• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
TheNoSnowMan

Oi Wanka! Get in da facking H'army

Recommended Posts

There's obviously some active scheduling of TV adverts, that goes on, where you have adverts related to the programme they're shown in the middle of. However, I was watching Full Metal Jacket a while back, and right in the middle of the boot camp scenes, they had an advert for army recruitment in the commercial break.

Just what's the thinking there? 

Some young lad's sat and home and says to himself 'yeah my life is a mess that shouty drill sergeant guy seems exactly the sort of bloke who could make me get my shit together, I'II join tomorrow'. Given that FMJ is essentially an anti-war/army polemical piece if it subsequently provoked anyone to join the army I can't help feel Kubrick would be turning in his grave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Army used to be a professional organisation..

Apart from drawing public attention I find it hard to believe these adverts work.

How about selling the benefits instead?  Instead of "You're a wanker and we need wankers"..   Want a career but don't know what?: 

*  Learn to drive (for free)

*  Travel the world  (for free)

*  Learn multiple transferable skill sets  (for free)

*  Retire early and pursue other careers with good pension benefits 

*  Stay fit, active and enjoy subsidised outdoor pursuits  

*  etc

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SNACR said:

*Be a totally disfigured from a landmine (for free)

*Be a homeless alcoholic, when we've finished with you (for free)

maybe dont come home at all or come home in a box/parts all for free.

 

People arent stupid, they know what could happen, and on top of that you may be prosecuted for your actions,even if they were orders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SNACR said:

*Be a totally disfigured from a landmine (for free)

*Be a homeless alcoholic, when we've finished with you (for free)

Well,  yeah..   but don't stick that on the fecking ad campaign !  xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SNACR said:

*Be a totally disfigured from a landmine (for free)

*Be a homeless alcoholic, when we've finished with you (for free)

*Beat up civilians and claim it's your PTSD and you're one of our boys and a bloody hero (go free)

Edited by NewryH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Libspero said:

The Army used to be a professional organisation..

Apart from drawing public attention I find it hard to believe these adverts work.

How about selling the benefits instead?  Instead of "You're a wanker and we need wankers"..   Want a career but don't know what?: 

*  Learn to drive (for free)

*  Travel the world  (for free)

*  Learn multiple transferable skill sets  (for free)

*  Retire early and pursue other careers with good pension benefits 

*  Stay fit, active and enjoy subsidised outdoor pursuits  

*  etc

 

 

Whilst I am generally a big fan of outsourcing it has to be in an appropriate function and properly managed.

The decision to outsource army recruitment was stupid because the contract will be targets-based.

In running this campaign it has become clear that one of the targets to which Capita is working is to increase the number of applications.

So have a think as to how you increase the number of applicants to the army.

Simple: make people who are fundamentally unsuited to being in the army (snowflakes, games addicts) think that they could be soldiers and get them applying.

The fault however lies with those managing the outsourcing contract and setting its terms rather than the operators who merely work to the targets set.

Quantity is the measurable in a recruitment contract; not quality which is what actually matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do wonder if more negative portrayals of war in movies like Platoon and graphic scenes like Saving Private Ryan might have had a negative effect on how an army career is perceived as prior to that it was pretty much all John Mills on a jolly jape boy's own adventure type thing.

Stuff like Invictus games are great for those participating but do serve to highlight the real risks of combat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Stuff like Invictus games are great for those participating but do serve to highlight the real risks of combat.

They love it though, don't they?

"Yeah, I thought my life was OK, but getting my legs blown off was when the fun really started!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot find either unfortunately but there was an Army recruitment advert I remember from the mid 90's of two young lads, just sat there not doing anything, talking about their mate who recently joined up with snippets of all the amazing things this mate was up to like skiing, visiting exotic locations and combat training. The slogan was 'Be the best'.

