• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Class matters. Who'd of thunk it

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/feb/07/the-class-pay-gap-why-it-pays-to-be-privileged

i think the guardian is arguing that if you are working class, no matter if you have achieved, you will still be paid less. It’s a stream of consciousness and I’m not willing to wade into it in any depth. 

Crap journalism again on what maybe a good topic 

21 minutes ago, One percent said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/feb/07/the-class-pay-gap-why-it-pays-to-be-privileged

i think the guardian is arguing that if you are working class, no matter if you have achieved, you will still be paid less. It’s a stream of consciousness and I’m not willing to wade into it in any depth. 

I started reading the article but lost interest and didn’t read it all.

I think your frequent posts on class encapsulate the current state of affairs that there is only two....elite and serfs. I totally agree.

My personal experience in life overall as a serf* class from a reasonably well of family is that it’s a lot about who you know. My perspective is a rural area.

When I left school over forty years aged 16 I easily secured a decent public sector job and four years later moved to a local bank job that I could walk to in 10 minutes rather than drive a round trip of approximately 40 miles.

I’ve lost count of the number of jobs I’ve done over the years but I know that I’ve got most of them from who I know and a few from places who were desperate for employees due to people leaving all the time.

I prefer to think of it in terms of one’s life position, the area you live in and personal character can help perhaps. Life is a lottery regarding getting on IMO. Very few people in the uk overall earn over £60k.

*I will never view myself as a serf and have taken steps over the years to avoid working for low wages.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

I skimmed it.

Its wank.

Its in about telly, one of the few areas where naice middle class kids  of limited ability can still get a parent to pull some strings to get tgem a jib - at least until he her decides what tgey want to do.....

Not just bbc, but ch4 too.

The only other i can think of is medicine nhs - riddled as a cluque.

15 years ago there would have be print journalism and law. Both have been blasted.

Looking at the fall in ch4 n bbc viweing figures. And the ruse of netflix, i think the days of a nice but useless middle manager are very limited. 

If i worked at beeb and was under 55 id be worrying about my future - job n pension.

The working class are used to being patronised by the privately educated elite, but they'll never trust them. They always fuck you over in the end Guv. Intriguing as it may (not) be the Guardian has been promoting this 'defenceless little poor morons' schtick for years, apparently it's popular with the SJWs. This effluent of verbal flotsam is churned out at least three times a year without fail:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/08/why-working-class-children-have-little-chance-of-success
https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2018/mar/02/working-class-children-born-to-fail-teachers-disadvantaged-pupils

Incidentally I watched a BBC4 programme last night (on catch-up of course) on Old Dagenham. I had no idea it was a quaint, historic and quite salubrious little Essex village as recently as the early 1940s (photo below c1920). Then the liberal elite earmarked that area for resettling of the working classes from inner London, removing the dirges of society from their view, out of sight and out of mind. Every single one of the historic houses in the photo below (bar two) were demolished in the 50s - 60s. :(

Fast forward to now of course all the homes that replaced these, that were previously purpose built for Cockney Joe and Auntie Joan fleeing the "slums", are all occupied by the Mahound scourge. Not a white British person in sight. This fact was nervously skirted round by the host who I'm sure had inexplicably donned a stab vest for his vox pop. Talk about ethnic cleansing, Christ - in less than 100 years the cockney white working class have been forced out of their homes - twice. The liberal elite have been getting away with it for centuries.

dagenham-crown-street-early-1900s-D97T4G

Then and now (warning: very depressing). I weep for England. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4688332/Barking-Dagenham-seen-nostalgic-photos.html

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

Fast forward to now of course all the homes that replaced these, that were previously purpose built for Cockney Joe and Auntie Joan fleeing the "slums", are all occupied by the Mahound scourge. This fact was nervously skirted round by the host. Talk about ethnic cleansing - the liberal elite have been getting away with it for centuries.

A TV Licence is excellent value at less than 50p per day.

BBC2 Newsnight covered the Asylum Seeker Dispersal policy in a detailed investigation by Lord Razzel's daughter, Katie.

