• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Shamone

Good places to live in UK

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

My wife and I are looking to relocate from Herefordshire soon. Have been thinking of Pembrokeshire, Northumberland, even Scotland. What does the hive mind think is a good quiet place?

I might be naive here (coming from Shropshire originally, and soon to return) but Herefordshire is a place I'd put at the top of my list. On the doorstep to Wales and civilisation in the other direction. 

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

Do you have any restrictions regarding work/having to travel? 

we would have to get some form of employment but not paying a lot

1 minute ago, longtomuranium said:

I might be naive here (coming from Shropshire originally, and soon to return) but Herefordshire is a place I'd put at the top of my list. On the doorstep to Wales and civilisation in the other direction. 

it's OK but we fancy a change really

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

we would have to get some form of employment but not paying a lot

it's OK but we fancy a change really

Well that rules out a lot of very rural areas. 

How about Whitby?  Bit too busy in the summer but coast one side the moors the other and lots of dosbodders in the environs. 

Northumberland is lovely. All of Scotland rural areas likewise. I’m biased because I love Dumfries & Galloway and have lived here for 53 years now. 

Unfortunately decent local employment with a bit of security is difficult to find these days unless you have individual marketable skills that you can sell through self employment or work away for short spells on lucrative contracts

2 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Northumberland is lovely. All of Scotland rural areas likewise. I’m biased because I love Dumfries & Galloway and have lived here for 53 years now. 

Unfortunately decent local employment with a bit of security is difficult to find these days unless you have individual marketable skills that you can sell through self employment or work away for short spells on lucrative contracts

we are considering Lanarkshire too

Just now, Simon said:

not really thought about Yorkshire much. I guess a small town would be best

Lots in Yorkshire. You need to pick carefully as some of the large conurbations have decanted their shite into them. I give you Britton and Loftus as two prime examples of what should be nice places but have been ruined by the flotsam from boro 

1 minute ago, dgul said:

Hmm.  You live in Herefordshire and you want 'a good quiet place'?  You're going to have to be far more specific about what you want.

I know,it's a nightmare trying to decide

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

we are considering Lanarkshire too

Too inland for me and too near the central belt of Scotland.

I like being very near the coast and away from mass populations.

In my area of Dumfries &Galloway I can drive 10 miles on quiet roads, get on a train and arrive in Glasgow or Edinburgh in an hour. Similar easy rail links to go south to England.

Personally I would advise renting for at least six months in a chosen area before buying a place to get to know it.

1 minute ago, Van Lady said:

Too inland for me and too near the central belt of Scotland.

I like being very near the coast and away from mass populations.

In my area of Dumfries &Galloway I can drive 10 miles on quiet roads, get on a train and arrive in Glasgow or Edinburgh in an hour. Similar easy rail links to go south to England.

Personally I would advise renting for at least six months in a chosen area before buying a place to get to know it.

agree i think we will def rent for a while

As a general rule, people that move to 'more rural' areas tend to have two motives.

• They want to move away to a nice rural area, and then they'll settle down and enjoy life there.
  • They're unhappy with their life and think that a move to a rural area will make them happy.  They tend not to become happy in their new area (because, actually, they've taken their unhappiness (or what makes they unsatisfied in life, etc) with them).

Make sure you're not in the latter group.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

As a general rule, people that move to 'more rural' areas tend to have two motives.

• They want to move away to a nice rural area, and then they'll settle down and enjoy life there.
  • They're unhappy with their life and think that a move to a rural area will make them happy.  They tend not to become happy in their new area (because, actually, they've taken their unhappiness (or what makes they unsatisfied in life, etc) with them).

It's a good point. We are already rural but fancy a change of scene

5 minutes ago, dgul said:

Agreed.

Wherever you go there you are!

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I know sometimes I think it would be easier to stay put! 

I happened to be watching a Time Team from Herefordshore last night; I have pasted it in at the point where they do the aerial shots.

Wow, stunning place.

Pembrokeshier is looking like house prices are falling off a cliff if you look outside of the trendy/touristy parts (Tenby/ Saundersfoot etc) 

It`s a beautiful place but employment can be an issue and it can feel very isolated in winter i would say rent for a year before buying