• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One percent

Violent crime up by almost 20 percent

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46984559

Violent crime recorded by police in England and Wales has risen by 19%, latest figures show. 

The number of homicides - including murder and manslaughter - has risen from 649 to 739, an increase of 14%, and the highest total since 2007. 

Robbery went up by 17%, as did recorded sexual offences, according to the Home Office data released by the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

The figures cover the 12 months to the end of September 2018. 

Overall crimes recorded by police went up by 7% in that period, with a total of 5,723,182 offences recorded.

There has also been an increase in stalking and harassment offences recorded by police, which have risen by 41%. The ONS said it was likely that improvements in the way such crimes are recorded were likely to be behind the rise. 

Public order offences went up by 24% to 427,134. In this case, while the ONS said changes in recording practices might have had an impact, there could also be a "genuine" increase.

would anyone like to put forward a theory as to why?  

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Violent crime recorded by police in England and Wales has risen by 19%, latest figures show. 

The number of homicides - including murder and manslaughter - has risen from 649 to 739, an increase of 14%, and the highest total since 2007. 

Robbery went up by 17%, as did recorded sexual offences, according to the Home Office data released by the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

Overall crimes recorded by police went up by 7% in that period, with a total of 5,723,182 offences recorded.

There has also been an increase in stalking and harassment offences recorded by police, which have risen by 41%. The ONS said it was likely that improvements in the way such crimes are recorded were likely to be behind the rise. 

Public order offences went up by 24% to 427,134. In this case, while the ONS said changes in recording practices might have had an impact, there could also be a "genuine" increase.

Brexit?

I'm going to stick my neck out and say this isn't as bad as it is made out to be. It's obviously not good but from what I understand we are back at 2008 levels of violent crime - hardly a time of great strife for the country.

For the record I think violent crime will continue to increase until we reach 2nd world, if not 3rd world standards. This is the plan after all. However it may take another decade to get there. Another factor is that non-British people living in the slums are less likely to report crime to the police so it is probably already under-reported.

I would be interested in seeing true stats for Chindianised/Islamified areas where the grand replacement has already been achieved. But then, I don't think the ONS work like that for obvious reasons. 

23 minutes ago, One percent said:

Yes, the violent crime is up due to improvements in recording the data. No need to do anything, everything is fine, nothing to see here.

Public order offences are up due to far right and TR demonstrations/riots. New laws are to be introduced to crack down on the nasty far right, harsh penalties will be dished out for even the most minor of transgressions.

Did I win the internet today?

It'll be connected to Brexit, right wing terrorism and hurty words - and people standing still and smiling, not to mention TR wanting to ask some questions - the police will need more funds.

There is an interesting side to the numbers that is downplayed by the reporting.

You expect to see broad changes in crime over very long timescales.  This is to be expected and will reflect slow changes in societal norms.  Of course, it can't be ignored, but at the same time it can't easily be used for comparative purposes.

But then there are short term changes in the numbers.  This is usually over-hyped (because of natural variability in the numbers), but here you have >20% change yoy.  This is incredible.  It can't be chance, can't be 'reporting' (without new reporting rules being introduced) -- there is something fundamental going on.

What's more, when you have 'fundamental things going on' it is vitally important to try to understand them (especially if they're getting worse).

Here we have the old stalwart 'drugs'.  But why?  What's changed?  How bad is it going to get?  

Anyway, I don't believe it.  The numbers are dreadful.  I think there is a fair chance that there are reasons being ignored because of 'racist' -- I'd be so happy if they reported 'you might think this was to do with xyz, but we've really looked hard into it and it doesn't actually seem to be that'.  But no.  It's drugs.

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

There is an interesting side to the numbers that is downplayed by the reporting.

You expect to see broad changes in crime over very long timescales.  This is to be expected and will reflect slow changes in societal norms.  Of course, it can't be ignored, but at the same time it can't easily be used for comparative purposes.

But then there are short term changes in the numbers.  This is usually over-hyped (because of natural variability in the numbers), but here you have >20% change yoy.  This is incredible.  It can't be chance, can't be 'reporting' (without new reporting rules being introduced) -- there is something fundamental going on.

What's more, when you have 'fundamental things going on' it is vitally important to try to understand them (especially if they're getting worse).

