• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carl Fimble

I need a hero, I'm holding out for a hero to snap the end off of the knife

10 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Top bloke. 

That he's leapt over a bonnet, disarmed the knifeman and pinned him down yet has the bored expression of somebody looking out of a bus window says he's something special.

blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
:)
That's what his expression is saying. 

5 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
:)
That's what his expression is saying. 

:D

I deliberately didn't quote that because it sounds so unimpressive similar to when twelve year olds are awarded black belts in taekwondo.

It's given for repeating particular kata rather than for fighting ability and is going to be as much help in a proper fight as being able to do a perfect tango; that guy however clearly has the fighting ability.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

:D

I deliberately didn't quite that because it sounds so unimpressive similar to when twelve year olds are awarded black belts in taekwondo.

It's given for repeating particular kata rather than for fighting ability and is going to be as much help in a proper fight as being able to do a perfect Tango; that guy however clearly has the fighting ability.

BJJ is founded on the concept that a smaller, weaker person can successfully defend themselves against a bigger, stronger, heavier opponent. This is done by using technique, leverage, and most notably, taking the fight to the ground, and then applying joint locks and chokeholds to defeat the opponent. BJJ training can be used for sport grappling tournaments and in self-defense situations

It sounds useful! 

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

BJJ is founded on the concept that a smaller, weaker person can successfully defend themselves against a bigger, stronger, heavier opponent. This is done by using technique, leverage, and most notably, taking the fight to the ground, and then applying joint locks and chokeholds to defeat the opponent. BJJ training can be used for sport grappling tournaments and in self-defense situations

It sounds useful! 

Useful yes, but strength, size, and determination are what will actually win you the fight.

I like martial arts and have been looking at taking one up again but the only martial art that will actually give you a massive edge in a fight is IMHO boxing.  Which I won't be doing as I don't want somebody hitting me in the face for half an hour.  Bruce Lee was one of my heroes as a kid doing kung fu but I don't think he would have lasted five minutes against Mike Tyson in a no rules fight.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Useful yes, but strength, size, and determination are what will actually win you the fight.

I like martial arts and have been looking at taking one up again but the only martial art that will actually give you a massive edge in a fight is IMHO boxing.  Which I won't be doing as I don't want somebody hitting me in the face for half an hour.  Bruce Lee was one of my heroes as a kid doing kung fu but I don't think he would have lasted five minutes against Mike Tyson in a no rules fight.

Running is a useful defence if attacked.

You're right size and weight are important factors, although a smaller lighter person with ability and training can overcome a heavier opponent. Martial art training does consist of set routines and defences against set attacks. I was watching a youtube video of a Singaporean martial art exponent demonstrating how difficult it was to react when being attacked. He asked his assistant to raise a finger when he saw him move, each time the attack got through before the assistant could react by raising his finger. There was no speed in the attack, just putting his arm out.  Try it.

Having said that most fights start with a lot of posturing and verbal threats. Generally an inexperienced fighter will try and hit your head so an instinctive block often works. 

5 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Running is a useful defence if attacked.

You're right size and weight are important factors, although a smaller lighter person with ability and training can overcome a heavier opponent. Martial art training does consist of set routines and defences against set attacks. I was watching a youtube video of a Singaporean martial art exponent demonstrating how difficult it was to react when being attacked. He asked his assistant to raise a finger when he saw him move, each time the attack got through before the assistant could react by raising his finger. There was no speed in the attack, just putting his arm out.  Try it.

Having said that most fights start with a lot of posturing and verbal threats. Generally an inexperienced fighter will try and hit your head so an instinctive block often works. 

The advantage I see in learning martial arts is that it brings confidence and an element of surprise.  So if somebody jumps you then unlike somebody without that training you can instinctively block, hit or kick.  And then you should run.

I was shading this away from martial arts training being an advantage in a prolonged fight where its generally going to go to ground grappling pretty quickly and then all the moves that require you to be in a relaxed stance, legs apart, facing your opponent are null and void.  When I have seen proper fighting like MMA it rapidly becomes very dull to watch as it's two blokes grappling on the ground whilst trying to get an arm free so that they can punch the other; that is however the reality of a prolonged fight.

Some martial arts are more practical than others, I think Brazilian Ju Jitsu is one of them. Years ago I did Lau Kung Fu, very streetfighter, which seems to have given rise to Kickboxing!

One benefit of martial arts training is physical  contact.

Many people freeze after being punched hard or even slapped.

Many fights in town are over quickly, posturing until a blow connects, then walk away.

The regulars fighting tactic is try to land punches, wrestle to ground asap, sit on them whilst strangling, and clubbing around the ears. Then walk away.

You won't generally see eye gouging, ear or nose biting, or stabbing, unless it's close family.

3 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

FTFY.

We have a large pikey community.

Everybody knows the two 'pikey pubs'. Both pubs allow dogs so that rules out Spoons.

Contrary to popular belief there is rarely any trouble at these pubs. You rarely see pikeys in other town pubs, they don't seem to eat kebabs, or take taxis. All the usual flashpoints don't apply.

Pikeys mostly fight each other at weddings, funerals, and after horse racing meetings. 

