• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Malthus

Idiots confess

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-02-01/major-dna-testing-company-is-sharing-genetic-data-with-the-fbi

The decision by a prominent consumer DNA-testing company to share data with federal law enforcement means investigators have access to genetic information linked to hundreds of millions of people.

Will the yanks have enough prisons ? 

Anyone done an ancestry check? 

1 minute ago, Malthus said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-02-01/major-dna-testing-company-is-sharing-genetic-data-with-the-fbi

The decision by a prominent consumer DNA-testing company to share data with federal law enforcement means investigators have access to genetic information linked to hundreds of millions of people.

Only 2% of a population need to have submitted their data in order for the authorities to be able to map almost all people if needed to (via relative mapping).

So you'd better not, for example, send a rude letter to your congressman having licked the stamp.

I hope nobody has been daft enough to waste their money upon such snake-oil nonsense.

Since all humans share the large majority of our DNA through far removed common ancestors, each of us has very little DNA that is directly inherited from a specific ancestor - even one who lived only a few generations ago.

The more steps you take up a family tree, the more negligible the DNA connection gets compared to the enormous amount we all share, and the less an ancestry test can reliably reveal.

Even genetic connections to historical ethnic groups like "Viking" or "Zulu" are vague. People's genetics do not reflect specific groups, since the high degree of genetic mixing over centuries means that even cultures with strong cultural boundaries do not have noticeable genetic differences.

People descended from more isolated populations, like the Scottish Highlands in the United Kingdom, have minor genetic differences from the general surrounding population, but they are not significant enough to identify a "Scottish gene" in an individual's genealogy.

"As a result, almost every Briton is a descendant of Viking hordes, Roman legions, African migrants, Indian Brahmins, or anyone else they fancy," said Jones.

If an ancestry test finds a connection between a particular sequence of your DNA and a specific, isolated tribal group, the only thing that can be concluded is a mere possibility that some of your ancestors were in that group.

https://www.medicaldaily.com/dna-ancestry-tests-are-meaningless-your-historical-genealogy-search-244586

4 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Only 2% of a population need to have submitted their data in order for the authorities to be able to map almost all people if needed to (via relative mapping).

So you'd better not, for example, send a rude letter to your congressman having licked the stamp.

Yup. IIRC one of these 70s california serial killers got nabbed by DNA tests. While im not a serial killer, it was enough to put me off getting a test done. The govt do afterall have a habit as reclassifying once innocuous activities as criminal as time passes. Sadly, my mother insisted she know her ancestry. to I guess im on there by default. 

I've actually thought of scooping up someones spittle and sending that in as mine instead. Throw the authorities off my scent!

I figure if we all send in someone elses spit, that pretty much F*cks up the stasi's little database.

1 minute ago, Malthus said:

Possibly one of the worst business moves ever giving your data to the fbi 

I mean't the product/service. Giving away personal data (assumed for money) is appalling.:S

32 minutes ago, MrPin said:

No worse, or better than  astrology.

I actually find astrological characterstics do tend to fit people pretty well; though I suspect that is down to the time of year and weather in their first few months of life when much of their character is formed.  Time of year correpsonds with the position of the stars so people made the leap to attributing the cause to the night skies that so Russell Grant wore a jacket with stars on it.

Russell-Grant2.jpg

1 minute ago, A_P said:

I saw this story when it came out and thought they must already be sharing the data.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/dj-murder-solved-dna-evidence-sister-raymond-rowe-christy-mirack-lancaster-pennsylvania-a8721051.html

This ancestry thing seems to be all the rage with females for some reason. Anyone know the reason why?

I think this goes back to the IQ distribution things.  Men and women have similar average IQ but women are far more clustered around the average than men who have some right thick'eads but also some right knowalls.

Total thickeads aren't going to be interested, right knowalls will see it for the worthless charlatan chicanery that it actually is, but those in the middle are bright enough to be curious but not bright enough to see through it.

Ergo more women than men will be signing up.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I actually find astrological characterstics do tend to fit people pretty well; though I suspect that is down to the time of year and weather in their first few months of life when much of their character is formed.  Time of year correpsonds with the position of the stars so people made the leap to attributing the cause to the night skies that so Russell Grant wore a jacket with stars on it.

I suspect that is all it is.

39 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I hope nobody has been daft enough to waste their money upon such snake-oil nonsense.

https://www.medicaldaily.com/dna-ancestry-tests-are-meaningless-your-historical-genealogy-search-244586

It’s laughable really. Because of the way DNA recombines at each fertilisation siblings who (genuinely) share identical lineages will often have quite different “ancestry” according to this type of analysis. What a joke.

13 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

It’s laughable really. Because of the way DNA recombines at each fertilisation siblings who (genuinely) share identical lineages will often have quite different “ancestry” according to this type of analysis. What a joke.

It sounds like any data given away (sold) might not be useful anyway?xD

46 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Russell-Grant2.jpg

There's also the 'school effect' -- were you old for your year or young, etc.

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

No way. Instead I'm investing in my and my next generations future by getting planets named after me. I now own loads of real estate that could be developed. Probably.

5 hours ago, Malthus said:

Is it illegal?

Have you looked at the TsnCs?

4 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

This.

Bar use for immediate or connected dna, trying to link dna to relatuves or continents i useless