• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Thank god we sold it

Recommended Posts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47155145

Jaguar Land Rover booked a loss for the last three months of 2018 as sales collapsed in China.

The company booked a £3.1bn reduction in the value of its plants and other investments leading to a £3.4bn quarterly loss, its biggest to date.

Carmakers are being hit by stronger regulations and demand for cleaner models.

Sales for the quarter were £6.2bn, down from £6.3bn a year earlier. It sold 144,602 vehicles, down from 154,447.

Jaguar chief executive Ralf Speth said: "Jaguar Land Rover reported strong third-quarter sales in the UK and North America, but our overall performance continued to be impacted by challenging market conditions in China."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, One percent said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47155145

Jaguar Land Rover booked a loss for the last three months of 2018 as sales collapsed in China.

The company booked a £3.1bn reduction in the value of its plants and other investments leading to a £3.4bn quarterly loss, its biggest to date.

Carmakers are being hit by stronger regulations and demand for cleaner models.

Sales for the quarter were £6.2bn, down from £6.3bn a year earlier. It sold 144,602 vehicles, down from 154,447.

Jaguar chief executive Ralf Speth said: "Jaguar Land Rover reported strong third-quarter sales in the UK and North America, but our overall performance continued to be impacted by challenging market conditions in China."

Are they saying the Chinese are shunning over priced shit because it`s dirty ...i`m sure it has fuck all to do with China's economy and everything to do with the environment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like it or not Hybrids and particularly plug ins like the new Mini are the way society is going (being pushed), this is not new news, yes it takes a long time to turn a diesel focus behemoth like JLR around but frankly the writings been on the wall for a decade. 

The numbers above are indeed questionable, yes they are down a few % in sales but the 3.1b figure looks like accounting trickery. The headline number almost helps make the recent layoffs justifiable but I’m not so sure that’s the truth..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would the Chinese buy a real Range Rover when they could buy  a Land Wind Chinese knockoff for half the price. 

1469564185549.jpg

For far too long these brands have courted the Chinese market without consideration that they'll one day have their own cheaper, superior product that's homegrown  

If they were British owned then perhaps they'd be more willing to pay a premium too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

Like it or not Hybrids and particularly plug ins like the new Mini are the way society is going (being pushed), this is not new news, yes it takes a long time to turn a diesel focus behemoth like JLR around but frankly the writings been on the wall for a decade. 

The numbers above are indeed questionable, yes they are down a few % in sales but the 3.1b figure looks like accounting trickery. The headline number almost helps make the recent layoffs justifiable but I’m not so sure that’s the truth..

Yes we must look the other way and ignore the environmental disaster that lithium battery production leaves behind 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spunko said:

Why would the Chinese buy a real Range Rover when they could buy  a Land Wind Chinese knockoff for half the price. 

1469564185549.jpgFor far too long these brands have courted the Chinese market without consideration that they'll one day have their own cheaper, superior product that's homegrown  

If they were British owned then perhaps they'd be more willing to pay a premium too. 

No one does chav as well as the Chinese 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spunko said:

Why would the Chinese buy a real Range Rover when they could buy  a Land Wind Chinese knockoff for half the price. 

1469564185549.jpgFor far too long these brands have courted the Chinese market without consideration that they'll one day have their own cheaper, superior product that's homegrown  

If they were British owned then perhaps they'd be more willing to pay a premium too. 

I look forward to seeing their superior cars, if Great Wall, Geely and MG are it, theycan keep them.

at least the Trabant had character 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

I look forward to seeing their superior cars, if Great Wall, Geely and MG are it, theycan keep them.

at least the Trabant had character 

JLR cars are consistently voted as the least reliable.  In 20 years time those brands that you name will be like Honda or Toyota impo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the “pleasure” of driving a full range of LR’s over the years. Generally fine when they worked, but that wasn’t often. Old defenders were the most reliable, but anyone over 6ft struggles with the 3mm of seat adjustment and I had to wear a dust mask due to clouds of dust billowing in from endless gaps between doors, chassis, flappy closed vents and gear stick/hand brake mounts.

Least reliable was a Discovery with it’s smart electronics management system.  After a long day in a leach infested jungle, jumping into the landie, turn the key and...nothing, but a message on the dash saying “contact your nearest land rover dealer” Basil Fawlty mode engaged for a good thrashing.

Never been let down by Toyota.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

Like it or not Hybrids and particularly plug ins like the new Mini are the way society is going (being pushed), this is not new news, yes it takes a long time to turn a diesel focus behemoth like JLR around but frankly the writings been on the wall for a decade. 

The numbers above are indeed questionable, yes they are down a few % in sales but the 3.1b figure looks like accounting trickery. The headline number almost helps make the recent layoffs justifiable but I’m not so sure that’s the truth..

Pushed is correct. Look at the most conservative fleet buyers of all, vans! All turbo diesels. They must know something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

Had the “pleasure” of driving a full range of LR’s over the years. Generally fine when they worked, but that wasn’t often. Old defenders were the most reliable, but anyone over 6ft struggles with the 3mm of seat adjustment and I had to wear a dust mask due to clouds of dust billowing in from endless gaps between doors, chassis, flappy closed vents and gear stick/hand brake mounts.

