• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Roadworks

They have been all over the place for the last three months.

Whilst I am glad that they are improving the roads, the works are either resurfacing, side strengthening, or widening, I am slightly exasperated that they are all suddenly happening at once as though there has been a big release of money.

53 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

It's not got the two sets of roadworks outside my house, and the road closure/diversion a mile up the road...

I hate the way government annuality results in inefficient scheduling of resources like this...  When I was working in government I always know that in February there'd be an 'underspend' call for things to spend money on so that they'd reach year-end on budget.

The roadworks on the M6 are frankly taking the piss now. It's been what, four years so far? And I've yet to see more than five guys actually doing any work on the twelve mile, speed limited stretch. It's nowhere near finished.

I was watching a program about the tube a while ago and the chap who was in charge of fixing stuff proudly stated that if something went wrong then they'd get a team of a few hundred lads together to work through the night to have it sorted in the morning. No messing, just get the job done. 

So why the blue fuck don't they do that with the M6?

Edited by Sgt Hartman

M5 and M1 an all. 

In fact aren't all motorways supposed to be upgraded with this new 'smart motorway' variable speed system? 

You know a bit like when BT finally finished the infrastructure for ISDN when broadband came along?

1 hour ago, Thombleached said:

M5 and M1 an all. 

In fact aren't all motorways supposed to be upgraded with this new 'smart motorway' variable speed system? 

You know a bit like when BT finally finished the infrastructure for ISDN when broadband came along?

The M3 around junction 3 has that variable speed system. You can be either crawling along or totally bloody parked.

1 hour ago, Sgt Hartman said:

The roadworks on the M6 are frankly taking the piss now. It's been what, four years so far? And I've yet to see more than five guys actually doing any work on the twelve mile, speed limited stretch. It's nowhere near finished.

I was watching a program about the tube a while ago and the chap who was in charge of fixing stuff proudly stated that if something went wrong then they'd get a team of a few hundred lads together to work through the night to have it sorted in the morning. No messing, just get the job done. 

Know that stretch through Cheshire well,  most of the blokes at work have had speeding tickets going through it. I guess the answer is to keep the cost of doing it as low as effin possible whilst maximising the inconvenience to those who pay for it but have no say in how the money is spent.

I know its a long stretch but works elsewhere like the M56 and A483 in Wales are done at night after 8pm and in shorter, managed, sections.

5 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

They do that in Europe. 

You're obviously on a busy stretch with 5 guys, I usually don't see any.

13 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Know that stretch through Cheshire well,  most of the blokes at work have had speeding tickets going through it. I guess the answer is to keep the cost of doing it as low as effin possible whilst maximising the inconvenience to those who pay for it but have no say in how the money is spent.

I know its a long stretch but works elsewhere like the M56 and A483 in Wales are done at night after 8pm and in shorter, managed, sections.

Cost I guess.

To be fair to Highways on smaller stretches (anything up to three miles IME) they usually do it as limited closures at night but in one odd one near me between 9am and 4.30pm.

The exception are the massive works such the dualling of the A30 over Bodmin Moor (will be finished July and looks on schedule) where it's going to be too costly to do them piecemeal so it's been permanently restricted for two years and in most stretches nobody is working.

16 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

The M3 around junction 3 has that variable speed system. You can be either crawling along or totally bloody parked.

I've worked out that (having not yet received a ticket) that if it says 50, you can safely do 60.

This is not advice though.

Swansea City Council Highways Dept have, IMPO, perfected the add of the continual roadworks. If they could export it then they would be in demand the world over.

A recent, but currently ongoing, series of roadworks not far from me proceeded to gridlock the entire area with reprecussions spreading out. When you hear young children point out that it was a stupid idea to do so many at the same time you do truly wonder why paid adults could not see the same.

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Swansea City Council Highways Dept have, IMPO, perfected the add of the continual roadworks. If they could export it then they would be in demand the world over.

A recent, but currently ongoing, series of roadworks not far from me proceeded to gridlock the entire area with reprecussions spreading out. When you hear young children point out that it was a stupid idea to do so many at the same time you do truly wonder why paid adults could not see the same.

Because if they didn't roll it out continuously throughout the year, there'd be no reason for someone to "manage" the roll-out. Just more jobs for the boys at the council. 

17 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

I've worked out that (having not yet received a ticket) that if it says 50, you can safely do 60.

That's on the one day of the month there isn't a crash / breakdown.

Otherwise you are lucky to be doing 5, maybe 6.

When I see roadworks, I park somewhere I like, put on a hi-viz and walk around with a clipboard! People think I am in charge, and I have never been challenged!O.o

3 hours ago, Thombleached said:

Why try to second-guess the system?  If it says 50 just do 50 -- it'll have precious little effect on the journey time.