• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Diet fizzy drinks - just don't

DRINKING Diet Coke everyday increases your risk of dying young, experts have warned.

Two or more artificially-sweetened drinks a day ups the risk of stroke by a quarter and heart disease by a third, new findings show.

And compared with people who never touch them, the risk of early death is 16 per cent higher for diet drink guzzlers.

'Diet drinks are NOT harmless'

Scientists warned their findings should serve as a warning to those on diets.

Dr Yasmin Mossavar-Rahmani, lead author of the study at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx, New York said: "Many well-meaning people, especially those who are overweight or obese, drink low-calorie sweetened drinks to cut calories in their diet.

"Our research and other observational studies have shown that artificially sweetened beverages may not be harmless and high consumption is associated with a higher risk of stroke and heart disease."

Heart disease is where the blood vessels that supply the heart with blood narrow, increases the risk of a heart attack, angina and stroke.

A heart attack is where the artery is blocked, preventing blood from getting through - and a ischaemic stroke is where a blood vessel in the brain becomes blocked in a similar way.

Obese women at even greater risk

The new findings are based on a big study of women and show some groups are at even greater risk, with those drinking two or more diet drinks a day who were also obese having more than double the stroke risk.

And African-American women also had a higher risk of stroke.

Dr Mossavar-Rahmani did stress while their findings suggest a link, they couldn't prove diet drinks cause stroke and heart problems.

The research, published in the journal Stroke, included data from 81,714 post-menopausal women (who were aged 50 to 79 at the start of the study) and who were tracked for an average of 12 years.

One serving of diet drink was regarded as 355ml.

Dr Mossavar-Rahmani said the study had not looked at individual artificial sweeteners, saying: "We don't know specifically what types of artificially sweetened beverages they were consuming, so we don't know which artificial sweeteners may be harmful and which may be harmless."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8425260/diet-coke-stroke-heart-attack-dying-young/

Fortunately I've never liked the taste of diet fizzy pop because of its cloying sweetness; ditto non-diet.  I make an occasioanl exception for ginger ale but that's not even one a month.

I know three people for whom this is their default drink as mine is tea or coffee.  They drink two litres or more of the stuff every day, so over six drinks when the increased risk starts at two.

Two of them have had medical problems; one was directly related to the diet drinks and her doctor told her to stop drinking it.  She did for a bit but worked her way back up to two litres a day.

It seems to me an easy thing to give up but as I'm not drinking two litres of the stuff a day and don't particularly like it I'm not really going to know that.

In all three cases it has become their regular drink because of it having few calories so they were, and maybe still are, seeing it as the healthy option.

38 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8425260/diet-coke-stroke-heart-attack-dying-young/

from the article : Dr Mossavar-Rahmani said the study had not looked at individual artificial sweeteners, saying: "We don't know specifically what types of artificially sweetened beverages they were consuming, so we don't know which artificial sweeteners may be harmful and which may be harmless.".

Search for the "Aspartsame" - originated as a insecticide in USA - was denied USA approval to use in foods for many years - has been the most widely used artificial sweetner in the UK (I believe), and is still controversial - not yet proved safe or a health risk    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy and https://usrtk.org/sweeteners/aspartame_health_risks/  

Sainsburys used to sell a nice non-sweetened cloudy lemonade, they changed the recipie a few years ago to include aspartame - staff in the shop assured me it was the same stuff just the label on the bottle had changed. They lied ! I've not had any since.

2 minutes ago, Andersen said:

Search for the "Aspartsame" - originated as a insecticide in USA - was denied USA approval to use in foods for many years - has been the most widely used artificial sweetner in the UK (I believe), and is still controversial - not yet proved safe or a health risk    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy and https://usrtk.org/sweeteners/aspartame_health_risks/  

Sainsburys used to sell a nice non-sweetened cloudy lemonade, they changed the recipie a few years ago to include aspartame - staff in the shop assured me it was the same stuff just the label on the bottle had changed. They lied ! I've not had any since.

I don't indulge much or let the kids either but you just can't get sweeter free drinks now. Even coconut and pineapple juice( good mixer for rum) is contaminated with it. 

Sainsbury use sucrolose in a lot of their drinks. It occurs naturally in fruit in low quantities but is it any better than aspartame does anyone have any idea.? 

30 minutes ago, spunko said:

Chicken or egg situation surely. People who drink 2+ Diet Cokes a day aren't going to be getting their 5 a day I  suspect.

This would apply.  The people tanking down the diet coke do have as far as I have seen a particularly poor diet - crisps, pizzas, burgers, chocolate.  I've read that the artificial sweetener prompts the body to expect calories and then when it doesn't receive them through the drink it craves fast, empty calories.  That sounds plausible but I have no idea if there is science behind it.

This is also the new thinking about why people who drink lost of fizzy drinks have weak bones.  It was thought that the phosphoric acid in these drinks was binding to the calcium in the diet and so being excreted rather than absorbed.

