• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Snark

Someones going to get the sack at the So-Called BBC....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3Tk2LpLg755Js0LQF7t3TQ2/the-finalists

I didn't watch it, I asked the missus what channel it was on and when she told me it was the beeb, I said "I already know who wins it's, it'll be the black/Asian person, preferably female".

Turns out the winner wasn't black or Asian or female, I think someone at the So-Called BBC is going to get sacked :p

15 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

Pointless exercise apart... Turing's a worthy winner, plus ticks the LBLTQZX box.

Turing was a mathematicians not a scientist.

I always put them in very different boxes.

Science is more empirical, practical.

Purer end of maths disappears up its arsehole quickly.

What a pointless exercise -- the vast majority of the respondents don't have a clue and the information given to them was flawed (in a 'look at the past through the lens of the current' point of view)

[Not just for Turing -- pretty much for all of the candidates]

8 minutes ago, dgul said:

What a pointless exercise -- the vast majority of the respondents don't have a clue and the information given to them was flawed (in a 'look at the past through the lens of the current' point of view)

Perhaps they thought that they were giving the award to Benedict Cumbernatch and his feisty female assistant who won WW2 for us because they were right on about women's rights?

9 minutes ago, dgul said:

Exactly.

It's like the winner of the greatest book of the twentieth century being The Lord of the Rings.

Now I like TLOTR; it's an excellent book and one that I would have liked to have written myself because it describes (silly names, dragons, magic and odd human variants aside) excellently how I envisage the 5th century in Britain.

It is not however great literature.  It is really a book for people who aren't great readers.

The public perception of scientists is similar in that they recognise people for things that aren't science.  Ask the man on the Clapham Omnibus (with a tommy gun) to name three great British scientists of the last hundred years and they will come out with:

• Stephen Hawking - because of the crippling disease
  • Alan Turing - because they were persecuted for homosexuality
  • Brian Cox - because he was in a pop band

Not one of them is being selected for their scientfic achievements but rather for the non-science aspects of their lives; because people in general do not understand science (see the DNA testing thread and any climate change debate).

(I freely admit that they are all many times better mathematicians than me, well maybe not Coxy, but I am not their measure; it is their peers).

8 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

• Stephen Hawking - because of the crippling disease
  •  

Stephen Hawkwind, a bloke known for blethering about stuff he knew very little about. Ideal Dosbods material I would say. Although he never had any trouble with the burds.

Edited by Dave Bloke

10 hours ago, maynardgravy said:

Pointless exercise apart... Turing's a worthy winner, plus ticks the LBLTQZX box.

The culture of a personality cult isn't helpful to politics. I'd say it's not just pointless, it's nefarious.

No surprise really that the winner was a white middle class homosexual as that is who runs the So-Called BBC.

For all the guff about the changing nature of British society the prize went to a man whose background was classic British establishment (ie father serving in the British Imperial administration of India, grandfather a clergyman , Oxbridge academic etc).

Needless to say no votes for Tommy Flowers the man who actually physically built Colossus and made the fucking thing work. But  Flowers father was a bricklayer from Poplar in East London so as a member of the white working class he did not even make the starting line in this ludicrous competition.

Edited by Virgil Caine

Just fodder to fill the 24/7 programming requirements.

An iconic person is a personal and subjective view. I’ve met a handful throughout my life but none are widely known although I do admire some well known people who have lead interesting lives and contributed to humanity for a variety of reasons.

I didn’t watch the programme because it’s just like the stupid, IMO, acting awards etc stuff. 

Why would anyone at the So-Called BBC get the sack for the 6 winners below ? They will probably get a fucking medal :Old:

A persecuted gay man.

A black man who made numerous anti white statements and converted to Islam even changing his name to Mohamed.

A communist.

A black rights activist.

A persecuted and jailed black activist - who was also a terrorist but that's fine let's just forget about that. 

A self confessed closet heterosexual, bisexual and gay androgynous man.

Shackleton must have only made it in there as the token straight "normal" white bloke. xD