• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spunko

Boiler Insurance - con?

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have this? There seems to be blanket coverage on radio and TV for the British Gas cover "from" "£9 a month / £108 a year. I have always overlooked it (as I do all insurance) as a con for the financially illiterate.

The fact that they promote it so widely suggests a huge profit margin. Anyone got it and think it's wonderful?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, spunko said:

Does anyone have this? There seems to be blanket coverage on radio and TV for the British Gas cover "from" "£9 a month / £108 a year. I have always overlooked it (as I do all insurance) as a con for the financially illiterate.

The fact that they promote it so widely suggests a huge profit margin. Anyone got it and think it's wonderful?

Our landlord has it but had to pay for a plumber anyway as they weren't going to send anyone for almost a week. Not British Gas though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.

BG are a con company.

Buy a a Worcester or a Valiant and youll get several year parts n labour warranty. The boilers only cost a few 100 more tha nthe jnk Chinese shit.

Any saving wasted in having the extra labour cost.

You can expect a good boiler to last 10+ years, hassle free.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have it, our boiler is 11 years old now and we've had them out 3 times in the last 2 years so it's been worth it for us. I wouldn't bother with a newer boiler though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Yes.

BG are a con company.

Buy a a Worcester or a Valiant and youll get several year parts n labour warranty. The boilers only cost a few 100 more tha nthe jnk Chinese shit.

Any saving wasted in having the extra labour cost.

You can expect a good boiler to last 10+ years, hassle free.

 

I have a Vaillant here. Pretty good, although my previous bolierman had never seen a broken Worcester.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can vouch for Worcester, good boilers.

Don't have boiler insurance, just have a good plumber and have it serviced each year.

The killer is the gas bill, so I use electric panel heaters when we're in the room /bedroom, this works out much cheaper, and you can have them all evening. Make sure you have good curtains, as there are drafts even in double glazing, and draft seals on internal doors.

4159201_R_Z001A?$Web$&$DefaultPDP1536$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have your boiler serviced (no more than £100) in summer/autumn, if you don't and your boiler is turned on in winter and it is kaput, your plumber is probably booked up for weeks, and you'll be freezing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top tip - a major cause of draughts is bloody idiots who install radiators anywhere other than underneath a window. Have one on the back wall and it'll suck cold air from the window straight along the floor at 100 mph giving your toes frostbite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 201p said:

The killer is the gas bill, so I use electric panel heaters when we're in the room /bedroom, this works out much cheaper

Cheaper than gas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

We have it, our boiler is 11 years old now and we've had them out 3 times in the last 2 years so it's been worth it for us. I wouldn't bother with a newer boiler though.

Do you pay £9 a month or do they put up the price if your boiler is older, like they do with pet insurance?

I've got a 2 year old Grant boiler, they don't even cover oil boilers over the value of £750 and mine was about £900 so that rules me out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Worcester Bosch fan here.  Oil combi.  Servicing any boiler can be a bit of a con (see Which report) or, like mine, not very thorough.  So had Worcester around last time to service and they were excellent.  For just over £100ish.  As a rule, I minimise insurance.  A good boiler, guarantee, and regular servicing for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spunko said:

I've got a 2 year old Grant boiler, they don't even cover oil boilers over the value of £750 and mine was about £900 so that rules me out.

Gas boilers are very simple.  Your's an oil one for only £900?  Crazy cheap. Not sure about Grant.  Mixed.  Get what you pay for.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we had a Worcester put in, they didn't believe our gas meter self-readings as it was so efficient. They sent engineer around to check the meters.

The bill was less (by about 20% I think), but energy prices have crept up a lot since then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, spunko said:

Do you pay £9 a month or do they put up the price if your boiler is older, like they do with pet insurance?

I've got a 2 year old Grant boiler, they don't even cover oil boilers over the value of £750 and mine was about £900 so that rules me out.

I'm not sure Mr D sorted it out - I think it's about £120 per year or thereabouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason people seem to think that insurance is free money.  But it always works out for the insurer.

The reason for insurance is the devastating cost of a big bill.  Not 'oh my boiler's out', but 'oh, my house has burnt down'.  For those instances, the insurer will still win over sufficiently large numbers of people, but if you're one of the unfortunate ones it'll be a godsend.