Least reliable was a Discovery with it’s smart electronics management system.  After a long day in a leach infested jungle, jumping into the landie, turn the key and...nothing, but a message on the dash saying “contact your nearest land rover dealer” Basil Fawlty mode engaged for a good thrashing.

Never been let down by Toyota.

You fool! you took it off road.:CryBaby:. Most of the shitholes I went to had Toyotas (but not leeches!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, spunko said:

JLR cars are consistently voted as the least reliable.  In 20 years time those brands that you name will be like Honda or Toyota impo.  

They just seem to run those stories on a rota, I think, like the ‘Aldi champagne beats Bollinger in blind taste test’. Probably designed to keep the proles happy by slyly massaging their personal vanity by implying they’re making the smart choices in life.

I doubt we’ll see The Queen chopping in her Range Rover, for a dreary Toyota hatchback, and popping to the nearest Aldi to furiously try and stuff her groceries, into a tatty bag for life, whilst the indifferent checkout assistant flings them at her, anytime soon.

If you adjust for complexity I’d say their reliability is probably middling or better than middling. For example, you can’t have air suspension problems on most makes and models of cars.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

The numbers above are indeed questionable, yes they are down a few % in sales but the 3.1b figure looks like accounting trickery. 

yes, I'm sure JLR are on the decline, and making a loss but 3.1bn in 3 months is an accountancy trick. If they recover and start to make a profit, they will offset this loss to avoid tax for a very long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What they need is an off-road vehicle, used by farmers, military, etcetera. A vehicle of almost cult-status that continues to sell and sell - not massive sales, but a reliable constant number of sales. Not flashy, but robust and easy to maintain. If only they had such a vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OurDayWillCome said:

What they need is an off-road vehicle, used by farmers, military, etcetera. A vehicle of almost cult-status that continues to sell and sell - not massive sales, but a reliable constant number of sales. Not flashy, but robust and easy to maintain. If only they had such a vehicle.

They couldn't sell the old Defender because of their beloved EU's diesel and NCAP regulations. It basically got regulated out of existence. Funny that Mercedes Benz can still continue to sell the G-Class and have done so in very similar guise for 40 years.

And yet JLR management are still having a love-in with the German dictators. Talk about not seeing the wood for the trees.

Diesel is a big no-no due to the EU but that's been coming for years. Throw in an emissions scandal (again originating in Germany), rip-off pricing, an economic downturn (#DespiteBrexit) plus unreliability off the scale, and inevitably this is the result. Doesn't matter though, politicians are happy giving TATA loads of tax breaks to close our steel plants down and wreck our long established brands. If we hadn't have sold it as per thread title it'd be much less exposed and trading comfortably I suspect, Indians are shit business people unless its the "buy in bulk, sell cheap" model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Captain Cavey said:

Had the “pleasure” of driving a full range of LR’s over the years. Generally fine when they worked, but that wasn’t often. Old defenders were the most reliable, but anyone over 6ft struggles with the 3mm of seat adjustment and I had to wear a dust mask due to clouds of dust billowing in from endless gaps between doors, chassis, flappy closed vents and gear stick/hand brake mounts.

Least reliable was a Discovery with it’s smart electronics management system.  After a long day in a leach infested jungle, jumping into the landie, turn the key and...nothing, but a message on the dash saying “contact your nearest land rover dealer” Basil Fawlty mode engaged for a good thrashing.

Never been let down by Toyota.

The old adage still applies.

If you want to go into the jungle take a Land Rover, if you want to come back out again take a Landcruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

All big car companies seem to massively balls it up at some point.

It's only the small guys like Morgan who keep plugging on in a sustainable way. dont spent a lot on management, jsut followign the profit and building the business from profit.

Theres a very important lesson here beyond 'Buying a car company is catching a falling knife'

Its that Indians and Indian company are shit. Its hard to explain. Most Indian business is based on throwing cheap labour at problems and hoping it works out.

Thats fine for argi labour. It does nto work with complex stuff like cars manufacturing and software development.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OurDayWillCome said:

What they need is an off-road vehicle, used by farmers, military, etcetera. A vehicle of almost cult-status that continues to sell and sell - not massive sales, but a reliable constant number of sales. Not flashy, but robust and easy to maintain. If only they had such a vehicle.

I do agree that they shouldn't have so casually discarded the market sector the brand was built on but my local dealer took on an Isuzu pickup franchise to try and maintain that customer base and they have really struggled to make money on them or shift decent numbers, I think - and it's a decent choice in that sector.

In reality a lot of the Defender market was selling to people who didn't really need them. In fact I doubt many users outside electric utility companies really needed such a capable off road vehicle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spunko said:

JLR cars are consistently voted as the least reliable.  In 20 years time those brands that you name will be like Honda or Toyota impo.  

I dont think they will.

Japan was a once off freak economy.

It was large but mobilised, and skilled/disciplined.

Chinas gone from being 0.001% Emperor/court + 99.999% peasant. To one where that sort of still exits but with CCP replacing hte emperor.

Its totally top down, beaten down grunts.

Japan was not like that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.