• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Dave Bloke

Can the govt. track your car?

A bloke at work was telling me that all new cars come with a cellphone link and GPS (whether you have GPS or not) and the govt can track exactly where your car is all the time. Apparently it is some EU wide requirement.

Is this #fakenews?

no EU requirement. If you crash the car will ask if you're ok if you don't respond then it'll ring 999.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/cars-automatic-999-alert-saved-schoolboys-life-after-crash-882616.html

Since April this year, the eCall system has been compulsory in all new cars in the EU. It calls the 112 emergency number if an airbag is deployed.

There's another big brother eu thing coming in soon - your tyre pressure will be sent to the manufacturer digitally. Think it's called TPS or something. So they plus presumably insurers etc will know if your tyres are under inflated..  

I know some drunk driver in Ulster crashed his car, and it automatically called emergency services for him. Nothing special, a newish fiesta IIRC. Thanks to that gadget, he got done for drunk driving when he might have got away with it otherwise. 

Not sure about all cars, or if its a legal requirement, but most of them seem to do this now. 

Yep. The EU is a totalitarian state and as such needs to know (if required) where every dissident is.

From 2015:-  https://www.driving.co.uk/news/how-your-cars-gadgets-can-be-used-to-track-your-movements/

EU black boxes

'The EU is working on proposals to install mandatory black boxes in every new car in Europe, constantly monitoring speed, steering angle and braking. If an accident is detected, the box stores all the information from up to 45 seconds before a crash and 30 seconds afterwards.

In addition, last year Interpol told Driving that some of its 190 member police forces use the eCall emergency call system to track suspects. The system, already fitted to some luxury cars, automatically connects drivers to a call centre to notify it of a vehicle’s location after a crash. It can also act as a tracker and be activated remotely. The EU plans to make it mandatory in all new cars from 2018, meaning police would be able to locate every new car on the road.'

You know those unique IDs that identify your car (AKA number plates), then you personally through the DVLA?

We're all tracked in real time, across the UK: https://anon.to/chQbeF

edit: anonymised link to [Google] UK ANPR Map

They're just some cameras that some randoms have submitted to some database. So many local council car parks have ANPR now, too. On what basis do they share this data with national gubbermint?

Edited by HighYield

7 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

The EU plans to make it mandatory in all new cars from 2018, meaning police would be able to locate every new car on the road.'

Glad I'm a born again biker, FREEDOM!

please dont' tell me it's being fitted to bikes also?

The fucking things are as small as this, if your car has a digital radio fitted and one of those teeny weeny aerials it probably has one of these modules and can 1) track you, 2 ) eavesdrop on you via the radio and may even be able to see you and where you are going if you have a particularly high specced car (safety features).

132845337_ecallbooster.jpg.066aa33d2c4f713762c9a513307bdcca.jpg

45 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

The fucking things are as small as this, if your car has a digital radio fitted and one of those teeny weeny aerials it probably has one of these modules and can 1) track you, 2 ) eavesdrop on you via the radio and may even be able to see you and where you are going if you have a particularly high specced car (safety features).

132845337_ecallbooster.jpg.066aa33d2c4f713762c9a513307bdcca.jpg

How does this unit transmit the data (GPS coordinates?) - I'd guess over mobile phone networks with a SIM card?

To whom is the GPS data sent? To the car manufacturers?

Are they obliged to share this data with the gubbermint, as surely FB et al do?

edit: If these devices send data to the car manufacturers, who then share it with a 3rd party without consent.... how is this OK under GDPR?

2nd edit: guessing it's 'OK' under GDPR law enforcement opt outs

Edited by HighYield

Satnavs also have them ,but it could just be connected to the cars ,i drove a brand new Citroen beliongo a week or so ago i tried to enter an address into the satnav ,a message appeared on the screen do you want to activate your smart satnav i press yes ,a ringtone come over the stereo speakers then someone asked do you want to set up your satnav ....it got a bit surreal after that 

5 minutes ago, HighYield said:

How does this unit transmit the data (GPS coordinates?) - I'd guess over mobile phone networks with a SIM card?

To whom is the GPS data sent? To the car manufacturers?

Are they obliged to share this data with the gubbermint, as surely FB et al do?

edit: If these devices send data to the car manufacturers, who then share it with a 3rd party without consent.... how is this OK under GDPR?

Yip that`s how they do it all cars 2018 > have them 

3 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Yip that`s how they do it all cars 2018 > have them 

So all the data is sent to car manufacturers over mobile networks, I'm guessing? They must be proprietary, at least in the sense that the manufacturers code the OEM equipment with the manufacturer's phone number - to which all the GPS data is sent.

So, does it then depend on the manufacturer's agreements re: data sharing with all the national governments - as to where our locational data ends up?

Do all car manufacturers with these trackers share all locational information with all the relevant governments? It's very believable that they can be compelled to do so - but in reality, we have a government that hasn't a clue how many people actually live in the UK - tracking this kind of thing must be surely logistically beyond our government - although legally possible. At least for the time being.

Any terrorist, drug dealer or cup cake deliverer worth their while will surely just cut out the module. There'll be youtube instructionals, I'd imagine.

2 minutes ago, HighYield said:

So all the data is sent to car manufacturers over mobile networks, I'm guessing? They must be proprietary, at least in the sense that the manufacturers code the OEM equipment with the manufacturer's phone number - to which all the GPS data is sent.

So, does it then depend on the manufacturer's agreements re: data sharing with all the national governments - as to where our locational data ends up?

Do all car manufacturers with these trackers share all locational information with all the relevant governments? It's very believable that they can be compelled to do so - but in reality, we have a government that hasn't a clue how many people actually live in the UK - tracking this kind of thing must be surely logistically beyond our government - although legally possible. At least for the time being.

Any terrorist, drug dealer or cup cake deliverer worth their while will surely just cut out the module. There'll be youtube instructionals, I'd imagine.

As it is a EU mandated 'Safety Feature' cutting the wires would technically invalidate your insurance and therefore be illegal.

As you say, monitoring every car all of the time would be pointlessly difficult at the moment but like mobile phones they have the facility to activate tracking should they so desire.

The net result is the same as having your phone in your pocket and most people forget about that.

p.s. I'm convinced that a device (laptop, pc, phone etc) is listening to my conversations at work with colleagues as we have some bizarre conversations one drifted on to Japanese Microvans via classic cars Honda S800, Suzuki Cappucino and when I got home a video was suggested on YouTube showing a 1960s two stroke engined Subaru Sambar, a car I had never heard of.

I have noticed this quite a few times over the last 2 months or so.

14 minutes ago, HighYield said:

I`m not sure ,the so called reason for them is to alert the emergency service if you have a crash ,they must be connected to the vehicles inertia switch what else they can do is anyone's guess