• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

One way of dealing with burglars

As title

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39413376

Three teenagers who broke into a home in Oklahoma were killed by the homeowner's son firing an assault-style AR-15, say police.

round here, they break in in the middle of the night, seemingly with impunity. Now, if they thought there may be a chance of coming up against an assault rifle, they may reconsider 

What was the name of that farmer who shot a couple of burglars (and he was jailed IIRC)?

At the time I remember arguing with my father about it, he was pro-farmer chap and I was (obviously as a teenager) on the other side of the fence.

I think he'd been broken into numerous times, the coppers would do nothing and he finally flipped that last break-in. IIRC he shot one of them in the back as they were running away, hence the jailtime he served, though I'm not sure.

I think I'd be more on my dad's side of the fence these days

45 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

What was the name of that farmer who shot a couple of burglars (and he was jailed IIRC)?

At the time I remember arguing with my father about it, he was pro-farmer chap and I was (obviously as a teenager) on the other side of the fence.

I think he'd been broken into numerous times, the coppers would do nothing and he finally flipped that last break-in. IIRC he shot one of them in the back as they were running away, hence the jailtime he served, though I'm not sure.

I think I'd be more on my dad's side of the fence these days

He also shot someones car previously with a shotgun who had been scrumping for apples on his land. He didn't have a firearms license and shot the teenager in the back while escaping. The farmer was a nutter who should still be behind bars for murder. Only served two years or something.

5 minutes ago, Oskar said:

I don't see a problem with attacking burglers, if someone breaks into your house why should you hold back defending it?

What's yours is yours! I've never seen a burglar. I don't know how I would react!

Just now, MrPin said:

What's yours is yours! I've never seen a burglar. I don't know how I would react!

One can hazard a guess on how would you react if you had an assault rifle with reach ;)

53 minutes ago, gibbon said:

He also shot someones car previously with a shotgun who had been scrumping for apples on his land. He didn't have a firearms license and shot the teenager in the back while escaping. The farmer was a nutter who should still be behind bars for murder. Only served two years or something.

I'm not sure "escaping" is the right word here... Running away from a botched burglary might be better. Living in the country and being under constant threat of being robbed by travellers, which they were, I can completely understand his reaction.

Just read the Wikipedia article on it, the traveller involved sounds a real delight.!!

During 2003, Fearon applied for, and received, an estimated £5,000 of legal aid to sue Martin for loss of earnings due to the injuries he had sustained. However, the case was thrown into doubt when photographs were published in The Sun, showing him "cycling and climbing with little apparent difficulty" suggesting that Fearon's injuries were not as serious as had been claimed. While the case was pending, Fearon was recalled to jail after being charged with the theft of a vehicle while on probation on a conviction for dealing heroin.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

Just read the Wikipedia article on it, the traveller involved sounds a real delight.!!

And I heard from someone who had a relative in the force there that the number of crimes locally instantly fell off a cliff when Barras and Fearon were shot.

This was not an easily-led teenager on a dare.

I worry that people with gun licences secretly fantasise about the day they get to legitimately use their weapon on a "bad person".

The following scenario could be one such instance. Concealed-carry guy gets his big chance justified by a direct order to shoot from the cop on the ground and he puts 3 rounds into the unarmed perp as ordered, kiling him. Classic real-life instance bearing out the Stanford compliance experiment.

9 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

I worry that people with gun licences secretly fantasise about the day they get to legitimately use their weapon on a "bad person".

Dunno what I'd do if I found some scumbag in my house in the middle of the night. I'd set about them but chances are it'd be ridiculous. There wouldn't be any Chuck Norris moves, I'd probably charge them, half naked (with possible lob-on if just awoken) screaming and waving something inappropriate like a bog brush or a baguette.

At this point they'd either be weirded out and scarper or stab me to death.

4 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Living in the country and being under constant threat of being robbed by travellers, which they were, I can completely understand his reaction.

I hear that. They are a proper menace out in the sticks and probably only second to foot and mouth when it comes to ruining a farmers day.

I've had a few run-ins with them and I never cease to be amazed at what they get away with.

5 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I'm not sure "escaping" is the right word here... Running away from a botched burglary might be better. Living in the country and being under constant threat of being robbed by travellers, which they were, I can completely understand his reaction.

The synopsis I recall about this case raised a number of issues. First the jury decided that Tony Martin was guilty of murder and attempted murder after hearing the evidence, that would include a number of issues that probably never got reported. Second he laid a trap with the deliberate intent to shoot an intruder. Third the law allows an occupant to use reasonable force to safeguard their house. The shooting of an intruder as they are trying to escape shows that the occupier has already achieved what the law allows.

1 minute ago, sleepwello'nights said:

The synopsis I recall about this case raised a number of issues. First the jury decided that Tony Martin was guilty of murder and attempted murder after hearing the evidence, that would include a number of issues that probably never got reported. Second he laid a trap with the deliberate intent to shoot an intruder. Third the law allows an occupant to use reasonable force to safeguard their house. The shooting of an intruder as they are trying to escape shows that the occupier has already achieved what the law allows.

Nobody is saying that he wasn't guilty in law.

A few years ago I confronted what I thought was a burglar in my kitchen.

I was shaking like a fucking leaf - but knew that I would not back-down.

I turned the kitchen-light on via the dining-room switch - and marched-in to the kitchen in my underpants yelling "Who the fuck are you - and what are you doing"..?

He was also stood there in his underpants - and appeared to be burgling the fridge..!

The surreal-ness of the moment probably stopped me from punching the fucker - and I asked him to explain why he was stood in my kitchen, going through my fridge, dressed only in his underpants.

Turned-out my eldest daughter had met him in the night-club, sneaked him back home for a shag, and he was a diabetic.

He was in the fridge looking for something with lots of sugar 'cos he was hypo.

I'm so glad I didn't attack him - with that story, Peter Sutcliffe would've been out before me...

XYY

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Nobody is saying that he wasn't guilty in law.

Initially I sympathised with him. I would have been angry enough to want to kill someone who had broken into my home if I'd encountered them and had a weapon to hand. Later after considering the events in the light of more detailed reports I changed my mind. I doubted his claim that he fired into the darkness and unintentionally killed the intruder. He laid a trap in his semi derelict house and laid in wait. As I see it now he intended to kill the intruder. He had other alternatives, he could have made his house more secure for instance.

He wasn't found guilty on a technicality.

3 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Turned-out my eldest daughter had met him in the night-club, sneaked him back home for a shag

XYY

I think I would have been tempted to dish out a sound battering for that alone. 

#victoriandad