• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Roger_Mellie

Favourite sporting moments

Just watching Senna on ITV 4 and it reminds me of all the joy that sport has brought me. Mainly the connection with family and friends, together and sharing the experience.

Two of my favourites are this:

And this:

I watched the second one with my grandad and we both jumped around the room like lunatics, even though he was knocking on 70 at the time. It brings a tear to my eye even thinking about it. The first is just pure poetry in motion. Everything you need to know about courage in the face of adversity. The second forget Platt, even though he was an outrageous player, it's all about Gazza. My kids will never see his like like in an England shirt. 

But this... This... I thought I'd seen it all in boxing. I love Fury, I've seen all his fights, met him, got his autograph, this I'll never forget. Me, my wife and my 10 year old son all up on our feet shouting like idiots at 5am when Fury stood up. Beautiful.

Edited by Roger_Mellie

Salford knocking Wigan out of the Challenge Cup in 1996. They'd won it for quite a few years on the bounce, unbeaten since 1987.

Wigan: Connolly; Robinson, Radlinski, Tuigamala, Offiah; Paul, S Edwards; Cowie (O'Connor 50), Hall, O'Connor (Skerrett 27), Quinnell, Haughton (Craig 50), Farrell.

British Grand Prix 1987.   Mansell and Piquet in field leading Williams.   Mansell stops for tires around the halfway point, while Piquet stays out to run the race on a single set of tires.

I can't remember the timings, but basically the second half of the race is Mansell on full charge to make up the time lost on the pit stop. He slowly catches up, lap by lap. At some points it looks like he's not catching up fast enough. At other times it looks like he'll could just make it.  

Probably the most exiting F1 race ever for British GP fans, during what for many was the golden age of Grand Prix racing. The turbo button made overtaking possible, but increase fuel usage. Fuel gauges weren't that accurate.  Would Mansell make it? Would he run out of fuel? Would an engine blow? 

I wish there were a replay of the whole race somewhere online.

Edited by MvR

5 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

Calzaghe never got the plaudits he deserved for that performance. I called it mid fight, watching it with my brother in law. He's making it look so easy they'll all say Lacy was shit. Which is exactly what happened. Completely ruined Lacy who up until that point, unbelievably now, was being compared to Tyson.

4 hours ago, Stuey said:

Salford knocking Wigan out of the Challenge Cup in 1996. They'd won it for quite a few years on the bounce, unbeaten since 1987.

Wigan: Connolly; Robinson, Radlinski, Tuigamala, Offiah; Paul, S Edwards; Cowie (O'Connor 50), Hall, O'Connor (Skerrett 27), Quinnell, Haughton (Craig 50), Farrell.

Shiiiit. Look at that for a team. I was at Wembley when GB beat Australia, must have been 1994 I think. Davies scored  the only try just before half time and Edwards got sent off. Amazing game, I've watched it on YouTube a few times since. The try was off the scale.

7 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

And this:

I watched the second one with my grandad and we both jumped around the room like lunatics, even though he was knocking on 70 at the time. It brings a tear to my eye even thinking about it. The first is just pure poetry in motion. Everything you need to know about courage in the face of adversity. The second forget Platt, even though he was an outrageous player, it's all about Gazza. My kids will never see his like like in an England shirt. 

You’re not wrong. Absolutely sublime:

6 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

Ronnies 5min20sec 147

Seriously how was that even possible, 36 pots, 9 seconds a shot. Just think about that.

Another one I watched at the time. I can recall sitting there after thinking 'did that just happen?'

Shrewsbury beating Hasting & St Leonards Priory in the William Youngers Club Cricket Final at Lords in 1983.

There were two stand out moments.

The first was at the end of Shrewbury's innings when the ninth wicket went down with one ball to go. The number 11  on probably his only appearance at Lords  smote it back over the bowlers head into the Lords pavilion for six.

The second was at the end of the game when Hasting and Leonards needed two to win and the batsmen hit a steepling shot to the outfield. They were on their second run when a Shrewbury player ran to take a catch at full stretch to clinch the game

It was the best game of cricket I have ever watched with both sides evenly matched, playing to the best of their abilities and the result being decided essentially by two balls of the game.

Edited by Virgil Caine

Golfer Stephen Leaney winning the 1998 ANZ in Australia. He one-putted at least 7 of the last 9 holes and didn't lead in the tournament until sinking his final putt.

I'd gone to bed that night thinking Brian Watts was well placed in Japan for my £10 each way single @ 25/1 but Leaney was too far back for his £10 each way single @ 33/1 and the £10 each way double on both.

I got up next morning, both players had won and I copped over £10k!

Edited by Democorruptcy

Shaun Edwards sent of against Australia. We were in the seats next to the tunnel (i.e. the cheap seats). Awesome game. Somewhere amongst the group of lads hanging over the wall as Edwards walks past is a young Mr. Mellie. Try as I might I can't pick myself out though.