• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

Removing large plastic wall plugs from a wall

Question

Got the wallplugs remaining from a mahoosive TV bracket stuck in a wall.

Have tried pliers but no way can I turn them let alone pull them out.

They have a plastic collar/flange that stands proud of the wall so is my only option to try and drill the out with a HSS bit.

1663646358_wallplugremoval.jpg.2d74da85f83958dc4dbcaa87e23c5e56.jpg

Edited by Chewing Grass
disleksea

11 answers to this question

Normally if there a pain to remove most the time i use a screwdriver or something similar and hammer to punch them in on themselves 

or drill them out with an old wood drill bit

Edited by DoINeedOne

1 minute ago, DoINeedOne said:

Normally if there a pain to remove most the time i use a screwdriver or something similar and hammer to punch them in on themselves 

or drill them out with an old wood drill bit

I feel my solution is simpler. o.OxD

^ @Option5 has it - I normally put a fat screw in (just a short way) then use a claw hammer to "hook" it out., put a piece of plywood or plastic beween the hammer and the wall so you don't make the wall. Use "superlight" filler (from Wilkos / poundshop) to fill the hole that's left. Then Pub !

Mole grips and a slide hammer will pull it straight out without pulling more plaster out like the screw technique does if there's enough exposed plastic to lock on to.

I realise that even if you've got some mole grips you probably won't have a slide hammer and it wouldn't be worth buying them just for this so my advice is largely redundant. Although if you ever need to do the cab mount shock absorbers on a DAF XF truck cab you'd already have a slide hammer you'll need to extract them.

Edited by SNACR

Tend to use the fat threaded screw technique, if that does not work or likely to create more of a mess turn screw around, place head over wall plug and tap it into the wall (works most of the time as usually some free space at the end of the screw hole for the plug to be banged into). if that doesn't, work it is in there good an solid and won't move at all then stanley knife and just cut off the rim. As the hole need to be filled anyway and filling over a void usually requires at least two applications to get a smooth surface (or packing first)  then maybe best not even to bother trying to remove plugs in the first place - especially if in there good and tights you have a nice backing for the filler. The real bastards to get out are the concrete sleeve anchors and alike.  

On 25/01/2019 at 19:54, Option5 said:

Put a fatter screw in and screw it in only until it grips the plug, then use pliers to pull both out using the screw head.

or claw hammer to extract, using a wallpaper scraper or decorators knife to pivot against and spread the load on the wall so you only have to fill and sand the hole the plug has left. 

I must have removed at least 20 from this house. Previous owner had a hardon for anything remotely wall hangable. Right state it was.