DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

How we treat heroes in this once great land

One percent

6 hours ago, MrXxx said:

Think it's time to bring this one to a close and just agree to disagree, although there are points that we all agree on...let's give the last word to those who were actually there in 1914-18 and try (for once) to learn from our history...currently on iPlayer they have the 2018 film `Lest we forget them` that is a compilation of actual footage (some colour treated) and interviews of the 1914-18 war...and not a romanticized treatment either..1.24 onwards is particularly poignant given the sentiments above about how we treat those who return.

you got a link for the thick people?

Was once explained to me that the squaddies are locked up and shouted at for weeks, then given a load of cash and beer and so they're obviously going to want a fight. Being in amongst it on squaddie payday in Amesbury or Blandford or wherever can be a bit much but once you understand that's the conditioning, they are being made that angry on purpose because that is what keeps them alive when they're out in some horrible nightmare doing the shit we need done but don't want to do.

Give them a wide berth and you'll be fine. They're being trained to kill and to die you can hardly expect them to walk out of the barracks and instantly become happy little office workers have a glass of wine and a cheeky nandos. They're obviously going to best your arse if you start acting up.

5 hours ago, sancho panza said:

you got a link for the thick people?

Here you go (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0brzkzx/they-shall-not-grow-old)...got the name wrong, but well worth watching.

Bobthebuilder
3 hours ago, Calcutta said:

Was once explained to me that the squaddies are locked up and shouted at for weeks, then given a load of cash and beer and so they're obviously going to want a fight. Being in amongst it on squaddie payday in Amesbury or Blandford or wherever can be a bit much but once you understand that's the conditioning, they are being made that angry on purpose because that is what keeps them alive when they're out in some horrible nightmare doing the shit we need done but don't want to do.

Give them a wide berth and you'll be fine. They're being trained to kill and to die you can hardly expect them to walk out of the barracks and instantly become happy little office workers have a glass of wine and a cheeky nandos. They're obviously going to best your arse if you start acting up.

I grew up in Blandford, was interesting at times.

sleepwello'nights
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:36, Wig said:

I’m not an advocate of killing a fellow human being - based solely on the colour of their skin / their flag - and I have issues. 

Ok mate. 

I am glad I was born in a time of relative peace and prosperity and never forced to join the military. Whatever the rights and wrongs of war I don't think any one, even our basest politicians advocate killing anyone based solely on the colour of their skin or the flag they live under. 

War is and always has been waged to exercise power and control over resources. It is, I am afraid to say, a part of our human condition. The only thing that stops someone taking the resources you have is force that can harm them if they try. The ancient Greeks were correct when they said might is right. The strongest always win, whether it is an individual or a group. 

I can understand how terrible things happen in times of war but it is disgraceful the way we treat our soldiers. It is shameful that the legal system is complicit in these attempts to prosecute soldiers fighting under orders. Wasn't there some sort of official attempt to stop these cases being brought a few years ago? 

Archived