• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

how to stop people buying your product

3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Still using an iPhone 4. That was a cast off when I got it.

Apple haven't made much from me, but I appreciate the durability of their product.

I've still got a first gen iPad and an iPhone 4 and one thing that's noticeable is how solidly they are built and how well they last.

The newer ones are much flimsier and you'll be buying a new one when Apple deem it so - about two years after your most recent. 

The older stuff was great, the new gear looks nice but can't stand up to any punishment.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I've still got a first gen iPad and an iPhone 4 and one thing that's noticeable is how solidly they are built and how well they last.

The newer ones are much flimsier and you'll be buying a new one when Apple deem it so - about two years after your most recent. 

The older stuff was great, the new gear looks nice but can't stand up to any punishment.

Aye funny you mention that my tablet is an iPad 2, which I bought as a refurb from the apple store donkeys years ago. Works great, very solid, I've no need for anything else.

I've also got an old metal macbook that's in fine physical condition but I hate the OS....seems a shame to have it going to waste, might see if I can install linux on it or something....

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

What can you do on it?
Mine stopped working with youtube and then iplayer.

Most things strangely. I stopped updating it some time ago but YouTube still works and other than being a bit slow, it still does the job. 

Mrs H. was watching iPlayer on it up until about three weeks ago.

17 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Most things strangely. I stopped updating it some time ago but YouTube still works and other than being a bit slow, it still does the job. 

Mrs H. was watching iPlayer on it up until about three weeks ago.

Mine was unable to update anymore... and things all died one after the other.. I assume I made the error of an update at some point

There’s no way an iPad 2 works great anymore if you’ve updated it. Mine was barely functional years ago. 

Im on my 3rd iPad and they’ve all felt the same quality to me. 

Im happy buying newer iPads as they’re not expensive, £240 vs £800 phones. They’re noticeably quicker each time.

Edited by honkydonkey

12 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

There’s no way an iPad 2 works great anymore if you’ve updated it. Mine was barely functional years ago. 

Im happy buying newer iPads as they’re not expensive, £240 vs £800 phones. They’re noticeably quicker each time.

Are new ipads £240?

My Ipad air is quite a few years old, I update IOS fairly regularly and it's still working fine. 

I suspect Apple of putting stuff out there to force you to update IOS, as a few times, odd little glitches have been solved by the update. Thieving bastards.

Doubt if I'd ever get another Apple device though, despite it's relative longevity, the scam with the Lightning cables has irritated me quite a lot over the years and has cost quite a bit. 

17 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

My Ipad air is quite a few years old, I update IOS fairly regularly and it's still working fine. 

I suspect Apple of putting stuff out there to force you to update IOS, as a few times, odd little glitches have been solved by the update. Thieving bastards.

Doubt if I'd ever get another Apple device though, despite it's relative longevity, the scam with the Lightning cables has irritated me quite a lot over the years and has cost quite a bit. 

I know you’re not in the UK, but :

https://www.poundland.co.uk/sync-charge-cable-iphone-5-6

41 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

I use it for the Youtube app and web browsing. Works grand. IIRC Netflix is grand too. It's on an old OS which can't be updated any more.

13 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I know you’re not in the UK, but :

https://www.poundland.co.uk/sync-charge-cable-iphone-5-6

Well you never know, that one might work, but no cheap cable has ever lasted more than a few weeks and they're normally detected as being non Apple-approved and rejected immediately. 

59 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Well you never know, that one might work, but no cheap cable has ever lasted more than a few weeks and they're normally detected as being non Apple-approved and rejected immediately. 

I didn’t realise their devices were able to check whether cables were authentic or not. 

The ones I’ve bought from the pound shop have worked fine on my 5S and on the air and air 2 we have. I’ve only tested charging though, not syncing. 

Apple truly are arseholes, on a level above all others. 

1 minute ago, Carl Fimble said:

I didn’t realise their devices were able to check whether cables were authentic or not. 

The ones I’ve bought from the pound shop have worked fine on my 5S and on the air and air 2 we have. I’ve only tested charging though, not syncing. 

Apple truly are arseholes, on a level above all others. 

I use an extra long amazon own brand on my iPad (so I can keep it charged for the marathon posting sessions here). Works fine. I have a couple and neither has given any problems. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I use an extra long amazon own brand on my iPad (so I can keep it charged for the marathon posting sessions here). Works fine. I have a couple and neither has given any problems. 

I’ve got a long one too!

1 hour ago, honkydonkey said:

I've still got a 2 and works fine. Mind I jailbroke it so iOS hasn't been updated in maybe 4 years. 

My first, and only, iPhone was a 5, just as they moved to the lightning cable. Deliberately designed to be incompatible with everything, I have never had so much bother with a fucking charging cable. Looking at Apple's own web site, it was (is?) full of 1 star reviews showing just how shoddy a £15 cable can be.