• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Log Stoves

Anyone got one? My parents have an open fire and tbh I think it's awesome. It's almost spiritual coming in from the cold and staring at a roaring log fire.... I also love the log store I've built. It just gives me a feeling of wellbeing seeing a log store full of dry logs :)

My favourite wood to burn is just branches and old pallets. They burn with a cheery flame and give lots of heat :)

I have one but it’s a multifuel stove. If no free or cheap wood I use smokeless fuel on it. I keep it on 24/7 from around November to March depending on weather. 

Lovely!

Much better than an open fire because the air controls allow you to slow down the burning rate of the fuel. I had an open fire for years and couldn’t ever have contemplated keeping it lit for months.

Logs are best in the stove because of the very nice flame effect but it needs refilled around two hourly. Smokeless fuel gives a decent flame effect but only requires refilling twice a day with a smaller top up to keep it ticking over all night.

A plus for me is that I’m not paying utility companies for heating because I only put it on occasionally when very cold and sometimes just to run it.

I also like knowing that my heating is prepaid because I’ve bought or acquired the fuel before it’s used.

Essential for me.  Not a nice to have.  But yes, quite medative to watch and gives a particularly nice form of heat.

Open fires are (relative to stoves) very inefficient but do provide the ventilation requirement on which the houses were usually built.

I would not burn any treated wood (pallets) as they can give off toxic fumes.  Paint, etc also don't do the flues any good.

The chimney/flue needs to be cleaned regularly and get a certificate, in case of a chimney fire and having to deal with the insurers.

There are lists on the internet detailing which woods burn the best per weight/£ and their seasoning requirements.

Ideally the stove would not be where the fireplace was but outside so the heat radiates into the room more than against the back wall.  Big difference.

I like this website (regularly updated) when looking at energy sources:

https://nottenergy.com/our-services/resources/energy-cost-comparison/

Relatively cheap and very low CO2.

PS:  Aldi may still have some of those fans in stock.  Very cheap compared to the previous offerings.  Bigger is better.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/stove-fan/p/072454062316400

Edited by Harley

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Isn’t it a pain having to both source the wood and to clean the thing?  

Lots of companies to provide the wood in dumpy bags with a choice of hard or soft woods.

Cleaning not that onerous (get a vac) and the chimney sweep costs a lot less than a boiler service.

Only issue is having to keep feeding it, but hard woods make a big difference (last a lot longer).

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Isn’t it a pain having to both source the wood and to clean the thing?  

Easy to run a stove on smokeless fuel. Cleaning is only a rake of the fire then empty the ash pan into a fireproof container. Currently mine is on 24/7 and I just do the raking, emptying then refill twice a day and chuck some more on at night to keep it in. Well worth it IMO. But yes it is different from setting a thermostat or pressing a button.

I find it a nicer heat in my home in comparison to gas and electric. Probably not really cheaper but I get an extra kick because a long known local coalman gets my money.

1 minute ago, Harley said:

Lots of companies to provide the wood in dumpy bags with a choice of hard or soft woods.

Cleaning not that onerous (get a vac) and the chimney sweep costs a lot less than a boiler service.

Only issue is having to keep feeding it, but hard woods make a big difference (last a lot longer).

I’m about to have a new fire fitted and decided to go for a gas pretend multi fuel stove. Convince me I am wrong. 

1 minute ago, Van Lady said:

Easy to run a stove on smokeless fuel. Cleaning is only a rake of the fire then empty the ash pan into a fireproof container. Currently mine is on 24/7 and I just do the raking, emptying then refill twice a day and chuck some more on at night to keep it in. Well worth it IMO. But yes it is different from setting a thermostat or pressing a button.

I find it a nicer heat in my home in comparison to gas and electric. Probably not really cheaper but I get an extra kick because a long known local coalman gets my money.

What do you do for hot water? 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

I’m about to have a new fire fitted and decided to go for a gas pretend multi fuel stove. Convince me I am wrong. 

I wouldn’t try to convince anyone how to heat their home it’s a choice.

I also have a gas combi boiler that provides heating if desired and hot water on demand.

I wouldn’t try to convince anyone how to heat their home it’s a choice.

I also have a gas combi boiler that provides heating if desired and hot water on demand.

Ta. I’m very torn. On the one hand I love those stoves on the other, Will I come to resent all the bloody work?  

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

If it's mains gas then no way as it's the cheapest energy source (next is seasoned wood):

I use an oil combi!  Sometimes you just need the quick punch of the BTUs it gives, especially if the house has been empty with no heat (for say a weekend).

But water heating is a very small part of a household's typical energy costs so not really important. 

Space heating is key and backups are sensible (e.g. electricity cuts, run out of oil, theft, breakdowns, short of money, etc).