I also remember Spitting Image mocking this advert with there own. Same scenario, two lads talking about their mate who'd joined up. But this time the snippets were of him being blown up, using equipment that didn't work and getting bummed in the showers by his superiors. Their slogan was 'Unemployed. It's better than being in the Army'.

The difference then was you could tell the difference between the two. Real and fake.

These new posters scream of satire and mockery. It's getting harder to tell what's real and what's not.

Edited by TheNoSnowMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Army life -- it isn't for everyone but it can be positive for many.  Sure, there are risks, but the vast, vast majority of our armed forces don't get mutilated or killed on duty.

Anyway, I detest these adverts; they're aimed at the wrong people for strange reasons, and the only impact is 'we're not getting enough recruits -- more of the same please'.

It is the same for police, fire-service (and nurses, etc) -- work out who's most likely to respond, and target them.  Absolutely don't work out what you'd need to get some sort of invented balance and then recruit to normalise intake.  If it's a 'tough guy thing' and 90% of the population is white, target white blokey males.  Don't target sjw, ethnic minority or females and expect to get the same response rate (of course, don't have any prejudice against those groups; just don't target in recruitment).  Same for nurses -- if your most likely to get most results demographic is working-class females then go for that group.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

I cannot find either unfortunately but there was an Army recruitment advert I remember from the mid 90's of two young lads, just sat there not doing anything, talking about their mate who recently joined up with snippets of all the amazing things this mate was up to like skiing, visiting exotic locations and combat training. The slogan was 'Be the best'.

I also remember Spitting Image mocking this advert with there own. Same scenario, two lads talking about their mate who'd joined up. But this time the snippets were of him being blown up, using equipment that didn't work and getting bummed in the showers by his superiors. Their slogan was 'Unemployed. It's better than being in the Army'.

The difference then was you could tell the difference between the two. Real and fake.

These new posters scream of satire and mockery. It's getting harder to tell what's real and what's not.

Where's Frank?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SNACR said:

 

 that shouty drill sergeant guy 

Little respect around here, that's all I ask.

:D

6 minutes ago, dgul said:

Army life -- it isn't for everyone but it can be positive for many.  Sure, there are risks, but the vast, vast majority of our armed forces don't get mutilated or killed on duty.

Anyway, I detest these adverts; they're aimed at the wrong people for strange reasons, and the only impact is 'we're not getting enough recruits -- more of the same please'.

It is the same for police, fire-service (and nurses, etc) -- work out who's most likely to respond, and target them.  Absolutely don't work out what you'd need to get some sort of invented balance and then recruit to normalise intake.  If it's a 'tough guy thing' and 90% of the population is white, target white blokey males.  Don't target sjw, ethnic minority or females and expect to get the same response rate (of course, don't have any prejudice against those groups; just don't target in recruitment).  Same for nurses -- if your most likely to get most results demographic is working-class females then go for that group.

 

A lot of people I've met who are ex-army are completely mental, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I do have a feeling that a lot of trainers in the military saw these ads and thought that their job was about to get that much more frustrating. I was watching a program about the training of the Para's and during that, one bedraggled soldier was hauled out of a frozen muddy ditch and had "You fucking useless prick! You need to be tough! You need to be hard! We're sending you to shoot people in the face so man the fuck up and pull your fucking finger out you melt!!" shouted into his face - which I personally think would be a much better strapline for the posters rather appealing to the snowflakes.

I was in the fire service when they ran a similar proactive campaign. As a result the station that I was at received one very attractive lesbian who turned up for shouts when she felt like it but got away with it 'because woman/lesbian' and another bloke who was scared of heights and refused to go up a ladder. He was still there when I left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to join the army when younger and that was fairly common amongst boys at my school in the 80s.

I doubt it is these days because what you can reasonably expect to be doing has changed.

In the 80s it was training, Northern Ireland tours (some danger but very low casualty rate), and possibly one brief war like the Falklands.  You stood a very good chance of going through your twenty year career unscathed and also not seeing any of your mates killed and wounded.

