• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

InLikeFlynn

Radio 4 audience falls.

I listen to radio 4 A LOT in the background. Some of it has to be heard to be believed. I can't even put listening to wimmins hour on the "know your enemy" list any more - it is so unutterably bad that my blood pressure can't take it. I still like some of the content but some of it.......really you couldn't make it up. I encourage all dosboders to listen to some of it.

8 minutes ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Looks like Radio 4s ill-advised conversion to a diversity theme park has not gone down well with its largely white middle class audience:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/feb/07/bbc-radio-4-sheds-750000-listeners-in-year-rajar-figures-commercial-rivals

I'm one of the 750,000.

I barely listen to the radio anymore myself. I prefer to download livestreams from the previous night off of youtube, put that on the phone and listen to that.

If anything classic fm for some good music.

That's a lot.

Figures for the final three months of 2018 show the So-Called BBC’s flagship news and current affairs station reached 10.5 million Britons a week, down 750,000 on the same period last year

They have done it to themselves though.  I noted the rare exceptions on another thread (about three programmes).

What galls me is that they have even managed to wreck a format as robust as I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.  That was consistently superb for forty years and even survived the late Jeremy "twat" Hardy because he had to just do his bit as part of a team and otherwise shut up; no nasty SJW rants allowed.

Yet I listened to it a few months ago and it was awful.  It had been "BBCed" with all the usual nonsense (Trump, Brexit) from the usual BBC seat moisteners replacing the previous sharp as a tack regulars.  I turned it off and didn't bother again.  And I've been to six live recordings (three shows) and the live show a couple of years ago; and still have the kazoo. 

It turns out that that tour was its swansong.

5 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Yeah its down the the Radflix effect.

Yup, the explanation given is that there is increased competition from commercial radio. Bollocks. There's nothing close to R4 on commercial radio.  It sounds as though no one will admit that the audience is thoroughly sick of the diet of mawkish and sentimental stories on the theme of  "my struggle against the establishment" which R4 serves up.

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

I listen to radio 4 A LOT in the background. Some of it has to be heard to be believed. I can't even put listening to wimmins hour on the "know your enemy" list any more - it is so unutterably bad that my blood pressure can't take it. I still like some of the content but some of it.......really you couldn't make it up. I encourage all dosboders to listen to some of it.

Wimmins hour is indeed the biggest heap of shite - I freely admit that I'm not the target audience but I've yet to find a woman who listens to it.  It's also based on the outdated and sexist assumption that women are at home listening to the radio whilst their partners are out working.  Everything on the programme is a whinge against the evil (white) patriarchy...

1 minute ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Wimmins hour is indeed the biggest heap of shite - I freely admit that I'm not the target audience but I've yet to find a woman who listens to it.  It's also based on the outdated and sexist assumption that women are at home listening to the radio whilst their partners are out working.  Everything on the programme is a whinge against the evil (white) patriarchy...

It was also, back in the day when I used to listen to it because I was listening to Radio 4 through the morning, the home of the absolute worst spoken word serials ever after the chat; 10:45 - 11:00 five days a week.

There are many many great female writers; absolutely no question.  Yet they ignored all of these and put on newly commissioned tosh with ludcirously painted male characters and strong "wimmin" characters; it all felt like it had been written by a OU gender studies course as a summer project.

I am(was) a great radio 4 listener. I listen much less now than I used to and more often to plays than anything else now. I also made a New Year resolution to stop listening to James O'Brien on LBC. I used to listen every day and saw it more of "keeping an eye on the enemy" than anything else. I have not listened this year and will continue to avoid.

21 minutes ago, No One said:

I barely listen to the radio anymore myself. I prefer to download livestreams from the previous night off of youtube, put that on the phone and listen to that.

If anything classic fm for some good music.

It's starting to creep in there as well though. 'Isn't this piece by a female composer, played by an all female orchestra and conducted by a female conductor, just simply wonderful?'

27 minutes ago, Simon said:

Im sure R4 exists only to make the rest of the So-Called BBC look something other than far left.

Sad thing, is, if you do a lot of driving like me, UK radio really is dire for choice. 

There is radio 4, 3/classic, and usually, in any given area, 6-12 commercial stations. The commercial stations all seem to play non-stop american 'rap'. Often the same damn tune will be on 3-4 stations simultaneously, dozens of times in a single day. Radio 2 can be OK.Sometimes, but thats it. 