Edited by Harley

2 minutes ago, Harley said:

If it's mains gas then no way as it's the cheapest energy source (next is seasoned wood):

I use an oil combi!  Sometimes you just need the quick punch of the BTUs it gives, especially if the house has been empty with no heat (for say a weekend).

But water heating is a very small part of a household's typical energy costs so not really important.  Space heating is key.

Not sure I understand. Are you saying that gas or wood is cheaper?

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Ta. I’m very torn. On the one hand I love those stoves on the other, Will I come to resent all the bloody work?  

I got my stove installed when I moved to my current home. Son was working at a local fishery who also supplied logs. I was supplied with logs for the three years he worked there. I found it quite hard work dealing with the logs and constant refilling supplemented by a little amount of smokeless fuel.

When he changed jobs I opted for smokeless fuel when I was paying because IMO it’s better value. Much easier overall. Empty ash can twice a twice a day, refill and put a bit on to keep in over night. Refill my coal bucket once a day. It is some work though compared to gas or electric that only requires setting a control, pressing a button or turning a dial.

Just now, One percent said:

Per the list, mains gas is the cheapest, then wood.

The list takes into account not only the cost of each energy source, but allows for the differing amount of heat each energy source gives off.

It gives a single (penny) cost per KWh (kilowatt hour) per energy source so you can compare them (the smallest cost being the best).

Hence I say "mains gas" as bottled gas is silly money!

Capture.thumb.PNG.41fc2abab4f1b6dd6cc0594954f2179b.PNG

I got my stove installed when I moved to my current home. Son was working at a local fishery who also supplied logs. I was supplied with logs for the three years he worked there. I found it quite hard work dealing with the logs and constant refilling supplemented by a little amount of smokeless fuel.

When he changed jobs I opted for smokeless fuel when I was paying because IMO it’s better value. Much easier overall. Empty ash can twice a twice a day, refill and put a bit on to keep in over night. Refill my coal bucket once a day. It is some work though compared to gas or electric that only requires setting a control, pressing a button or turning a dial.

I think I’ll go for the push button option. xD

1 minute ago, Harley said:

Per the list, mains gas is the cheapest, then wood.

The list takes into account not only the cost of each energy source, but allows for the differing amount of heat each energy source gives off.

It gives a single (penny) cost per KWh (kilowatt hour) per energy source so you can compare them (the smallest cost being the best).

Hence I say "mains gas" as bottled gas is silly money!

Ta. Gas it is then. 

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

IMO all heating is expensive, some more than others.

I personally like giving the majority of my home heating money to a very nice local coal supplier who I’ve known for forty years and knew his father too until his death.

Just now, Van Lady said:

IMO all heating is expensive, some more than others.

I personally like giving the majority of my home heating money to a very nice local coal supplier who I’ve known for forty years and knew his father too until his death.

👍

26 minutes ago, Harley said:

I would not burn any treated wood (pallets) as they can give off toxic fumes.  Paint, etc also don't do the flues any good.

I believe most pallets are untreated. The only "treatment" the pallet wood receives is heating to kill bugs.

If I had the choice I'd use logs as:

1. It keeps money local.

2. No money goes to Saudi.

4 minutes ago, Harley said:

I moved into a house with old storage heaters and tore my hair out trying to decide what to replace them with until I saw this table.  I could compare running costs against capital installation and maintenance costs.  Oil or gas was pretty essential for a base system given the old nature of the house, even after insulation, and that I would not be there all the time.  Mains gas was not available so that meant oil which I was pleased to see was not that much more expensive.  It also ruled out LPG (given other issues as well as price).  It also made a log burner a no brainer.  I may also put in a small air source heat pump (ASHP) (air to air type) as another backup or indeed my only source where I only want to heat part of the house.  Not as cheap as a ground source to run but a cheaper install cost.  Only marginally more expensive than oil too.

15487959212114903291918508012862.jpg

I've got one in cream, they're great if you're feeling brave- they're not that hard to keep clean really.  Bonus: a dog. 

Be aware the costs aren't as cheap as people make out, and if you're burning pallets be mindful that you'll definitely need to get it sweeped once a year. 

Dirty, dangerous, inefficient horrible things, but people love them. Cracks me up when people have them installed in modern houses and can't run even tiny  little ones at correct temperature because it is too hot. If purchasing rather than gathering own fuel, anthracite in a closed multifuel burner is the best value for money. Find out the operating temperature and use the magnetic flue thermometer, otherwise it is just an expensive decoration / smoke machine. No to 'keeping the fire in' overnight with logs, it just makes a load of soot and smoke, but can be done with good coal. The kiln dried logs thing is load of bollocks, if not split and air dried for a few years, may as well burn green wood.

ETA stacking logs adjacent to the burner is a safety fail on the certificate that home insurers and conveyancers want from chimney sweeps

Edited by Caravan Monster