DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

15000 jobs to go at Tesco 🇬🇧

Sugarlips

So much for the Tesco family....

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/thousands-of-tesco-jobs-at-risk-as-grocer-looks-to-cut-costs-1.3772513

apparently they will save a few quid by replacing staff canteens with vending machines and using frozen dough in the bakery rather than made on site.

theyve also already cut 29000 staff every year for the last 3 years (presumably helped by the roll out of self serve checkouts and payWave)

7 minutes ago, Errol said:

Yummy! That will really help sales when everyone realises how sh*t it is.

Funny enough, until recently, Tesco fresh bread and bread buns were better than the other supermarkets. About six months ago, they changed the recipes and it’s bloody awful   

Too easy to just blame cost savings, there's a demographic shift afoot. I very rarely see anyone ordering at the counters and if someone does they're over 50. Simple truth is that we are increasingly avoiding human contact as much as possible. That's why people pick up pre-packaged plastic wrapped ham right next to the deli counter and queue up at self checkout tills when cashiers are available

2 minutes ago, afly said:

Too easy to just blame cost savings, there's a demographic shift afoot. I very rarely see anyone ordering at the counters and if someone does they're over 50. Simple truth is that we are increasingly avoiding human contact as much as possible. That's why people pick up pre-packaged plastic wrapped ham right next to the deli counter and queue up at self checkout tills when cashiers are available

Satre was onto something when he said “hell is other people “. o.O

20 minutes ago, afly said:

This is certainly as it is in our local Tescos, never really see anyone at the deli. Huge amount of stuff from the deli ends up on the reduced shelf with yellow stickers and even then a lot gets left. It does mean some bargains can be had though.

3 hours ago, afly said:

Good post on the issue.

Much like otehr stores eg M&S,the average of the shoppers is getting older as younger hosueholds use the discounters due to reducing disposable income.

3 hours ago, afly said:

You might just be reading too much into it.  I just always assumed counters are more expensive, so never bothered. Not that it matters much to me anymore, just a habit from the student days.

Plus you have to make a decision how much product is required, etc.  Do I want 100g? 200g? Who knows, the packaged amount looks about right.

5 hours ago, afly said:

Simple truth is that we are increasingly avoiding human contact as much as possible

Good riddance too, I having to be in proximity to other smelly noisy bags of meat except there is specific advantage to being so e.g. sex and earning money.

1 minute ago, goldbug9999 said:

Good riddance too, I having to be in proximity to other smelly noisy bags of meat except there is specific advantage to being so e.g. sex and earning money.

5 hours ago, One percent said:

Satre was onto something when he said “hell is other people “. o.O

He could probably have dealt with the gaze of the girl on the deli counter with very little angst. 

5 hours ago, afly said:

That might be the answer ....,  just ask yourself "why" they want to avoid human contact? It's not like the person behind the counter is going to say "What do you want, you fat, smelly ugly cunt?" is it? As far a interactions go I would have thought buying 4 slices of smoked back bacon and some sausages would be a pretty neutral process?

So what can it be....?

People don't know what the product is and they don't want to show their ignorance. Ermm 4 slices of pig and 2 of cow please.

A generation of know it all's and you can't tell me's. Brought up on a diet of pot noodles, curry (waht meat is this? Cow?) and takeaway.

If talking to people was such a problem then why are apple stores a thing? 

They seem to be aligning themselves with the Lidls basically.  I thought recently they also were planning on reducing their range of products and going for more 'own' name stuff.

Personally don't rate their bread anywhere near Sainsbury's offerings and maybe even Lidl.  Assume the latter using frozen dough already.

Less bargains will probably be the result from the yellow sticker stack unfortunately.  Though probably good I would say for the share holders long term!?  

19 hours ago, afly said:

Interesting now you mention it I’ve been heading for the tills more in Sainsbury’s recently, always nice to have a quick chat even if it’s about nonsense, got to help both our day in some way 

13 hours ago, Dogtania said:

Personally don't rate their bread anywhere near Sainsbury's offerings and maybe even Lidl.

Mine is the best.  10 minutes of my life, cheaper, full provenance, and oh that smell!

Every Tesco trip is annoying. I would buy everything non perishable online and get delivered and buy groceries once a week at the market/butcher. I still can't prevent my wife from going into every single fucking isle of the shop even if she doesn't need anything. Such is the mentality. 

On 29/01/2019 at 00:15, XswampyX said:

That might be the answer ....,  just ask yourself "why" they want to avoid human contact? It's not like the person behind the counter is going to say "What do you want, you fat, smelly ugly cunt?" is it? As far a interactions go I would have thought buying 4 slices of smoked back bacon and some sausages would be a pretty neutral process?

So what can it be....?

People don't know what the product is and they don't want to show their ignorance. Ermm 4 slices of pig and 2 of cow please.

A generation of know it all's and you can't tell me's. Brought up on a diet of pot noodles, curry (waht meat is this? Cow?) and takeaway.

If talking to people was such a problem then why are apple stores a thing? 

I think that's the primary reason.

Their food buyers and deli staff are going to be experts; knowing and being able to taste the diffeence between particular methods of curing Spanish and Italian hams and they are, or rather were, making the mistake of pitching it Joe Public as though they will also know these things.

I would suggest that 95% of the food buying public, including myself, don't know this and can't "taste the difference" so for them the profusion of choice offered at the deli counter is merely baffling.  As long as I have been going in Tesco the deli counters have been empty of customers, mere fancy window dressing, so it's more surprising to me that they have persisted this long rather than that they're closing them now.

On 31/01/2019 at 10:00, Frank Hovis said:

I think that's the primary reason.

Their food buyers and deli staff are going to be experts; knowing and being able to taste the diffeence between particular methods of curing Spanish and Italian hams and they are, or rather were, making the mistake of pitching it Joe Public as though they will also know these things.

I would suggest that 95% of the food buying public, including myself, don't know this and can't "taste the difference" so for them the profusion of choice offered at the deli counter is merely baffling.  As long as I have been going in Tesco the deli counters have been empty of customers, mere fancy window dressing, so it's more surprising to me that they have persisted this long rather than that they're closing them now.

Even our Co-op closed their counter and they are premium pricers!

Archived