• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Vanity project let rip or massive fraud and nepotism: the tale of the bridge that never was

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47228698

A failed plan to build a bridge covered with trees and flowers over the River Thames in central London cost a total of £53m, it has been revealed.

A Transport for London (TfL) inquiry showed the Garden Bridge Trust spent £161,000 on a website and £417,000 on a gala for the abandoned project. 

The design of the bridge cost more than £9m and the charity paid its executives £1.7m.

Around £43m came from the public's pocket, TfL added.

how fucking much for a website and a party?  o.O

I quite like the idea of the garden bridge.  Sure, there were lots of problems, but the main problem seems to have been one of political points scoring.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

I quite like the idea of the garden bridge.  Sure, there were lots of problems, but the main problem seems to have been one of political points scoring.

53 million though and is hasn’t got off paper. Massive fraud is the issue here imho, not the idea. 

24 minutes ago, One percent said:

A failed plan to build a bridge covered with trees and flowers over the River Thames in central London cost a total of £53m, it has been revealed.

A Transport for London (TfL) inquiry showed the Garden Bridge Trust spent £161,000 on a website and £417,000 on a gala for the abandoned project. 

The design of the bridge cost more than £9m and the charity paid its executives £1.7m.

About 50m....

1 minute ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Now, Maths has never been my strong point so can someone tell me where the bulk of the public purse has gone exactly?? 

Yes. What has it gone on.  

161k on a website seems a bit paltry. They could have spanked 10 million on that alone and I doubt anyone (outside of IT) would have blinked an eye. 

3 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Now, Maths has never been my strong point so can someone tell me where the bulk of the public purse has gone exactly?? 

See my op. A website and a party. o.O

Just now, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Thats £700k.

Wheres the 40 odd million gone? 

o.O  sshhh. Don’t ask. ;)  mates. Nepotism. ...

Just now, spygirl said:

_101759540_bridge.jpg

Quite a big loss to London.

Id be able to hide behind the trees then jump out and knife people...

xD  yes, muggers’ paradise. 

Fucking amateurs.

If the people running HS2 had been in charge they would have got the bill for the design of the bridge alone over £1 billion.

Surely the Garden bridge project managers could have suggested that it would

• Reduce the north south divide
  • Cut journey times from London to Birmingham by 10 minutes
  • Add capacity to the transport infrastructure
  • Prove Britain can still do big infrastructure projects
  • Supply vitally needed jobs post Brexit

Or whatever other bollocks is needed to keep a publicly funded gravy train operative until the taxpayer has been cleaned out. 

Alternatively they could have described it as the Digital Garden Bridge being developed using Agile Methodology then no one would have expected anything more than endless meetings to deliver a few static web pages with no functioning product at eye watering cost.

Edited by Virgil Caine

45 minutes ago, dgul said:

Yup. Really disappointed it never materialised. And the airport.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

So where did the remaining £41,722,000 disappear to.

Oops some more detail.

Quote:- TfL will now pay a final £5.5m of public money to the trust as part of the scheme's cancellation agreement, which the transport body said was 40% lower than what it could have been. The payout will help refund donors including £3,200 to the winner of a Garden Bridge auction prize who did not receive their promised game of "table tennis with Boris Johnson".

So that's only £36,222,000 missing now.

Fine example of Politicians pissing about with public money.

Edited by Chewing Grass

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Oops some more detail.

Quote:- TfL will now pay a final £5.5m of public money to the trust as part of the scheme's cancellation agreement, which the transport body said was 40% lower than what it could have been. The payout will help refund donors including £3,200 to the winner of a Garden Bridge auction prize who did not receive their promised game of "table tennis with Boris Johnson".

Consultants don’t come cheap you know. 

some more detail

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/opinion/how-was-the-garden-bridge-trust-able-to-spend-46m-on-a-non-existent-bridge/10030544.article

From July 2015 to March 2016, TfL released £27 million of grant funding to the trust. About £3.4 million was spent on legal, property and planning advice, but a full £23 million was spent on

• Progressing the design
  • Obtaining licenses, permits and planning approvals
  • Selection of trees and plants
  • River survey and ground investigation works
  • Procurement of contractors
  • Placing orders for materials 

How that can amount to £23 million in just nine months remains something of a mystery, even to the TfL and GLA officers closest to the project.

15 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Oops some more detail.

Fine example of Politicians pissing about with public money.

France by the look of it.

The figures show that 40% of the money, £21.4m, went to the French-based contractors Bouygues. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/13/garden-bridge-charity-spent-535m-with-no-construction-tfl-finds

No surprise that Bouygues are balls deep in HS2 as well 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/17/hs2-high-speed-rail-contracts-worth-66bn-awarded-uk-chris-grayling

Edited by Virgil Caine

Shocking case of fraud, obviously. But what really gets me is how the fuck do they get away with it?! My public sector employer cannot even buy stationery without first getting umpteen quotes to prove that they are getting vfm. And this kind of fictitious shit just gets signed off?! Should be a few prison sentences out of this if there was any justice in the world, imo.

Makes you sick that so many useless cretins are kept in champagne and caviar with this sort of thing and for doing sweet f**k all apart from writing bogus invoices for their professional services.

Someone should be swinging by their balls for this.

Bear in mind that the sum given by the government for the regeneration of seaside towns was ten million quid. 

Not each, for all of them.

And then these contemptible cunts manage to magic away the thick end of fifty million quid with nowt but a piss-up and a presentation to show for it!?

I want scalps. Fucking Boris's for starters.

7 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Shocking case of fraud, obviously. But what really gets me is how the fuck do they get away with it?! My public sector employer cannot even buy stationery without first getting umpteen quotes to prove that they are getting vfm. And this kind of fictitious shit just gets signed off?! Should be a few prison sentences out of this if there was any justice in the world, imo.

Always the case.

Helicopter money for blue sky vapour ware projects but nothing for legacy systems or infrastructure that people actually use.

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Someone should be swinging by their balls for this.

Bear in mind that the sum given by the government for the regeneration of seaside towns was ten million quid. 

Not each, for all of them.

And then these contemptible cunts manage to magic away the thick end of fifty million quid with nowt but a piss-up and a presentation to show for it!?

I want scalps. Fucking Boris's for starters.

This is a small scale looting of the public purse compared to some of the things going on.

Edited by Virgil Caine

18 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

France by the look of it.

The figures show that 40% of the money, £21.4m, went to the French-based contractors Bouygues. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/13/garden-bridge-charity-spent-535m-with-no-construction-tfl-finds

No surprise that Bouygues are balls deep in HS2 as well 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/17/hs2-high-speed-rail-contracts-worth-66bn-awarded-uk-chris-grayling

I work in engineering and would not place a single contract with a French outfit for anything but off the shelf stuff.

The French have proved themselves time and time again to be a bunch of scammers that cannot and will not deliver anything to time and budget.

Their Nuclear Power Station design, the EPR being the biggest and grandest of them all to date, if they start building HS2 it will end up costing between £165BN and £200BN just to get to Brummistan.