Now with the experience of Afghanistan and Iraq you can expect, even if a territorial as @longtomuranium experienced, to spend a high proportion of your time patrolling around some hot country with no clear purpose waiting for you or your mates to be shot or blown up.  Should you survive it the army will then happily hang you out to dry even in old age if some lawyer makes a claim; however fictitious.

Why would you sign up for that?  That's why applications have been falling. 

A mate is a RAF engineer; he's been fine and the RAF or Navy still look decent options.  The Army and Marines role is more being uniformed Aunt Sallies these days.

I had a chat down the pub with an ex-soldier last year.  It very quickly became obvious that, whilst physically ok, he wasn't quite right and he described himself as "retired" making a joke about it but it clearly would have been on mental health grounds.  I assumed, though didn't pry, that he had seen close mates blown up or shot right next to him which is going to send most people around the twist eventually.  Whilst he was trying to appear chipper I can't see that he would ever get a proper job again. He wasn't even thirty.

If I was 16 now the only way I'd be joining the army would be if conscription was brought back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I wanted to join the army when younger and that was fairly common amongst boys at my school in the 80s.

I doubt it is these days because what you can reasonably expect to be doing has changed.

In the 80s it was training, Northern Ireland tours (some danger but very low casualty rate), and possibly one brief war like the Falklands.  You stood a very good chance of going through your twenty year career unscathed and also not seeing any of your mates killed and wounded.

Now with the experience of Afghanistan and Iraq you can expect, even if a territorial as @longtomuranium experienced, to spend a high proportion of your time patrolling around some hot country with no clear purpose waiting for you or your mates to be shot or blown up.  Should you survive it the army will then happily hang you out to dry even in old age if some lawyer makes a claim; however fictitious.

Why would you sign up for that?  That's why applications have been falling. 

A mate is a RAF engineer; he's been fine and the RAF or Navy still look decent options.  The Army and Marines role is more being uniformed Aunt Sallies these days.

I had a chat down the pub with an ex-soldier last year.  It very quickly became obvious that, whilst physically ok, he wasn't quite right and he described himself as "retired" making a joke about it but it clearly would have been on mental health grounds.  I assumed, though didn't pry, that he had seen close mates blown up or shot right next to him which is going to send most people around the twist eventually.  Whilst he was trying to appear chipper I can't see that he would ever get a proper job again. He wasn't even thirty.

If I was 16 now the only way I'd be joining the army would be if conscription was brought back.

50 years of cultural marxism in education has also probably not helped army recruitment much. When you are trained to automatically snigger at the union flag and belittle any and all British culture and traditions, and told repeatedly that Britain's empire was a shame and a disgrace, it is unlikely that you will see much attraction in joining a regiment that excelled itself at, say, Rourke's Drift or Spion Kop or Palestine or Imphal.

Things might change of course if we remain in the EU and the EU army starts recruiting.

 

Edited by Austin Allegro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

50 years of cultural marxism in education has also probably not helped army recruitment much. When you are trained to automatically snigger at the union flag and belittle any and all British culture and traditions, it is unlikely that you will see much attraction in joining a regiment that excelled itself at Waterloo, Mons and Normandy.

Things might change of course if we remain in the EU and the EU army starts recruiting.

 

To which I would the MSM.

The big films in the 70s included many war films (Zulu, The Guns of Navarone) where the British soldier was not only the hero but usually the victorious hero.

The big films these days tend to be childish escapism like the Marvel films - cartoons for adults - Harry Potter, or Star Wars.

Here are the top grossing films of the 21st century.  The only properly adult film in the whole list is The Passion of the Christ.

That's a big reason why boys don't aspire to be soldiers these days.  Or anything real at all.  Their heroes are wizards, comic book heroes, and Jedis.

We have retreated into fantasy land whilst western civilisation is being steadily dismantled by globalists.

