DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sealing a painted radiator

spunko

Question

I have painted a radiator in a dark colour, undercoated and applied two top coats. It looks good, but it stratches easily , even running a finger nail along it will bring the paint off. Does anyone know how I can 'seal' it to reduce the risk of this happening, are there such things available? I don't want it to be glossy.

6 answers to this question

A car paint lacquer spray should do the job well - available in matt finish.  Halfords have their own brand, Hycote is pretty good stuff. Whatever you go for would try a test piece on a scrap of metal with base paint and top cost first to see if adhesion is good and that the paint does not react in any way and provides the finish you want as even matt enamel/laquer probably won't look quite as dull as the raw paint.

Long time lurking

You have a soft paint probably oil based it will harden with time, heat may help speed up the process

I would avoid punting anything else over it until it fully hardens  

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

I have painted a radiator in a dark colour, undercoated and applied two top coats. It looks good, but it stratches easily , even running a finger nail along it will bring the paint off. Does anyone know how I can 'seal' it to reduce the risk of this happening, are there such things available? I don't want it to be glossy.

I’ve used this stuff in a satin finish. Homebase used to do it but I can’t find it on their site. Paint it on, turn the radiator up to high and it bakes it rock hard 

https://www.brooklyntrading.co.uk/products/international-quick-drying-radiator-gloss-enamel-primer-paint-500ml

3 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

You have a soft paint probably oil based it will harden with time, heat may help speed up the process

I would avoid punting anything else over it until it fully hardens  

Yes you need to make sure paint is fully hardened, but being on radiators  the paint will fully cure so much quicker than under normal circumstances due to the heat if already attached to CH system.

Archived