Most town fights are 17 to 30 year olds on High Street. Pikeys go straight through most. It's not unusual to see an older pikey, dressed in 3 piece suit, with waistcoat, arm clips on shirt sleeves, bright red ruddy face, strawberry nose, large rough hands, and scally cap, breaking up fights between lads.

By himself.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Top bloke. 

That he's leapt over a bonnet, disarmed the knifeman and pinned him down yet has the bored expression of somebody looking out of a bus window says he's something special.

Nice to know we still have a few in the UK, sometimes you would believe we don't. Quiet men of action, the rank-and-file of things like Operation Frankton in WW2.

47 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

jan 2017, what happened to this hero ?

Presumably nothing.  How many times have you encountered somebody waving a knife?

Once in my case, a fleeing mugger, and I also tackled him though not as successfully as Kev as he got away.

Just now, Sgt Hartman said:

Fair play.

I'd be very wary of someone with a knife and unless someone was in imminent danger or there was something large and heavy I could throw or clobber them with, I'd probably leave them to it.

A supersonic kick to the sack would probably have a desired effect however you'd want to make sure your aim was on the money otherwise you're probably going to be the next target.

He'd caught my eye when I walked past him as being dodgy.  I carried on round the corner then I heard a young girl screaming and he comes belting round the corner holding a knife.

It was a steep downhill and he was coming at pace; I went for him but he managed to squeeze between me and a parked car because of his momentum.  He dropped most of what he'd stolen in squeezing past including his knife which cut me across the knuckles.

I was breathing hard afterwards!

From a quick search it seems Mr Talor is also an ex-army medic.  The search didn't come up with any news on bravery awards or on the identity of the attacker.  Although the police did apparently compliment him for his action.

1 hour ago, twocents said:

From a quick search it seems Mr Talor is also an ex-army medic.  The search didn't come up with any news on bravery awards or on the identity of the attacker.  Although the police did apparently compliment him for his action.

I suspect we would never have heard the end of it if Kev hadn’t been white. 

6 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

One benefit of martial arts training is physical  contact.

Many people freeze after being punched hard or even slapped.

Many fights in town are over quickly, posturing until a blow connects, then walk away.

The regulars fighting tactic is try to land punches, wrestle to ground asap, sit on them whilst strangling, and clubbing around the ears. Then walk away.

You won't generally see eye gouging, ear or nose biting, or stabbing, unless it's close family.

Agreed. I don't see the point of doing any type of martial arts training if you don't at least occasionally leave the gym thinking fuck that was a sore one to the jaw or similar. 

It's also confidence and ability to relax.

With just two years basic boxing experience I would be pretty chilled if someone (Non fighter) just started swinging at me.

Instantly into position, hands up, light on toes - just the basics really. If they didn't know what they were doing I think I could quite easily give them a quick controlled smack on the nose to speed up their voluntary exit. 

Without that training ? I'd be shitting myself and swinging my arms around off balance like a useless maniac. See any YouTube of pavement dancing to see what it looks like. :D

Hopefully I don't get a chance to try this out for real but if I do I will let the dosbods massive know how it turned out. 

Only few times I've been hit out and about they did it out of the blue then ran away. So wouldn't have made any difference anyway. xD

I do feel a bit tougher though - and that would probably come across in attitude and the eyes. Possibly even better for self defence. A look saying very clearly - don't even bother. 

7 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

May I suggest looking at the various Philippino Martial Arts, or Krav Maga.

19 minutes ago, ccc said:

Agreed. I don't see the point of doing any type of martial arts training if you don't at least occasionally leave the gym thinking fuck that was a sore one to the jaw or similar. 

It's also confidence and ability to relax.

With just two years basic boxing experience I would be pretty chilled if someone (Non fighter) just started swinging at me.

Instantly into position, hands up, light on toes - just the basics really. If they didn't know what they were doing I think I could quite easily give them a quick controlled smack on the nose to speed up their voluntary exit. 

Without that training ? I'd be shitting myself and swinging my arms around off balance like a useless maniac. See any YouTube of pavement dancing to see what it looks like. :D

Hopefully I don't get a chance to try this out for real but if I do I will let the dosbods massive know how it turned out. 

Only few times I've been hit out and about they did it out of the blue then ran away. So wouldn't have made any difference anyway. xD

I do feel a bit tougher though - and that would probably come across in attitude and the eyes. Possibly even better for self defence. A look saying very clearly - don't even bother. 

• Similar Content

• By One percent
      As per title, from albeeb 
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39587853
      An eight-year old boy in Ohio safely drove his little sister to McDonald's after learning to drive from YouTube, local news report.
      Ohio's Morning Journal said police received calls from residents about a child driving through town.
      Staff at the restaurant thought they were the victims of a prank when the underage pair stopped at the drive-through window, the paper added.
      The boy obeyed all traffic lights and laws, witnesses said.
      "He didn't hit a single thing on the way there. It was unreal," police officer Jacob Koehler, from the village of East Palestine, said.
      The child told police he had learned to drive by watching YouTube videos.
      The boy drove 1.5 miles (2.4km), covering four intersections, railway tracks, and several turns, Mr Koehler told Cleveland news outlet Fox8.
      The children's parents were asleep at home, reports said, when the siblings decided to take the vehicle keys.
      The two children got cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets while they waited to be picked up by family. No charges were filed.

he will go far with that level of initiate at 8.