 

1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Disney/2015) 955.7 11
2 Avatar (20th Century Fox/2009) 859.7 15
3 Jurassic World (Universal/2015) 699.0 24
4 The Avengers (Disney/2012) 679.6 29
5 The Dark Knight (Warner Bros./2008) 658.3 31
6 Shrek 2 (Dreamworks/ 628.1 35
7 Spider-Man (Sony/2002) 614.2 38
8 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men’s Chest (Disney/2006) 571.3 48
9 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (New Line/2003) 544.9 54
10 Finding Nemo (Disney/2003) 544.4 55
11 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Disney/2016) 534.3 57
12 Spider-Man 2 (Sony/2004) 531.8 59
13 The Passion of the Christ (Newmarker/2004) 528.8 63
14 Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith (20th Century Fox/2005) 524.4 64
15 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (New Line/2002) 510.3 66
16 The Dark Knight Rises (Warner Bros./2012) 509.0 67
17 Beauty and the Beast (Disney/2017) 504.0 70
18 Finding Dory (Disney/2016) 496.4 73
19 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (Warner Bros./2001) 494.3 75
20 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the King (New Line/2001) 484.4 83
21 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Paramount/2009) 476.5 87
22 Avengers: Age of Ultron (Disney/2015) 473.2 93
23 Stars Wars – Episode II: Attack of the Clones (20th Century Fox/2002) 472.7 94
24 Toy Story 3 (Disney/2010) 461.5 97
25 The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Lionsgate/2013) 451.9 99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eight said:

I've seen four of those; none at the cinema.

Beat you: five.  LOTR (3), Harry Potter, and Pirates.  Also not at the cinema.

I don't count Avatar as whilst I saw twenty minutes or so it was so irredeemably awful that I turned it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Beat you: five.  LOTR (3), Harry Potter, and Pirates.  Also not at the cinema.

I don't count Avatar as whilst I saw twenty minutes or so it was so irredeemably awful that I turned it off.

Avatar was hilarious! A very clever subtle parody of the sort of badly written, badly acted sentimental, anti-western, leftist, anti-capitalist dross that Hollywood is always churning out.

Erm...it was a parody, wasn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I wanted to join the army when younger and that was fairly common amongst boys at my school in the 80s.

I doubt it is these days because what you can reasonably expect to be doing has changed.

In the 80s it was training, Northern Ireland tours (some danger but very low casualty rate), and possibly one brief war like the Falklands.  You stood a very good chance of going through your twenty year career unscathed and also not seeing any of your mates killed and wounded.

Now with the experience of Afghanistan and Iraq you can expect, even if a territorial as @longtomuranium experienced, to spend a high proportion of your time patrolling around some hot country with no clear purpose waiting for you or your mates to be shot or blown up.  Should you survive it the army will then happily hang you out to dry even in old age if some lawyer makes a claim; however fictitious.

Why would you sign up for that?  That's why applications have been falling. 

Not just what, why. In the 80s the army was still seen as a tool for protecting the lives and culture of British civilians. Now it is seen as poorly paid grunt work for exploitative oil companies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Beat you: five.  LOTR (3), Harry Potter, and Pirates.  Also not at the cinema.

I don't count Avatar as whilst I saw twenty minutes or so it was so irredeemably awful that I turned it off.

I count 7 myself:

The Avengers

The Dark Knight

Spider-Man

Spider-Man 2

The Dark Knight Rises

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Toy Story 3

None in the cinema. Pretty sure most were watched while they were still in the cinema! If I had to pay I probably wouldn't of watched any of them. Maybe the Dark Knight films.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

I count 7 myself:

The Avengers

The Dark Knight

Spider-Man

Spider-Man 2

The Dark Knight Rises

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Toy Story 3

None in the cinema. Pretty sure most were watched while they were still in the cinema! If I had to pay I probably wouldn't of watched any of them. Maybe the Dark Knight film

 

 

 

I’ve seen all except “Beauty and the beast” and “Finding Dory”. About half in the cinema.

I don’t think I confused any of them with representations of reality though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.