LW/MW is barely audible, and even so thats a mix of sleep inducing football discussion, and what seems to be an endless supply of Indian stations churning out headache inducing bangra music. 

Its quite shocking, the lack of any actual variety on radio. No conservative talk radio like in the US, no heavy metal. No nothing. I tend to just make sure i've downloaded enough off youtube so that I dont have to listen to the radio. 

9 minutes ago, Kilham said:

It's starting to creep in there as well though. 'Isn't this piece by a female composer, played by an all female orchestra and conducted by a female conductor, just simply wonderful?'

The news on Classic FM is SJW central. I think it was a target for the left as it is part of high European culture. They want to ruin it.

You don't hear much Wagner on classic FM these days.

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

They won't give a damn. Will carry on regardless.

They won't.  But the increasing number of non-licence holders combined with these falls in listening figures (there were also big falls for Radio 5) is making the So-Called BBC look like just another player.  Its overall share dropped to 50.9% across all stations and continues to drop.

And when it is viewed as just another player then why would it continue receive all the subsidy to make programmes to which nobody listens?

This is the first soft clanging of its death knell and why it has been ceaselessly chasing ratings by paying for big sporting events; it is losing its special status and when that has gone it loses its free money as well.

24 minutes ago, InLikeFlynn said:

A couple of weeks ago there was some lonely 40 something who wouldnt date some guy she otherwise liked because he was friends with her friends ex, and apparently it would be 'difficult' because of this.

She seemed to think because she had a reasonable job they would be queuing up to meet her. She would have gone with that guy, but 'deserved' something better. 

Cried on air too :D

There seem to be a never ending supply of wealthy, often powerful, and educated women on wahmens hour whining at almost unbelievable levels about the most inconsequential of 'problems' 

I'd be lost without R4.  Some of the output is good eg "Start the Week" and most of the other progs at 9.00am.  The Today programme can be a bit tedious and (I think) leftie. (my son an SJW thinks it's right wing!).  I even like Woman's Hour except for the recent overkill of transsexual c*** but that's because I quite like Jane Garvey.

Edited by janch
layout

13 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

The news on Classic FM is SJW central. I think it was a target for the left as it is part of high European culture. They want to ruin it.

You don't hear much Wagner on classic FM these days.

The news used to be passable when it was provided by sky but went through the floor when global news replaced it and has kept going.

1 hour ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Looks like Radio 4s ill-advised conversion to a diversity theme park has not gone down well with its largely white middle class audience:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/feb/07/bbc-radio-4-sheds-750000-listeners-in-year-rajar-figures-commercial-rivals

I'm one of the 750,000.

Yep, gave up R4 about a year ago.

I not just listen from 05.45 - 06.27 am, Farming programme, headlines, weather and business. That's it

After that, BBC silence descends on the household for the rest of the day as we also don't have a TV.

On reading the Guardian article I'm glad to see that Humphries is leaving Today. However, I'm not sure why it took him until now to realise what everyone else knew long ago.

I should have gone years ago' says John Humphrys on leaving BBC Radio 4 show

Edited by Hopeful

I was wondering why Humphreys retired this morning. I was expecting him to be dragged out of them in a coffin decades from now. It is a VERY lucrative gig and not that hard to do. Most people could do that job.

So is Humphreys going an attempt by the So-Called BBC to lay the audience decline on him and not on the SJW, anti Brexit, open borders, pro islamic agenda that seemingly so much of the So-Called BBC now seems to promote?

You can only call decent people far right or nazis for so long before they get pissed off. Some woke up to this some time back. Others took longer. But most get them in the end. Seems that 750,000 did last year.

I won't quote all of that @The Masked Tulip but I agree entirely.

What they fail to take into account in making these changes is the profile of their audience.

Where 90% of the audience is male they are not going to want to see men portrayed as being stupid whilst women always save the day.

Very few TV shows and films appeal equally to both sexes.  In fact I can only think of two:

• Red Dwarf (the fan conferences are famously 50:50)
  • Harry Potter films (whilst the lead character is a male it is written by a woman so women feature strongly but without making the men appear to be stupid).

For everything else you should remember who is paying to watch.  If Sex and the City suddenly had a clever funny male character come in who made all the women look stupid then that would be the end of that because the audience is exclusively female.