• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Dave Bloke

Promotion

The missus has just missed out on a promotion. I know we're going to be set for months, nay years, of moaning and groaning about it. I've told her many times that at her level all the jobs are reserved for people who have some support from politicians or such like and that she should focus on the method "Dave Bloke" - that is doing as little as you can get away with, then a bit less.

In 35 years of career I've never once been troubled with any talk of promotion and as a consequence have never had any disappointments in life. Whereas the missus has spent the last 10 years working 7 days per week, sometimes until 2 in the morning.

Edited by Dave Bloke

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Imho, show any level of motivation and interest and someone exploits it for their own furtherance. Best not to give a shit and do as little as possible. 

Sad but so very true (with the exception of a couple of companies I've worked at) >:(

1 minute ago, dgul said:

'Career' is a mug's game.  There is, however, such a thing as 'happy with your working life' -- that one is very important.  If 'career' makes you happy then go with it -- but don't expect it to get you happiness after you've done the 'slog' bit; that's the carrot they dangle.

Good point. You need to be happy doing what you do. A key requirement of that is to learn to say no. It took me a long time to understand that one. 

10 minutes ago, dgul said:

'Career' is a mug's game.  There is, however, such a thing as 'happy with your working life' -- that one is very important.  If 'career' makes you happy then go with it -- but don't expect it to get you happiness after you've done the 'slog' bit; that's the carrot they dangle.

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

Good point. You need to be happy doing what you do. A key requirement of that is to learn to say no. It took me a long time to understand that one. 

Being genuinely happy with your work and not worrying about career or promotion really gets under the skin and unsettles those chasing careers and promotions.

Why? Because those chasing career and promotion are generally miserable from back stabbing each other and looking over their shoulders all the time.

However, that also means they'll target happy people out of envy in order to make their lives as miserable as their own. Staying happy gets under their skin even more.

The workplace is pretty shit in the UK for everyone.

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Being genuinely happy with your work and not worrying about career or promotion really gets under the skin and unsettles those chasing careers and promotions.

Why? Because those chasing career and promotion are generally miserable from back stabbing each other and looking over their shoulders all the time.

However, that also means they'll target happy people out of envy in order to make their lives as miserable as their own. Staying happy gets under their skin even more.

The workplace is pretty shit in the UK for everyone.

Oh yes. I like what I do, on the whole. I seem to be good at it (external ex@miners, students, partners we work with tell me so). Yet, there is always someone trying to have a go. Not everyone of course. I’m not paranoid, honest :).  The most significant is when we get a new ‘boss’. One was really unsure of herself but had visions of grandeur. She made my life hell. I just want to be left alone to do my thing and do it well in as little time as possible. 

35 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

The missus has just missed out on a promotion. I know we're going to be set for months, nay years, of moaning and groaning about it. I've told her many times that at her level all the jobs are reserved for people who have some support from politicians or such like and that she should focus on the method "Dave Bloke" - that is doing as little as you can get away with, then a bit less.

In 35 years of career I've never once been troubled with any talk of promotion and as a consequence have never had any disappointments in life. Whereas the missus has spent the last 10 years working 7 days per week, sometimes until 2 in the morning.

"doing as little as you can get away with, then a bit less."

That is the best advice I have heard for anyone* for years. Just do it

*well unless you genuinely are one of the tiny few who work for a purpose because they see value to society, unlike the rest of us who just need the money

45 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

All I can say is I feel her pain having been there myself.

I learnt from my mistake, perhaps this will be a wake up call for her.

It really is a shame that the reaction to this is to not give a fuck and do the minimum - and an ever bigger shame that I completely agree. Being like this is not good for society as a whole, but given the current state of play I can completely understand it.

Working hard and dilligently has gone from being rewarded to being a mugs game*

* There are exceptions of course

46 minutes ago, dgul said:

It is now.

Careers died 20 odd years ago.

Now its individual maximising income, minimising work.

Id guess about 80% of people ive worked with over last 20 years are in states or gone self employed / cinsulting.

Shame, as its dawned on loads of companies that they are need  people with these skills and ecperience.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

It is now.

Careers died 20 odd years ago.

Now its individual maximising income, minimising work.

Id guess about 80% of people ive worked with over last 20 years are in states or gone self employed / cinsulting.

Shame, as its dawned on loads of companies that they are need  people with these skills and ecperience.

Sadly, my employer has still to reach this level of enlightenment. They work us hard (stop laughing in the cheap seats) to the maximum and then come and ask for favours, doing stuff that is outside of the jd. fuck off is my response. 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Sadly, my employer has still to reach this level of enlightenment. They work us hard (stop laughing in the cheap seats) to the maximum and then come and ask for favours, doing stuff that is outside of the jd. fuck off is my response. 

Its quite amazing.

Ive commented on it about on the tgread about SAP ERP.

Most orgs n companies have a limited to the level of skills n complexity they can manage n recruit.

Look at MaccyDs - basic, easy to understand processes youd think. But tgey reject a look of people.

Need soneone able to follow written instructions? 30% of ukpop not suitable.

Need someone able to do %? 50% poof.

These are floor level skills.