Here we have the old stalwart 'drugs'.  But why?  What's changed?  How bad is it going to get?  

Anyway, I don't believe it.  The numbers are dreadful.  I think there is a fair chance that there are reasons being ignored because of 'racist' -- I'd be so happy if they reported 'you might think this was to do with xyz, but we've really looked hard into it and it doesn't actually seem to be that'.  But no.  It's drugs.

Drugs might be becoming racist too of course.

7 minutes ago, dgul said:

I've thought about this some and I'm going to change my answer, slightly.

It's due to the rise of populism and the far right.

Everyone knows that populism and the far right are bad. These have both increased along with the increase in violent crime.

I'm a lefty for the day so can make stuff up  - Correlation DOES imply causation

Have I just won the internet twice in one day?

Just now, ashestoashes said:

is stabbing really a crime ? remove that and the figures will improve

The only crime is to call it a crime.

Its ceremonial bloodletting, its a religious and cultural thing, you should learn to be more tolerant of other cultures.

3 minutes ago, null; said:

I've thought about this some and I'm going to change my answer, slightly.

It's due to the rise of populism and the far right.

Everyone knows that populism and the far right are bad. These have both increased along with the increase in violent crime.

I'm a lefty for the day so can make stuff up  - Correlation DOES imply causation

Have I just won the internet twice in one day?

No. You have won the job of Home Secretary. Or if you prefer you can be mayor of the wonderful sidy of London 

26 minutes ago, null; said:

Yes, the violent crime is up due to improvements in recording the data. No need to do anything, everything is fine, nothing to see here.

Public order offences are up due to far right and TR demonstrations/riots. New laws are to be introduced to crack down on the nasty far right, harsh penalties will be dished out for even the most minor of transgressions.

Did I win the internet today?

Indeed, until recently murder was barely reported to the police. It was always handled informerly, usually with a brutal lynching. 

The increase in murder rates is actually a sign of a fall in the rate of crime across the board. Our brave police are doing a great job of keeping us all safe. Keep it up lads and lasses! and non-binaries!

56 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

Time for a knife amnesty, we can give out a plastic one for every steak knife surrendered

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Id say half is lithuanians. The other half is black teenage males.

1 hour ago, billfunk said:

I'm going to stick my neck out and say this isn't as bad as it is made out to be. It's obviously not good but from what I understand we are back at 2008 levels of violent crime - hardly a time of great strife for the country.

For the record I think violent crime will continue to increase until we reach 2nd world, if not 3rd world standards. This is the plan after all. However it may take another decade to get there. Another factor is that non-British people living in the slums are less likely to report crime to the police so it is probably already under-reported.

I would be interested in seeing true stats for Chindianised/Islamified areas where the grand replacement has already been achieved. But then, I don't think the ONS work like that for obvious reasons. 

Ahh yes. The Not-as--bad-as-Brazil argument....

1 hour ago, ashestoashes said:

I’m not to bothered about the gangs in Londonistan killing each other with stabbything

1 hour ago, One percent said:

It's just the beginning, they would die for stats like that in the future.

I've suggested before that the new laws being tested on old cases like these, will encourage people to think they can get away with murder.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-45733551

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46111655

If he/(she?) tipped me over the edge is a wrong conviction, I'm expecting a lot more cases. Then I cannot see why that will be limited to domestic abuse cases and just murder.

2 hours ago, One percent said:

Who was in power in 2007?

If you look further down the article, 1994 was a good year for crime. I suspect the economy is not doing so good at the moment, and people can get "very inventive" in ways to support themselves in a downturn..

2 hours ago, One percent said:

Change in the way crimes are recorded? More people willing to report a crime? New improved computer system/software update allowing more crimes to be stored on the cloud?

Just now, OurDayWillCome said:

Change in the way crimes are recorded? More people willing to report a crime? New improved computer system/software update allowing more crimes to be stored on the cloud?

Yes, I think that's part of it, as it doesn't feel "very dangerous" going outside yet.

2 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Maybe recording all the hurty words on social media. 

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Yes, I think that's part of it, as it doesn't feel "very dangerous" going outside yet.

You clearly haven’t walked through Hackney or the east end recently. It’s a bit stabby there.