• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

NTB

Show us your music collection

Since DTMark was kind enough to share his vinyl collection in the 10CC thread I thought a dedicated thread to share our collections and discuss was in order so the stuff I have on vinyl is attached. If there is a big overlap with what you have I would love to hear recommendations.

NTB vinyl.xls

Good idea.. I feel guilty for hijacking Tabasco's thread ;)

I shall review your list. I wonder what the probability of overlap will be with mine... actually, I think we know. Those three or four LPs..

Will be equally interested to see what people recommend for you.

dtmark-vinyl.xls

A lot of LPs there! My list is mostly 12" singles. As you know, was never much of an album man as I've always been into dance music a lot of which tends to be short lived and spawns few albums.

From your collection, specifically excluding what we've talked about and discussed, which you know anyway, I do like:

AC/DC (when in the right mood, guitars on Thunderstruck are really memorable, that's a bit like a "heavy metal dance music track" if there ever were such a thing)
Bruce Hornsby and the Range (admittedly based on just one track)
Carole King
Electric Light Orchestra (in small quantities, highly "syrupy")
Iggy Pop (some)
Saint Etienne (Motiv8's legendary remix of "She's on the Phone" and the Trouser Enthusiasts' mix of "Sylvie" are the top tracks for me, they lend themselves so well to dance remixes)
T-Rex (in small quantities - Dad was a big fan, I know there's more vinyl somewhere as he definitely had this)
The Cure (some)
ZZ Top (when in the right mood)

As for what to recommend, I shall ponder the list. I've struggled in the past with this! I think you're much more likely to get good recommendations from others.

1 hour ago, DTMark said:

Good idea.. I feel guilty for hijacking Tabasco's thread ;)

I shall review your list. I wonder what the probability of overlap will be with mine... actually, I think we know. Those three or four LPs..

Will be equally interested to see what people recommend for you.

dtmark-vinyl.xls

No worries my friend! Respect to your obvious fervent appreciation of music! :)

10 hours ago, NTB said:

Since DTMark was kind enough to share his vinyl collection in the 10CC thread I thought a dedicated thread to share our collections and discuss was in order so the stuff I have on vinyl is attached. If there is a big overlap with what you have I would love to hear recommendations.

NTB vinyl.xls

That is an outstanding list, and would massively over lap with mine. 

I'll go through it, and see if I can recommend something, but I'm not sure I'll be able to! 

Just when you think this place might not be autism central, someone posts a spreadsheet of their record collectionxD

Some good stuff on there, had totally forgotten about Jellyfish, criminally underrated, no shortage of investment by the record co, looking at the videos though, so not sure what went wrong. A hell of a lot shitter bands have made it much bigger.

On 2017-6-9 at 00:06, DTMark said:

A lot of LPs there! My list is mostly 12" singles. As you know, was never much of an album man as I've always been into dance music a lot of which tends to be short lived and spawns few albums.

From your collection, specifically excluding what we've talked about and discussed, which you know anyway, I do like:

AC/DC (when in the right mood, guitars on Thunderstruck are really memorable, that's a bit like a "heavy metal dance music track" if there ever were such a thing)
Bruce Hornsby and the Range (admittedly based on just one track)
Carole King
Electric Light Orchestra (in small quantities, highly "syrupy")
Iggy Pop (some)
Saint Etienne (Motiv8's legendary remix of "She's on the Phone" and the Trouser Enthusiasts' mix of "Sylvie" are the top tracks for me, they lend themselves so well to dance remixes)
T-Rex (in small quantities - Dad was a big fan, I know there's more vinyl somewhere as he definitely had this)
The Cure (some)
ZZ Top (when in the right mood)

As for what to recommend, I shall ponder the list. I've struggled in the past with this! I think you're much more likely to get good recommendations from others.

Bruce Hornsby The Way It Is would have to be a near top pick, for me, St Etienne, she's on the phone maybe top twenty too.

I've got a car, that used to belong to Rick Parfitt, it was one of a set of special editions produced for a handful of celebs, on both sides of the Atlantic, presumably for the promotional benefit maybe. Anyway, it's got a greatly uprated sound system, amongst other things, to the regular model at the time, which even, by today's standards, is still pretty bloody epic. In the CD changer in the boot it still had a load of CDs in and I discovered ZZ Top Legs, for the first time, on one of them and in that car it sounds amazing but weirdly I don't enjoy it nearly as much on any other stereo or speakers.

Not sure what about the sound system makes it so good, it does make most things sound pretty good, I think it's maybe the sub in the boot that pulsates the whole car interior, thumping the seat into your back and causing the headlights to dim slightly in time to the music. I do sometimes just sit in that car and listen to whatever the contents of the CD changer is and then realise I've flattened the battery.

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 00:21, SNACR said:

Just when you think this place might not be autism central, someone posts a spreadsheet of their record collectionxD

:)

Just to explain a little - some of us have one entire side or section of the living room devoted to vinyl records and I certainly wondered if any of mine were worth big money.

If you sign up @ Discogs you can then input your collection incredibly quickly. Only took me about 90 minutes to input the whole lot. Minus the small pile of CDs and singles.

There's an inherited Bowie original orange label pressing that's worth money particularly since all the digital remasters have been horrific and the original LP is about the only listenable copy of the album. That could sell for over £100, perhaps over £200,

There are a few quite rare old things that might potentially fetch over £50 as they are mint.

And a stack of 12" dance singles from the mid 90s that might fetch £15-ish each.

However 95% of the collection are worth less than £3 - some more like 50p - and so even though I could easily pull out 100 records I don't listen to and sell them, the conclusion is that it simply isn't worth bothering.

What I have found however is that the digital streaming services are fine for the mainstream stuff, although I can't do digital at only CD quality, it has to be a lot higher, or MQA - my ears hear too much digital distortion so it's no alternative at all - they're certainly not an alternative to a back-catalogue and if what you like is obscure, they're fairly useless. Which I suppose is some justification for having two large racking units in the living room and a competent turntable.

My music collection is essentially a load of CDs in some 1990s racks.

I started it in 1992 aged 14. Had to restart it again in 1996 due to a burglary by members of the travelling community who the council were keen on housing locally back in the day.

Back albums by bands include The Smashing Pumpkins, Pulp, Pink Floyd, Roxy Music, Genesis, Yes, Camel and Funkadelic.