Want someone to integrate a load of previous manual processes, streamline production, design a load of sensors feeding into a database, then analysing the results? ( At its core this is what AI n IOT is) tiny tiny tiny pool.

Spy .... do you know anyone who can do the abovr? Yes. Hes just signed up for 2 years at 1100/day. 

Oh... do you think we couod get some graduates in cheaper?

No.

There are so many orgs n companies going to get rolled over and killed in the next 10 years.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Its quite amazing.

Ive commented on it about on the tgread about SAP ERP.

Most orgs n companies have a limited to the level of skills n complexity they can manage n recruit.

Look at MaccyDs - basic, easy to understand processes youd think. But tgey reject a look of people.

Need soneone able to follow written instructions? 30% of ukpop not suitable.

Need someone able to do %? 50% poof.

These are floor level skills.

Want someone to integrate a load of previous manual processes, streamline production, design a load of sensors feeding into a database, then analysing the results? ( At its core this is what AI n IOT is) tiny tiny tiny pool.

Spy .... do you know anyone who can do the abovr? Yes. Hes just signed up for 2 years at 1100/day. 

Oh... do you think we couod get some graduates in cheaper?

No.

There are so many orgs n companies going to get rolled over and killed in the next 10 years.

In the public sector, they just happily recruit people who clearly are not up to the task.  They don’t care as it isn’t their money/reputation/business on the line. 

Ever wondered why public services are so shit?  Now you know. :)

i could reel off lists and lists of examples. The main recruiting criteria is, are you going to play the game and protect your boss’s arse. I’m sure @Hopeful will confirm. 

If in doubt, think about your "work-life balance", if you're not enjoying what you do - change something ;) 

A chap I was working with got forced to change careers more than 10 years ago, he was so happy to leave the politics and backstabbing at his old job he opened a pub called "Rat Race Ale House" :Beer: - now one of the top attractions in Harlepool ( granted there's not a lot of competition there xD )  https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g191274-d7899728-Reviews-Rat_Race_Ale_House-Hartlepool_County_Durham_England.html

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

In the public sector, they just happily recruit people who clearly are not up to the task.  They don’t care as it isn’t their money/reputation/business on the line. 

i could reel off lists and lists of examples. The main recruiting criteria is, are you going to play the game and protect your boss’s arse. I’m sure @Hopeful will confirm. 

Public sector throw people at problems as a large bit of the cost is pensions, which are in the future.

Public sector has no awareness of how much it costs to put a bum on a seat. Private do.

So public sector throw a body to fill a seat whos off on long term sick, who does not turn up , so they throw another.... all without realising that these jobs dont exist in private sector anymore.

Just now, spygirl said:

Public sector throw people at problems as a large bit of the cost is pensions, which are in the future.

Public sector has no awareness of how much it costs to put a bum on a seat. Private do.

So public sector throw a body to fill a seat whos off on long term sick, who does not turn up , so they throw another.... all without realising that these jobs dont exist in private sector anymore.

Don’t agree. A colleague is currently off long term sick. Management expected us all to pick up her work. For nothing, no extra pay or anything. You can imagine my response. xD

27 minutes ago, One percent said:

Most managers in the public sector, once they have achieved that position, really do not want to employ anyone that might threaten them, they'll only employ people that are less able and will arse-lick them and do the manager's job in return for a few crumbs.

Edited by Hopeful

Just now, Hopeful said:

Most managers in the public sector, once they have achieved that position, really do not want to employ anyone that might threaten them, they'll only employ people that are less able and will arse-lick them in return for a few crumbs.

👍 the issue too is when they are parachuted into a successful team by their nepotistic senior management mate. Ground zero time. 

If British "management" doesn't promote from within their politically favoured clique then they'll fill the vacancy from outside likely with one of their pals and often without qualifications who will then offload the responsibity for their incompetence onto the qualified people.

Stuff that for a game of soldiers.

Just now, twocents said:

If British "management" doesn't promote from within their politically favoured clique then they'll fill the vacancy from outside likely with one of their pals and often without qualifications who will then offload the responsibity for their incompetence onto the qualified people.

👍

10 minutes ago, twocents said:

Just to add in that regard British private corporate sector isn't much if any better than British public sector.  I dare say there might be exceptions to the rule if you search hard enough - I mean search really really hard.

Edited by twocents

13 hours ago, One percent said:

I have nicked this from the Tommy Robinson thread and the post made by @DocH because a section of it is so relevant here.

The rot has set into public sector and quasi-public sector orgs.

if you are not like them to begin with then, to get on you either must play their game, lose your soul to fit in with the corruption that gives them a cosy life on expenses and the 'personal status' they enjoy at dinner parties or,

become marginalised because they'll fear you, and so you come to realise that you have to get yourself out because otherwise you'll die with regrets for the way you led and wasted your one life.

Edited by Hopeful

12 hours ago, Hopeful said:

Most managers in the public sector, once they have achieved that position, really do not want to employ anyone that might threaten them, they'll only employ people that are less able and will arse-lick them and do the manager's job in return for a few crumbs.

Allways employ people cleverer than yourself. They have to make things work and you don't. Maybe they won't stay too long, but that is up to them.