• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Morrisons - Wimmin v Men

Recommended Posts

Morrisons faces women's equal pay action

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47231497

I know this has cropped up a number of times.

And the story seems to get twisted depending who's writing it up -see headline.

On the R4 bizzyness feature , the (woman) lawyer said it was a bout jobs of equal value. And that an independent expert i.e. woman with clipboard from public sector .... would assess the jobs.

However .... if  the latter assessment is going to be used, the checkout wimmin  are screwed.

I always use the self checkout lane as its quicker and I can get rid of my change without the till person - who, is just as likely to be male as it is female, gets confused.

Id have lso have thought the warehouse are a lot more compelx, less automated, and require a better grasp of business processes. The only thing hte checkout person does beyond scanning is to ask someone to OK when I buy booze.

And thats another reason - checkouts can be run by under 18s.

Warre house cannot.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warehouse is like Universal Solider for order picking. Computer/headset tells them where to go what to pick they scan barcode and stack it on roll cage/pallet much less involved than till work. What is different is it is very physically demanding and knackering and if it's a high level order picking system in operation then the height puts a lot of women off and the speed of the various types of forklift/picker truck. 

High level order picker

bt-optio-h-series-ome100.jpg  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SNACR said:

Warehouse is like Universal Solider for order picking. Computer/headset tells them where to go what to pick they scan barcode and stack it on roll cage/pallet much less involved than till work. What is different is it is very physically demanding and knackering and if it's a high level order picking system in operation then the height puts a lot of women people off and the speed of the various types of forklift/picker truck. 

High level order picker

bt-optio-h-series-ome100.jpg  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

 

TBH you forget you're so high up as it moves along between picking faces at the same height until the wheel goes over the tiniest bit of broken pallet slat wood and sways violently.

The thing is, even if this succeeds, warehouse work will still have to pay enough to attract workers so if till wimmin are forced on to higher wages it'll just increase self-checkout roll out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SNACR said:

TBH you forget you're so high up as it moves along between picking faces at the same height until the wheel goes over the tiniest bit of broken pallet slat wood and sways violently.

The thing is, even if this succeeds, warehouse work will still have to pay enough to attract workers so if till wimmin are forced on to higher wages it'll just increase self-checkout roll out.

Employee: Pay me more I'm worth it!

Employer: No. You're not worth it.

Government: PAY THEM MORE!

And like magic the job disappears.

xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SpectrumFX said:

Employee: Pay me more I'm worth it!

Employer: No. You're not worth it.

Government: PAY THEM MORE!

And like magic the job disappears.

xD

Thing is, no one knows anymore what a job is actually ‘worth’. It’s been skewed out of all recognition by the exploitation of the Bennie system and supermarkets have been the worst offenders with their 16 hour, zero hour contracts  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, One percent said:

Thing is, no one knows anymore what a job is actually ‘worth’. It’s been skewed out of all recognition by the exploitation of the Bennie system and supermarkets have been the worst offenders with their 16 hour, zero hour contracts  

All go out on a limb here - when I use supermarkts the mix tends to under 20 and over 50.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, they equalise the pay.

You now have checkout work paying the same as warehouse work.

On your feet all day verses on your arse.

All that will happen is nobody applies for warehouse work and checkout work is oversubscribed.

I know how capitalism used to balance this disparity.

but how do they attract staff to the less atractive alternative now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, spygirl said:

All go out on a limb here - when I use supermarkts the mix tends to under 20 and over 50.

 

Retail's always had a backbone of younger people, for whom it's a starter job, and women going back to work when the kids are old enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

So, they equalise the pay.

You now have checkout work paying the same as warehouse work.

On your feet all day verses on your arse.

All that will happen is nobody applies for warehouse work and checkout work is oversubscribed.

I know how capitalism used to balance this disparity.

but how do they attract staff to the less atractive alternative now?

It would be very telling if they lost warehouse staff and were unable to replace them.  Then would have to offer more money to get them so demonstrating that the work is not equal at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

It would be very telling if they lost warehouse staff and were unable to replace them.  Then would have to offer more money to get them so demonstrating that the work is not equal at all.

My warehouse job pays minimum wage. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of candidates. How many of them are competent or capable is another matter, but the work always seems to get done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eight said:

My warehouse job pays minimum wage. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of candidates. How many of them are competent or capable is another matter, but the work always seems to get done.

Is it reasonably small and in convenient bus / walking distance for lots of people?