A simpler answer is however now being proposed: people who drink a lot of fizzy drinks don't drink much milk.  My daytime drinks are tea, then coffee, then water.  Based upon what I am buying myself (four pints a week) and what I drink at work I am averaging a pint of milk a day; all in tea and coffee.  I doubt the three people I mentioned drink a pint a week.  I have also heard that their children are similar and, whilst this is a very small sample size, they have all broken bones.  When I was at school very few people broke bones despite falling off bikes, off cliffs etc.

https://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/features/soda-osteoporosis

13 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I don't indulge much or let the kids either but you just can't get sweeter free drinks now. Even coconut and pineapple juice( good mixer for rum) is contaminated with it. 

Sainsbury use sucrolose in a lot of their drinks. It occurs naturally in fruit in low quantities but is it any better than aspartame does anyone have any idea.? 

Per my previous post I understand it to be artificial sweetener in itself which is indirectly harmful in that it creates a craving for an instant calorie hit.

I don't think any of them have been proven to be directly poisonous.

14 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Sucralose is bad for your microbiome.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5522834/

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Per my previous post I understand it to be artificial sweetener in itself which is indirectly harmful in that it creates a craving for an instant calorie hit.

I don't think any of them have been proven to be directly poisonous.

There's quite a lot of bollocks around sweeteners if I may say so. None of them have been proven to be carcinogenic in any peer reviewed study - but sugar has.

That isn't to say that I think they're good for you or to be trusted, if anything they're probably as bad as consuming refined sugar and best limited.

A lot of it is due to call to nature I suspect, but how natural is sugar. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature

5 minutes ago, This Time said:

Sucralose is bad for your microbiome.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5522834/

Might be inflammatory if you're a mouse that's given a human-size dose.

There are a few limitations associated with this study. First, we only assessed inflammatory response in the liver of sucralose-treated mice by RT-PCR. Examination of host response using other endpoints and methods, such as circulating LPS and histological assessment, in related samples and tissues would be needed to better characterize the effects of sucralose in the body. Second, we conducted experiments using a single dose of sucralose at the human ADI, while human intake of sucralose is typically lower than this concentration. Our ongoing study using multiple human-relevant doses aims at better understanding time- and dose-dependent effects of sucralose on the gut microbiome and host. Third, the enrichment analysis of functional bacterial genes was performed based on the 16S rRNA sequencing data. Metagenomic shotgun sequencing and/or metatranscriptomics will further shed light on sucralose-induced functional perturbation of the gut microbiome. Finally, the identification of altered metabolites was based on the matching with the metabolite database. Future validation of key metabolites of interest with authentic compounds is warranted. Likewise, a more accurate quantitative analysis of altered metabolites using stable isotope labeled standards should be conducted.

16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

This would apply.  The people tanking down the diet coke do have as far as I have seen a particularly poor diet - crisps, pizzas, burgers, chocolate.  I've read that the artificial sweetener prompts the body to expect calories and then when it doesn't receive them through the drink it craves fast, empty calories.  That sounds plausible but I have no idea if there is science behind it.

This is also the new thinking about why people who drink lost of fizzy drinks have weak bones.  It was thought that the phosphoric acid in these drinks was binding to the calcium in the diet and so being excreted rather than absorbed.

A simpler answer is however now being proposed: people who drink a lot of fizzy drinks don't drink much milk.  My daytime drinks are tea, then coffee, then water.  Based upon what I am buying myself (four pints a week) and what I drink at work I am averaging a pint of milk a day; all in tea and coffee.  I doubt the three people I mentioned drink a pint a week.  I have also heard that their children are similar and, whilst this is a very small sample size, they have all broken bones.  When I was at school very few people broke bones despite falling off bikes, off cliffs etc.

https://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/features/soda-osteoporosis

Milk "for strong bones" is an old wives tale 

absolute botox

We don't buy or drink any 'soft drinks', so no squash or cans.  I wouldn't eat anything with an artificial sweetener, but I don't have much sugar either.

We either drink water or water flavoured with homemade elderflower cordial or sloe cordial. Those cordials are so easy to make.

We also don't buy any manufactired or processed foods, that includes biscuits, cakes etc.

A family member suffers from asthma and says that just a couple of mouthfuls of aspartame-containing drink (i.e. all soft drinks) will cause their throat to start narrowing, i.e. the start of an asthma attack. As a result all soft drinks are now completely off the menu and potentially dangerous for them. Well done government.

I've read that stevia is a relatively good sweetener being from plants but it doesn't seem to be used much in sweetened products.  Probably something to do with price as well as vested interests.

Similarly xylitol from fruits.

I don't know how credible or accurate any of those claims are.

I agree on avoiding fizzy drinks and those energy drinks seem especially dangerous to health.

