• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

When you get into bed with multinational corporations, expect to be screwed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-47102708

Nissan is expected to announce that it is cancelling a planned investment at its plant in Sunderland.

In 2016 the car maker said it would build the X-Trail SUV in Sunderland after receiving "assurances" from the government over Brexit.

The company is expected to say investment will be now be pulled, rather than existing work being halted.

we need to rebuild our own industrial base post Brexit. That is all 

Just now, billfunk said:

Another reason to have a 0% corporation tax. What would their excuse be then?

We need to copy the Chinese and, er, copy everything and produce our own. That way, the profits aren’t skimmed off to foreign investors. 

28 minutes ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

Might not be to do with brexit though.  They might just be concluding the time for £30K motors has gone over the horizon with easy credit.

As of last week there are no longer tariffs on cars imported into the EU from Japan. That combined with the fact that Diesel sales are falling faster than a stone has I suspect a lot more to do with this than Brexit - after all why spend £100m moving a plant around the world if sales don't exist to justify spending £100m. 

The global car market is fucked right now, this has nothing to do with Brexit although you can be sure that they'll claim it is. It's a lot easier to say "not my problem, it was Brexit what done it" than "we messed up our strategy so now we need to cut back rapidly to avoid going tits-up". Oh, and Carlos Ghosn.

11 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

The global car market is fucked right now, this has nothing to do with Brexit although you can be sure that they'll claim it is. It's a lot easier to say "not my problem, it was Brexit what done it" than "we messed up our strategy so now we need to cut back rapidly to avoid going tits-up". Oh, and Carlos Ghosn.

This.

Brexit is an amazing opportunity to do unpopular things and have someone else take ALL the blame.  I've seen businesses plan for redundancies which were long in coming, and now tied into Brexit.  The headcount reductions would have happened anyway - but now the scapegoat of thicko leave voters is available

3 minutes ago, wherebee said:

This.

Brexit is an amazing opportunity to do unpopular things and have someone else take ALL the blame.  I've seen businesses plan for redundancies which were long in coming, and now tied into Brexit.  The headcount reductions would have happened anyway - but now the scapegoat of thicko leave voters is available

👍

5 minutes ago, wherebee said:

This.

Quite.  it is to do with Brexit, but it isn't caused by Brexit.

5 minutes ago, wherebee said:

This.

I remember a company I used to work for used the 2008 financial crash to get rid of a load of employees that were under-performing and/or were unpopular.

Laid a load of with minimal severance because of the 'economy' and within a couple of years replaced them all with cheap graduates. 

Yes this is absolutely nothing to do with Brexit. The Japanese manufacturers have lots of spare capacity in Japan and have been shifting production back to Japan recently. Two models (Nissan or Toyota, I forget) are being shifted from Canada and Mexico back home. The new EU-Japan deal will accelerate this. The EU had better prepare itself for plant closures and thousands of job losses.

12 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Yes this is absolutely nothing to do with Brexit. The Japanese manufacturers have lots of spare capacity in Japan and have been shifting production back to Japan recently. Two models (Nissan or Toyota, I forget) are being shifted from Canada and Mexico back home. The new EU-Japan deal will accelerate this. The EU had better prepare itself for plant closures and thousands of job losses.

Interesting. So, when they move, we could take over the plant, slap on import duties and make our own. 

British Leyland MII. 👍

3 hours ago, One percent said:

We need to copy the Chinese and, er, copy everything and produce our own. That way, the profits aren’t skimmed off to foreign investors. 

Have you seen chinese cars?

2 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

I think whatever badly shunted companues make up the Nissan family will spend the next few years destroying each other rather than making cars.

Buy a Honda....

20 minutes ago, spunko said:

Chinese cars will rule the world by 2030. Everyone sniggered at Japanese cars at first,  then Korean cars, well they're not laughing now. 

Cheap Chinese electric cars more specifically. I think the likes of BMW, Mercedes etc will keep hold of the high end market though.