• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Caravan Monster

Home network over large area

Question

The home network here is essentially 2 centres house (where the phone line is) and workshop, which is around 100m cable run away. The link between the house and workshop has been a dedicated armoured mains cable with home plugs either end. The router in the house and access point in the workshop have various ethernet and wifi connections coming off them. The home plugs (about 5 or 6 of them) and the ap are on their last legs and will soon need replacing.

My question is for a low demand home network covering a large area, would it be best sticking with cheap (ish) homeplugs or is it worth going to the time and expense of shielded ethernet cable and switches now that is getting cheaper to buy?

The focus is on reliability over speed, it's about 15Mbps down at the phone line and no gaming going on, so the speed of the home network isn't that important. Needs to be something that 'just works' as I am the only one here who vaguely understands the network, everyone else either believes the internet to be some form of magic or presses buttons until something happens (it once took me 2 months to figure out and put right 'security improvements' done under the influence of alcohol xD)

4 answers to this question

The homeplug solution is convenient, works, and although it's not so performant as a wired ethernet network - if you only have 15Mbps in total it should be perfectly fine. If you have, say, 300Mbps on tap (e.g. cable), you might well notice the drop but again if you're not doing that much with it, you probably won't.

That said, it's what we use to repeat the connection around our house, and ours have just failed. And, before that, the connection would drop - not regularly, but periodically, perhaps because of electrical spikes. It would "go away" for about 90 seconds. Problem traced to that link - it's not the router. I would run an ethernet cable but it would have to run down the outside of the house and need drilling.

It is only the unreliability of the homeplug option that has me even considering that. And in all honesty I'll probably just buy some more homeplugs.

The homeplugs here do the same thing, stop working for a few minutes around 5pm, I assumed it was because of something like a heater firing up. If it was my own place ethernet cable would be more on the cards but as a dirty renter I just don't care enough to make improvements to the landlord's place anymore. The hardware has done well, the netgear AP lasting nearly a decade semi exposed to the weather in a barn.

Don't bother with homeplugs , the only solution is hard wired cable or those expensive Google boosters. Anything else is too unreliable. I'd go with wired, I've had my home done with cat6 cable and bought the wire myself, paid an electrician for one days work plus a few materials. Infinitely better than wireless and future proof as cat6 takes up to 1000Mbps. 

On 08/02/2019 at 17:08, spunko said:

Don't bother with homeplugs , the only solution is hard wired cable or those expensive Google boosters. Anything else is too unreliable. I'd go with wired, I've had my home done with cat6 cable and bought the wire myself, paid an electrician for one days work plus a few materials. Infinitely better than wireless and future proof as cat6 takes up to 1000Mbps. 

Pretty much a case of where a low tech solution is best. Yes cable!