Edited by twocents

20 minutes ago, Stunley Andwin said:

A family member suffers from asthma and says that just a couple of mouthfuls of aspartame-containing drink (i.e. all soft drinks) will cause their throat to start narrowing, i.e. the start of an asthma attack. As a result all soft drinks are now completely off the menu and potentially dangerous for them. Well done government.

Phenylketonuriacs can't take aspartame as it contains phenylalanine that they can't process due to a mutation.

Edited by Hopeful

3 minutes ago, twocents said:

I've read that stevia is a relatively good sweetener being from plants but it doesn't seem to be used much in sweetened products.  Probably something to do with price as well as vested interests.

Similarly xylitol from fruits.

I don't know how credible or accurate any of those claims are.

I agree on avoiding fizzy drinks and those energy drinks seem especially dangerous to health.

I remember fructose being sold back in the 80s & 90s as a great, if expensive, alternative to sucrose as it was fruit sugar so that's good and natural surely?

It turned out it was absorbed far faster than sucrose and so was more likely to damage organs.

Fortunately my sugar intake is restricted to the odd cake at work and one spoonful in each loaf of my home made bread.  Though my shining no-sugar halo slips somewhat owing to the two or three spoonfuls of sugar in each pint of beer or lager.  Cider has six or seven which may be why it gave me a stonking hangover and I no longer drink it.

2 hours ago, WorkingPoor said:

Milk "for strong bones" is an old wives tale 

absolute botox

Most probably thought up by the "Milk Marketing Board".

A bit like other groundless phrases dreamt up for advertisements but dressed up as if there were a scientific basis.

Anyone remember, "Six slices a day - The well balanced way" for bread? or "A Mars a Day, Helps you work rest and play"? 

Im sure there are many others, probably even promoting smoking as a healthy habit, if you go back far enough.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I remember fructose being sold back in the 80s & 90s as a great, if expensive, alternative to sucrose as it was fruit sugar so that's good and natural surely?

It turned out it was absorbed far faster than sucrose and so was more likely to damage organs.

Fortunately my sugar intake is restricted to the odd cake at work and one spoonful in each loaf of my home made bread.  Though my shining no-sugar halo slips somewhat owing to the two or three spoonfuls of sugar in each pint of beer or lager.  Cider has six or seven which may be why it gave me a stonking hangover and I no longer drink it.

There's practically no sugar in beer.

I am someone who drinks a lot of diet pop because I like it. I don't like hot drinks, especially coffee (in fact I hate it so much just the smell makes me want to vomit), I don't like milk and I don't like plain water. I'm not fat as I don't eat excessively. I have sandwiches for lunch and tea in the evening. That's it. There probably is a correlation between lard arses who think that drinking diet coke will mean they'll lose weight without considering what else goes in their mouths. But that doesn't mean the drink itself is the primary cause.

If drinking diet pop means I die in my 50's or 60's - so fucking what? What has my generation got to look forward to in old age? All the decent pension schemes are gone and the state pension will be, by then, practically worthless, if it even still exists. And also why would I want to end up like my 90 year old grandparents, both riddled with dementia, and my grandfather pleading to his God to just let him die.

I don't understand this obsession that we must all live as long as possible.

7 minutes ago, dgul said:

There's practically no sugar in beer.

Good-oh.  I have just checked and you are correct so I don't know where I read that.

tenor.gif

9 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

I am someone who drinks a lot of diet pop because I like it. I don't like hot drinks, especially coffee (in fact I hate it so much just the smell makes me want to vomit), I don't like milk and I don't like plain water. I'm not fat as I don't eat excessively. I have sandwiches for lunch and tea in the evening. That's it. There probably is a correlation between lard arses who think that drinking diet coke will mean they'll lose weight without considering what else goes in their mouths. But that doesn't mean the drink itself is the primary cause.

If drinking diet pop means I die in my 50's or 60's - so fucking what? What has my generation got to look forward to in old age? All the decent pension schemes are gone and the state pension will be, by then, practically worthless, if it even still exists. And also why would I want to end up like my 90 year old grandparents, both riddled with dementia, and my grandfather pleading to his God to just let him die.

I don't understand this obsession that we must all live as long as possible.

I can just about shade a difference between not wanting to have a stroke in your forties and wishing to live to a 100 with all your faculties failing.

DRINKING Diet Coke everyday increases your risk of dying young, experts have warned.

I'm too old to die young so that's a huge weight off my shoulders.

Or does it mean diet fizz will make me younger and then kill me?

Edited by kibuc

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I can just about shade a difference between not wanting to have a stroke in your forties and wishing to live to a 100 with all your faculties failing.

I don't disagree. I was merely pointing out that most of us, Gen X & onwards don't have much of a future to look forward to. If you make it to 100 with most of your faculties you probably did it accompanied with poverty.

Always have a can of Monster sugar free 1pm ish as a treat after two miles walk at lunch... Have heard several comments from lardarses who power through coffee every hour 9_9