The opposite of this is the smallish bill.  The sort of thing that'll be a pain to pay, but you're pretty much going to be paying once every 10 years, say.  In that instance you're much better off saving up for the occasion, as that way you won't be paying the insurer's cut.  I suppose you could think of it as an 'strange savings scheme', but it is one which pays negative interest (their cut).

The other thing about insurance is that it encourages bad behaviours.  People with insurance will be less likely to be careful, and more likely to claim as much as possible -- if you've not got insurance you can choose the most cost effective solution for you.  And that doesn't even touch fraud, which all the 'good behaviour folk' will be paying for (not relevant for boilers, but will be for theft insurance). 

Re. timescales for fixing -- people seem very odd and unimaginative.  Sure, you can pay out for an emergency fix, but in the case of boilers there isn't actually any need -- the impact of a bit of cold isn't that bad (arguably it is good), and the cost of using electric heating (and immersion) for a few days will be nothing compared with the 'next day' response payment.   Yet people still call them out as though it is an emergency.  'Your pipes leaking badly over the electrics and turning off the street stopcock leaves you with no water at all' -- that's bad.  A bit of cold isn't.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe everything in this type of review site but I will go against the grain here, not so convinced with the worcester bosch brand as I was, have a sneaky feeling they have gone  cheap. I reckon Valiant are a better better with stainless steel heat exchangers and less cheapening of parts..

Worcester Bosch

https://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews120948.html

Veering towards having an Intergas fitted as they seem to be the cream of the crop now unless the the gas fitters are pumping their own preferred fit/brand. As much as they like the money I suspect the hassle of going back fixing the same problems must wear and most will want to fit something decent in the first place as generally not short of work anyway as a trade!

Intergas

https://www.reviewcentre.com/boilers/intergas_boilers-reviews_1877712

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dgul said:

Sure, you can pay out for an emergency fix, but in the case of boilers there isn't actually any need

On a similar theme, I put a screw through a heating pipe at 19:00.  Called the plumber, voicemail, never ever replied.  In the meantime, calmed down, watched Youtube, and fixed it myself.  Money, pride, speed, education, etc.  Much better.  Not that I would, or indeed be allowed to, repair a boiler, but yes, calm down and save a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dgul said:

the impact of a bit of cold isn't that bad (arguably it is good),

Normal people.

They don't even wear coats walking out in cold wet weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dgul said:

For some reason people seem to think that insurance is free money.  But it always works out for the insurer.

The reason for insurance is the devastating cost of a big bill.  Not 'oh my boiler's out', but 'oh, my house has burnt down'.  For those instances, the insurer will still win over sufficiently large numbers of people, but if you're one of the unfortunate ones it'll be a godsend.

 

It is a problem with the perception of risk, a big loss will wipe you out, that is exactly where insurance pays big (literally). Disaster recovery nothing else to beat it, at the lower end for the peace of mind that you won't get a bill from a boiler breakdown, nah, that is where they are creating a market for those who cannot budget. Always has to work out for the insurer as there are reserves and backstops that make sure a payout is received and your insurer does not just disappear into the ether every few years with your money leaving you no cover so compliance and overheads are pretty high. Government doesn't help ratcheting up insurance tax, basically everywhere where they can scrape more money off the transaction they are doing so if they think they can get away with it and not too many people noticing/complaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Harley said:

Gas boilers are very simple.  Your's an oil one for only £900?  Crazy cheap. Not sure about Grant.  Mixed.  Get what you pay for.  

I just checked the invoice it was £1400 actually.  I hope it doesn't break, but it'd still be much cheaper to have it fixed as and when.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 201p said:

Er you underestimate normal people.

I never meet any and am not one.

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

I just checked the invoice it was £1400 actually.  I hope it doesn't break, but it'd still be much cheaper to have it fixed as and when.

Mine was a lot more, not sure how much though, but then it was a combi.  But I think I was ripped off - plumbers make most money on the kit.  Maybe it goes wrong earlier, maybe not, but doesn't mean it will cost much to fix.  Maybe you could research common problems and costs.  Maybe we all should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Harley said:

On a similar theme, I put a screw through a heating pipe at 19:00.  Called the plumber, voicemail, never ever replied.  In the meantime, calmed down, watched Youtube, and fixed it myself.  Money, pride, speed, education, etc.  Much better.  Not that I would, or indeed be allowed to, repair a boiler, but yes, calm down and save a bit.

Can use something like LLFA Tape - self fusing tape to provide a temp fix and buy some time. Never used it myself but apparently works very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.