• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stokiescum

gardens

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

can anyone beat this beast.im not into gardening but even i thought wtf at the size of the garden on this 90k house.unless its some fantastic trick photography.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/50225116?search_identifier=c245a8e79408c7aa0448f1dcd305dc34

With thoughtful planting of the right trees you could make that quite secluded without losing any light. Silver birch, Gingkos, some fruit trees. get rid of much of the grass for veg patch or raised beds if there is no soil depth, maybe a small polytunnel, chickens, could be quite good, perhaps even a pig. In fact, get a pig in to begin with just to dig it over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks big but probably isn't quite as big as it looks.  All photos appear to be done on wide-angle lens with a lot of distortion once you get out of the centre of image.  This is particularly noticeable in picture 2, where 2 doors under the sink are probably of the same width, but the right one looks much wider.

3ffc5ac42f4fdc2140b4944854b60d26126d39e9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Screw that. You'd spend half your weekend mowing the bastard thing which would be an arse of a job as it's not exactly level or a collection of the finest fescues known to man. 

We actually binned some houses off when we were looking around as the gardens would have have been massively onerous to maintain.

you can just fence of half the garden &, let it go to scrub, you might even get some wild blackberries growing, tasty & also great for security :) you don't have to use all your land for a manicured garden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To sort out that garden, you'd need to get in some machinery, although it looks as if the main access is via a 2.6ft gate at the front.  I'd get a mini digger in there, and scrape off the old grass, gathering it at the front of the garden.  I'd then use a crawler barrow to get it all out.  Once level, I'd seed the ground.  You could even put some sleepers in there, creating a terraced effect.  It would also create flat areas, making it more usable and manageable on the upkeep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

Looks big but probably isn't quite as big as it looks.  All photos appear to be done on wide-angle lens with a lot of distortion once you get out of the centre of image.  This is particularly noticeable in picture 2, where 2 doors under the sink are probably of the same width, but the right one looks much wider.

 

Actually, scrap that, the garden itself is pretty big:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Welbeck+Pl,+Stoke-on-Trent+ST2+8LN/@53.0308728,-2.1336805,87a,35y,90h/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487a420660beb1b7:0x61f2150f96c018bb!8m2!3d53.0309412!4d-2.1341409

Second biggest triangular plot there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

To sort out that garden, you'd need to get in some machinery, although it looks as if the main access is via a 2.6ft gate at the front.  I'd get a mini digger in there, and scrape off the old grass, gathering it at the front of the garden.  I'd then use a crawler barrow to get it all out.  Once level, I'd seed the ground.  You could even put some sleepers in there, creating a terraced effect.  It would also create flat areas, making it more usable and manageable on the upkeep.

would cost a shit load though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

would cost a shit load though.

Mini diggers are about £80 a day.  8ft sleepers are about £20 each.  Three days to clear (as a rough guess)..A couple of bags of seed...You'd be looking just over a week or so..If I were to do it (without the sleepers; to get the ground ready), I'd charge about a grand, give or take..The access looks like a bit of a bugger..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

170 ft front to back, knock the house down and build a detached at the top of the garden or more realistically keep the house and build a log cabin type thing for a few grand and get the sun from dawn til dusk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

170 ft front to back, knock the house down and build a detached at the top of the garden or more realistically keep the house and build a log cabin type thing for a few grand and get the sun from dawn til dusk

A number of neighbours near me had similar gardens.  They grouped together, and sold the lot off to a developer.  Another, a local housing association had a lot of houses built in the 60s, and were crumbling.  They turned a plot that had 40 houses on it, into 60 houses, as the gardens were massive.  It can be tricky to get planning, especially if any new housing causes "privacy" issues (ie overlooking existing houses)..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon you could pair that down with a hover mower in less than an hour. Grass recovers within weeks with regular mowing. I've turned around very dodgy nettly undergrowth into lawns doing just that, such as roadside verges. Needs a few borders and shrubs as it is very stark. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

I reckon you could pair that down with a hover mower in less than an hour. Grass recovers within weeks with regular mowing. I've turned around very dodgy nettly undergrowth into lawns doing just that, such as roadside verges. Needs a few borders and shrubs as it is very stark. 

It depends if the ground was level underneath.  I suspect its not..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That grass is fine, after a few months of constant mowing you'll never know it looked like that only a short while before. My garden was like that, you just have to make sure you can be bothered to mow minimum once a week - in the summer I mow mine twice a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.