Quite an eye opener. :o

8 hours ago, spunko said:

The working class are used to being patronised by the privately educated elite, but they'll never trust them. They always fuck you over in the end Guv. Intriguing as it may (not) be the Guardian has been promoting this 'defenceless little poor morons' schtick for years, apparently it's popular with the SJWs. This effluent of verbal flotsam is churned out at least three times a year without fail:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/08/why-working-class-children-have-little-chance-of-success
https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2018/mar/02/working-class-children-born-to-fail-teachers-disadvantaged-pupils

Incidentally I watched a BBC4 programme last night (on catch-up of course) on Old Dagenham. I had no idea it was a quaint, historic and quite salubrious little Essex village as recently as the early 1940s (photo below c1920). Then the liberal elite earmarked that area for resettling of the working classes from inner London, removing the dirges of society from their view, out of sight and out of mind. Every single one of the historic houses in the photo below (bar two) were demolished in the 50s - 60s. :(

Fast forward to now of course all the homes that replaced these, that were previously purpose built for Cockney Joe and Auntie Joan fleeing the "slums", are all occupied by the Mahound scourge. Not a white British person in sight. This fact was nervously skirted round by the host who I'm sure had inexplicably donned a stab vest for his vox pop. Talk about ethnic cleansing, Christ - in less than 100 years the cockney white working class have been forced out of their homes - twice. The liberal elite have been getting away with it for centuries.

Then and now (warning: very depressing). I weep for England. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4688332/Barking-Dagenham-seen-nostalgic-photos.html

I saw that program. Many places similar..

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

I saw that program. Many places similar..

Well, Hampstead certainly wasn't, as they had the money to fight off the government, I think that was the point of the programme if you're moneyed then your area will escape the ills of government incompetence. 

I'd say that middle class people will in general earn more than working class people but it is because they have higher expectations in terms of career and will do more to achieve them such as relocate and work harder.  A working class person will put less importance upon their career and more upon their family and friends.  Most working class people I know haven't moved from the towns in which they were brought up.  Most middle class people have  moved for career reasons.

It's class related in that generally the higher your social class the more expectations you have.  Working class people tend to be more happy to emulate their parents; I know an electrician my age and a similar year at school who is the son of an electrician; and a plumber (amongst other work) who is the son of plumber and both still in the same town.

This can be the case with middle class people if they join the family firm but generally they don't just follow their parent's occupation.

3 hours ago, spunko said:

Well, Hampstead certainly wasn't, as they had the money to fight off the government, I think that was the point of the programme if you're moneyed then your area will escape the ills of government incompetence. 

Sortof.

If you are engaged and literate then you can find the councils.

If you cannot read and are not active you get rolled over.

4 hours ago, spunko said:

Until money meets money (then you still lose)  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6581007/Robbie-Williams-mocks-neighbour-Jimmy-Page-dressing-Led-Zeppelin-stars-bandmate.html

8 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'd say that middle class people will in general earn more than working class people but it is because they have higher expectations in terms of career and will do more to achieve them such as relocate and work harder.  A working class person will put less importance upon their career and more upon their family and friends.  Most working class people I know haven't moved from the towns in which they were brought up.  Most middle class people have  moved for career reasons.

It's class related in that generally the higher your social class the more expectations you have.  Working class people tend to be more happy to emulate their parents; I know an electrician my age and a similar year at school who is the son of an electrician; and a plumber (amongst other work) who is the son of plumber and both still in the same town.

This can be the case with middle class people if they join the family firm but generally they don't just follow their parent's occupation.

Most middle class people are good little workers, doing jobs they hate, to own cars and houses they don't need in order to impress people they don't like in order to climb the social ladder in a country they loath.

In contrast, most working class people have roots in their communities and can call on any number of people should they need to. They might have shit jobs, then again they might be doing much better than their suit wearing middle class superiors.

One thing's for sure, the revolution won't come from the middle class, it will come from the proles.

12 hours ago, spunko said:

I saw it as well. After Dagenham the programme went on to explore some of the "villages" in London. Places like Crouch End, Battersea. Recently gentrified areas. And some new build areas with high rise living where the planners were trying to instil a village feel. What was noticeable to me was that the people going about there every day lives in the background were pretty much all white, with very few, if any, darker skinned people around. 

I feel quite racist for pointing it out, it struck me as remarkable because the normal social comment these days is to encourage inclusivity, the areas filmed seemed to revel in their exclusivity.