I'm not denigrating warehouse work; as a man it sounds far more attractive than working on the tills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Is it reasonably small and in convenient bus / walking distance for lots of people?

I'm not denigrating warehouse work; as a man it sounds far more attractive than working on the tills. 

'do you want the odd one?...................................................................nah actually I haven't got it'

'Can I get rid of some shrapnel?'

'Do you need a bag? '        'No it's alright I can fit it in here..............................actually could I have a bag please'

'These said they were buy on get one free on the sign on the shelf' 

'I'II just nip back and get something'

What's unattractive about that all day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Is it reasonably small and in convenient bus / walking distance for lots of people?

I'm not denigrating warehouse work; as a man it sounds far more attractive than working on the tills. 

The location isn't too bad, although no good for public transport from 6am starts / 10pm finishes / nightshifts.

The work is easy although somewhat tedious. For very few questions asked unskilled work, where basically anybody without a serious conviction can get a foot in the door, it is a better job than most of the alternatives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

Employee: Pay me more I'm worth it!

Employer: No. You're not worth it.

Government: PAY THEM MORE!

And like magic the job disappears.

xD

Like McDonalds they agreed to increase the wage, then now you have these big touch screens where i select what i want and pay then go and wait at a counter like in argos for someone to call out my number less tills, less staff same as supermarkets with there shitty self checkouts 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DoINeedOne said:

Like McDonalds they agreed to increase the wage, then now you have these big touch screens where i select what i want and pay then go and wait at a counter like in argos for someone to call out my number less tills, less staff same as supermarkets with there shitty self checkouts 

 

The one's that swabs on the touchscreen test positive for lots of faecal matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GBDamo said:

So, they equalise the pay.

You now have checkout work paying the same as warehouse work.

On your feet all day verses on your arse.

All that will happen is nobody applies for warehouse work and checkout work is oversubscribed.

I know how capitalism used to balance this disparity.

but how do they attract staff to the less atractive alternative now?

 

Yet the  young 20 soemthing female office admin staff sit on their arse all day, drinking coffee in an air-conditioned room applying their makeup and filing their nails, AND get paid more than any of the warehouse or tills staff.

Nobody seems to mention THIS pay gap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Snark said:

Yet the  young 20 soemthing female office admin staff sit on their arse all day, drinking coffee in an air-conditioned room applying their makeup and filing their nails, AND get paid more than any of the warehouse or tills staff.

Not mentioned on news, TESCO are making stock admin clerical staff redundant, or offering them roles elsewhere, where they exist.

Products will be monitored using bar codes instead.

Drastic cuts in every area of the business are being made, using ALDI & LIDL as an excuse.

Most of them will end up at DWP and HMRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our machines at work were in the main operated by Men and this job attracts an allowance of around £25 per week once you have passed the course.

So many years ago a group of Women created a stink with the management saying it was unfair that it was mostly Men on the machines as they thought it was an easy job and they fancied some easy money.

As many of us suspected most of them couldn't handle it when it got busy and they then started complaining to the Managers when they were put on the machine, in fact there was one Woman who got the machine allowance for over 10 years who refused to work on it.

Strong unions and weak management can be a right pain in the arse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Police.

Up until the last decade it was normal to have a Policeman patrolling by himself.

Known as 'the Bobby on the beat'. Dixon of Dock Green didn't have a wingman.

Why do we now hear that Police Officers should patrol in pairs, not alone ?

Women.

A single Policewoman should not respond by herself to emergency calls, or be on routine patrol. Even two WPCs are useless, as TV news showed us with the footage of one male dragging two WPCs from their patrol car, only being stopped when a Policeman arrived.

It used to be the case that Police were routinely sent out in pairs in really dangerous areas.

Since idiots like Cressida Dick run the Police, there are too many women. So we end up with them having to patrol in pairs, or more likely, not patrol at all, leaving community volunteers to fill the void.

Juliet Bravo was fine sharing tea and sympathy with relatives getting bad news, but she's next to useless in a frontline role.

#TooManyWomen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Not mentioned on news, TESCO are making stock admin clerical staff redundant, or offering them roles elsewhere, where they exist.

Products will be monitored using bar codes instead.

Drastic cuts in every area of the business are being made, using ALDI & LIDL as an excuse.

Most of them will end up at DWP and HMRC.

Shirley if redundancies can be made to save money without affecting performance, this suggests that management have been asleep at the wheel during the "good times" and consequently should also be for the chop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.