadium. Every week seems to bring a new chapter of ridiculousness. 

2 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

If only my club had a minority shareholder. As it is, the owners (who don't own the stadium), who in the past have tried unsuccessfully to change the club name due a spat with the similarly named council, have installed a security gate to stop access to the stadium and taken the council's (who do own the stadium) name off the side of the stadium. Every week seems to bring a new chapter of ridiculousness. 

Absolutely delighted with it. Couldn't have happened to a nicer pair! 

18 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

They do also have a track record of going after web forum posters!

The main reason you should avoid playing Sunday League.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/rival-football-fans-attack-players-13876034

Trouble erupted in the dying minutes of a match after Hulme FC scored a late equaliser against Ordsall-based FCC Stars at Turn Moss playing fields in Stretford on Sunday afternoon.

Spectators armed with knives and golf clubs swarmed onto a Sunday League football pitch as part of a ‘planned attack’ on a rival team, a 25 minute pitch battle ensued which resulted in 5 K.O.s and a broken jaw and only ended after a GMP riot van and 3 cars turned up.

punch.thumb.jpg.20c798fba18f60ad95ce6b3c3f37ff25.jpgduck.thumb.jpg.2fad429e8600377c1b14fdfafbde1746.jpgplank.thumb.jpg.511ff7568ac2b518d847e81b331bb5d8.jpg

8 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

And are now being countersued by Joey Barton to get his money back after that verdict :)

The club is now up for sale..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41944602

I suspect the vast majority of the fans will be overjoyed in getting rid of them...The best thing now, is that some sort of community trust is created, and they buy it, so that this type of shenanigans can never happen again...

Edited by Dave Beans

16 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

The main reason you should avoid playing Sunday League.

I've never seen it that bad, but not far off. One guy who got sent off once came back in the minibus and drove it at the referee during the game. I've been "clothes-lined" by a spectator before. Numerous elbows, goz attacks, women spectators are the worst unsurprisingly. No end of verbals and minor sexual assaults. Playing out wide and waiting to receive a pass with your back turned to the touchline was always nerve-wracking. If you were lucky you'd just end up with your shorts round your ankles.

It's not a very cerebral endeavour, put it that way.

Raheem Sterling - just saying :Jumping:

Gareth Southgate needs to sort this out - unstoppable at City now, doesn't look a quarter the player in the England team. Time to build the side around him.

15 hours ago, blobloblob said:

Raheem Sterling - just saying :Jumping:

Gareth Southgate needs to sort this out - unstoppable at City now, doesn't look a quarter the player in the England team. Time to build the side around him.

Were there genuinely six minutes of stoppages in the second half of that game?

15 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

So which of Belgium, Panama and Tunisia is going to be the banana skin? If you answered "all 3", congratulations! You just passed the British test. 

I don't know what was going on in Belgium 25 years ago - every female citizen must have been dreaming of Enzo Scifo, or something.